Where Is Everybody?

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
With most of the planet on lockdown, I find the lack of activity here disappointing. You would think that with people sitting home and doing what they should about social distancing, people might spend a little more time chatting on the forums. The shaving and drum forums I am on are far more active than usual. Yet this one seems to have gone the other direction. Tell us what you are doing to pass the time. Card games? Board games? Drinking games? Movies? Binge watching TV series? Sex? What up homies?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Weekends are traditionally slow here on the Coffee Forum website. I expected to see a lot of activity today, but so far there hasn't been much action.

I'm sure it will pick up as the days go by.

~ Rose

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
Nice to hear from someone AfricanCoffeeForever. NJ resident here as well. Buckle up because things are about to get pretty nasty over the next week or so. As the weather gets warmer I plan on getting on my bike a bit. Fortunately that is allowed. Try not to do too much comfort eating. Even though the gym is closed, you can still do pushups, crunches, lunges, wall squats and all sorts of things witout any equipment. Now all I need to do is take my own advice.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Sorry I have been quiet. Lock down has not been issued yet here in Florida. I have been crazy busy filling online orders. I am pretty sure they will shut our restaurants soon...My roastery is nice. I do not have to interact with anyone if I choose not to. Every time I think I can take a break I get another order. I am going to enjoy the biz while it lasts. I offered free shipping as well as buy 2 get 1 free...it helped. Oh well be safe y'all...gotta run...got more orders to fill.

709espresso

This is the most bizarre forum I visit. I don't come here much, because its never busy. This isn't really new.

Also, some of the questions seem really weird (like the question about finding help for a mother who has had a stroke).

I'm working from home on about quarter power right now. Once my editing work has dried up (I reckon I have about a week's worth, because I was super busy before I got sent home), I'll probably put my work computer away and start playing X-Plane again. Still drinking lots of coffee, waiting for a shipment, and I bought a bag of Lavazza at Costco the other day in case our mail service stops delivering before I get my stash of fresh beans. The weather is nice today again, but its freezing out there. Literally around zero. Tomorrow we're expecting 25cm of snow. Spring indeed!

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
I've also been drinking tons of coffee. What coffees have you been drinking MntnMan?

I'm drinking the same amount of coffee as usual. Just my one or two cups in the morning. I have been buying my beans from Bluestone Coffee Company in Montclair. I drink their Sumatra Takengon and I bought some Columbian decaf for my wife and son. All of it made in a french press and served as cafe au lait.

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
This is the most bizarre forum I visit. I don't come here much, because its never busy. This isn't really new.

Also, some of the questions seem really weird (like the question about finding help for a mother who has had a stroke).

I have to agree. Strange questions and some strange ways of posting as well. Like posting a single sentence as a post, then another sentence as another post and so on.

wmark

Nov 12, 2008
Canada
Visit site
Ya there were too many strange questions from strange/bored people. The best way to deal with them is to ignore them. I don't even bother looking at the post.

In Ontario, Canada where I am, all things have been closed since last Monday. As of tomorrow, all non essential business' are to close ...whatever that means. As it was, the only place you could go was the grocery store, pharmacy and maybe a restaurant for takeout only.

The most realistic guess I have heard was a reopening of business in June.......which means another 3 months of expenses with no income. Most of our business is restaurant supply which has gone to zero. We do have some online but that is a pittance.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Ya there were too many strange questions from strange/bored people. The best way to deal with them is to ignore them. I don't even bother looking at the post.

Hi WMark,

The "Off Topic" area of the Forum is one of the most difficult ones for us to moderate.

I wish the Administrators, who set up the Forum, never created that section. If it were up to me, I'd make it disappear....but, it's not up to me.

For now, I've been trying to edit the title of the posts, including the "Off Topic" ones, to make them more clear - I figure that it will help to make it easier for people to scroll past a post, if it doesn't look like something they'd want to read.

Any member, who has an on-line coffee related business, is welcome to post their information. (bending the rules for now). If you think that will help you, please feel free to start a thread so you can possibly get some on-line sales.

~ Rose

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I say the hell with the lame COV whatever it is. I've faced far worse issues in my life and I ain't skeered, lmao. Tell you my POV on the forum... I've always liked this place as it's not full of the arrogant enthusiasts that plague other forums. Their common belief(s) are more on the equipment you have, how much you spend, etc. or it's not up to their standards, which of course is total B.S. and I gladly say what I have to say in order to put some of them in their place. I've been a member here for quite some time and for the most part it's a good/solid forum with some decent discussions going. I will gladly say what does get old is the repetitive spam type crap like 'best espresso machines of 2020, click here' OR the 1 line 'what's the best coffee in the world', etc. I know the moderators have a lot to keep up with to minimize this and we all appreciate it, just some things slip through the cracks and just fill the forum with wasted space. I will always chime in if I feel I have something useful to add to a discussion as I think I've done my fair share with coffee over the years, especially espresso related things. Anything you/others would like to ask as I'm all ears? Well not really as I lost all hearing not that long ago. Just have to be sarcastic and laugh about it as it's quite devastating.

Regarding coffee... I live and breathe roasting and espresso. Once my order of greens arrive tomorrow I will have a 40 lb. stash, so I'm good for maybe 5 months. I know the viral issues are wreaking havoc on coffeeshops, commercial roasters, etc. in many cases. All I can say is that I'm seriously glad I decided to build my own setup and have been roasting about 4 years now. Especially at times like this and as long as I can find quality greens as needed I will have great/fresh coffee to get through any of life's pathetic ordeals.

Last edited:

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Scrambling.... LOL. For my business and my family (dad has respiratory issues). It's been a crazy week for sure for all of us. On the business side its certainly been interesting - I've locked my facility down (no biggie just locked the doors), have to reclean and sanitize all equipment and surfaces before roasting. The biggest thing has been figuring out the supply chain - increase need in Priority Mail boxes (some only available mail order via USPS), simple things like tape, etc. Fortunately, since my I'm a one-man business at this point accountability is easy and my overhead is low.

If you need coffee - support your local roaster :)

www.encorecoffeeco.com

Be safe out there and wash your hands!

Mike

aristopromo

Mar 29, 2020
India
Visit site
I am at home with my family. Actually, I always wanted to be at home, not going to office, enjoying with family. However, I did not know that situation like Corona virus outbreak would let me have what I dreamt of. It is sad, but it was a blessing in disguise to me.

I am watching TV series every day, watching movies, and trying to establish my business online (but the growth is pretty slow). My day routine is fixed and monotonous. But I am enjoying it to the fullest!