Which roaster to get (2017) and update (2019)

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Do you mean that Loring is way better than Probat and similar brands. I'm really new in this world, and have been researching for a roaster machine to use for my coffee shop but not for wholesale.

Do you recommend a specific one or at least can you narrow my choices, you seem very experienced in this field:coffee:

IMO... yes I would pick a Loring's over anything on the market... the best is subjective of course. The Loring is super flexible in controlling temp/airflow/etc... super easy controls, read-out. I was pretty impressed with unit we roasted on... however they are SUPER spendy.

almico

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
Do you mean that Loring is way better than Probat and similar brands. I'm really new in this world, and have been researching for a roaster machine to use for my coffee shop but not for wholesale.

Do you recommend a specific one or at least can you narrow my choices, you seem very experienced in this field:coffee:

I'm in the same position. I began roasting a few years ago thinking how great it would be to sell coffee to local coffee shops and restaurants. I started selling at farmers markets and was quickly convinced to sell coffee drinks as well as beans. I found that I really enjoy the people contacts and connections and, as much as I enjoy roasting, I could not see myself standing in front of a roaster all day. So as soon as the build out is complete in about a month, I will be fronting my own coffee bar, selling my own coffee. I think this is the business model of the future.

As much as I would love a Loring, the smallest is 15kg and costs a small fortune. Price aside, that's just too much coffee for me. I would think a 5-12# roaster should do for a single locale coffee shop. It depends on how many coffee varieties you want to offer. If you have only 2-3 coffees to roast, then a 12#er would be better. If you have to keep 10-12 single origin and blends on hand, then you will be roasting smaller batches.

I would think the Artisan 6 fluid bed roaster would be sufficient and if I were buying a drum, it would be hard to pass up the San Franciscan 6.

Meshaal

Aug 11, 2017
Visit site
I'm in the same position. I began roasting a few years ago thinking how great it would be to sell coffee to local coffee shops and restaurants. I started selling at farmers markets and was quickly convinced to sell coffee drinks as well as beans. I found that I really enjoy the people contacts and connections and, as much as I enjoy roasting, I could not see myself standing in front of a roaster all day. So as soon as the build out is complete in about a month, I will be fronting my own coffee bar, selling my own coffee. I think this is the business model of the future.

As much as I would love a Loring, the smallest is 15kg and costs a small fortune. Price aside, that's just too much coffee for me. I would think a 5-12# roaster should do for a single locale coffee shop. It depends on how many coffee varieties you want to offer. If you have only 2-3 coffees to roast, then a 12#er would be better. If you have to keep 10-12 single origin and blends on hand, then you will be roasting smaller batches.

I would think the Artisan 6 fluid bed roaster would be sufficient and if I were buying a drum, it would be hard to pass up the San Franciscan 6.

Exactly, 15 kg is definitely a lot for me. It would be only for my own coffee shop usage. If in my country there were competitive roasters I might not have thought of roasting. However, there are very little if not at all.

Right now, for some reason, I'm leaning towards the Probat. I thing the Probatone 5 perfectly covers my needs. I'm thinking about Turkish machines as well like for example, Toper just because I'm in the Middle East and it wouldn't be very far from my home.

As for the coffee I will provide, this would require a lot of research, I currently have no idea whatssoever about where I will get the green beans and the types I shall provide.

Makaha

Aug 16, 2017
Visit site
First timer. Would like to entertain comments on what your thoughts are about the Gene Cafe CBC-1200, or the Hottop KN B or P. Roasting is a hobby, however, I'm starting to get some interest from friends wanting to purchase what I roast. Thank you

Added information, the Hottop is, KN8828B-2-K+ and also the Behmor 1600+. Any comments or suggestion much appreciated, thank you.

Last edited:

jp2112

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
I thought I would post an update two years later. I ended up purchasing a Diedrich IR2.5 I love the company and the roaster. Great people. That being said, I did recently attend a roasting class held by mill city and those appear to be fairly solid roasters as well. I was initially turned off by the "made in china" aspect. I don't regret my decision. I do, however, wish I would have heeded the advice to buy a 500g/1kg machine for sample roasting and then got an 5k-12k machine. So anyone reading this post in the future, I hope you consider that approach.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I thought I would post an update two years later. I ended up purchasing a Diedrich IR2.5 I love the company and the roaster. Great people. That being said, I did recently attend a roasting class held by mill city and those appear to be fairly solid roasters as well. I was initially turned off by the "made in china" aspect. I don't regret my decision. I do, however, wish I would have heeded the advice to buy a 500g/1kg machine for sample roasting and then got an 5k-12k machine. So anyone reading this post in the future, I hope you consider that approach.

Hello jp2112,

Thanks for following up and letting us know how things worked out for you.
I'm sure there are plenty of people who will benefit from your thoughts about starting out with a different size roaster.

I'm glad that after two years you are still visiting the Coffee Forum. I hope you'll stick around, and share some of your knowledge with us from time to time.

~ Rose

gary3917

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
I can not see how you would ever buy a chinese made roaster at Mill city instead of a Diedrich ? The prices are about the same 21000 for a 5
kg Diedrich or 20000 for china built Mill city 6 kg . I will say I love those Mill City guys Steve anJoe Morroco and Dave .They do have great service .I just wish
I could afford them .I need to upgrade to a 6 kg this month but can not afford that .I only have about 12000 to spend. I wish Mill city would have a used machine in my range I would snatch it up today !! Thanx again for the update Jp2112
Gary