Will you make coffee with French Press at home? Which French Press are you using?

Scarlett

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
Hi, new to this forum.

Here I just want to share my thoughts with you. I like homemade French Press coffee. I enjoy drinking coffee at home while watching TV or listening music. I now am using Ecooe Stainless Steel French Press, which is a new brand but provides high quality French Press.

How about you?

Kudzu

Dec 5, 2014
Pawleys Island, SC
Visit site
Welcome to the forum!

I used the common Bodum glass press for years, and was completely satisfied with it. Several years ago, in anticipation of an Alaska trip that would include weeks on the road and some camping, I bought a Frieling insulated stainless steel press for its ruggedness. By the time I had used it a few times, I much preferred it to the glass press. Both my wife and I thought it made better coffee. I cannot say for sure whether that was just in our heads or, possibly, the more stable temperature and hotter resulting brew really made a difference.

ljsedivy

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
I started French pressing at home a few months ago and now I only drink my coffee that way. I had a press I bought several years ago from a Starbucks and only started using it this year. So I don't know the brand of it as it is stamped on the metal holder "Starbucks". I have a cheaper one (actually, 4 that I bought from Amazon that had super high number of reviews with high rating) that I have at work (I'm a retailer). I prefer my starbucks one at home. Not sure why, though they are very comparable.

Not a French press but ....

I use a Bonavita Ceramic Immersion Dripper.
Wide Base Porcelain Immersion Dripper | Bonavita World
It allows the coffee to steep for your desired time just like a French press.
After that time, you open the valve to release the coffee which passes through your choice of filter (paper, reusable).

I pre-heat the dripper with boiling water (as I do my French press), then brew my coffee.

Advantages of this dripper:
1. Much easier cleanup.
2. Better filtering choices - paper or what I prefer, a swiss gold reusable.

Advantages of a French press:
1. Can handle larger volumes of coffee - Bonavita dripper only handles 14oz (they claim 16oz).
2. Better heat retention during steeping if a vacuum/stainless French press is used.
3. Can be cheaper than the vastly overpriced (IMHO) Bonavita. If you notice my choice below, French presses can also be much more expensive too.

To get this thread back on track after my detour, when I use a French press, I use the also vastly overpriced (IMHO) Espro 32oz stainless vacuum French press.
Espro Press ? ESPRO - Make it Better - Coffee and Tea Gear

friedcoffee

Jan 12, 2016
India
Visit site
French Press is one of the nicest way of making coffee at home and I too prefer them. I have sterling Pro and love the way it makes coffee and keeps it hot for some while. There are many other options of French Presses these days but just pick any of them that is dishwasher safe and doesn't contains much of plastic parts. Rest, everything is almost same in every piece.

coffeeaddictmgms

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I started French pressing at home a few months ago and now I only drink my coffee that way. I had a press I bought several years ago from a Starbucks and only started using it this year. So I don't know the brand of it as it is stamped on the metal holder "Starbucks". I have a cheaper one (actually, 4 that I bought from Amazon that had super high number of reviews with high rating) that I have at work (I'm a retailer). I prefer my starbucks one at home. Not sure why, though they are very comparable.

I'm quite sure it's Bodum. Starbucks sells Bodum French presses and thats also the one they're using. Hehe. I have the same and I love it. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jhnywang

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
I just purchased a 3 cup Bodum french press, and I am trying to get the method down. But I am enjoying the coffee more, I don't really need to add sugar and half/half. Pretty interesting.

BGrubb

Nov 16, 2016
Irvine, CA
Visit site
Two things:
1) I make coffee for the guys who cut my lawn. It's part of my Saturday morning routine. I probably got in the habit because my wife doesn't drink coffee and I like to enjoy it with somebody, but now it's something I look forward to on Saturdays and I'd venture to guess they look forward to it, too. They get an awesome cup of coffee and a quick break. When I do this, I use a standard glass Bodum.

2) My other French press comment is that I purchased a Bodum with a glass carafe but a plastic "basket" and top - it's great for camping! It's always easy to heat up water, right? But if you just grind some beans and put them in a zip lock baggie you'll have prime coffee around the campfire. My friends make fun of me, but they're in line for my coffee vs. the instant stuff they bring :)

Franciskoh

Dec 4, 2014
Singapore
Visit site
Me too use a Bodium French Press for my everyday cuppas:coffee:! For the cleaning part, I usually fill the used coffee powder in French Press with cold water, and water plants in my garden.