Your favourite coffee house?

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I work at that shop...who gives you the discount...so I can fire them...just kidding(I don't work there)...It is funny you bring this up...I am on vacation and got to hang out with a buddy of mine(a roaster also) And we where discussing the whole barista guild that is being started through the SCAA....I told him that one of the most important things that needs to be stressed is customer service!!! I have been in coffee forever and a day...and hate when I walk into a coffee shop and some pompous ass that has been slinging coffee for a month thinks that I am there for him or her and in that month they have mastered the trade..whateva...sorry a bit crabby...but you get the point...

macchiato

I am not worried about cocky baristas. My love for foreign styles of coffee has led to a generative language skill: learning how to order coffee in different languages. If i don't know how to ask for a refill or how to get the waiter/waitresses attention I will get zero service. How does that compare to your baristas that overcompensate their worth?

CoffeeLover

Mar 7, 2003
Coffee Shop
Visit site
I need a new favorite coffee shop. After going to downtown LA to the coffee house there nothing competes with the atmosphere and that is key to actually sticking around.

Zanzibar in Irvine was a good location, one of my favorite things about Zanzibar is that you could walk outside by the fountain then upstairs and be sitting outside on the roof just overlooking people. Good meeting place. But they are closed now or a Vietnamese-French food joint :)

Rowley

Mar 7, 2003
California
Visit site
There are places in your area that are decent... but nothing compared to Los Angeles.

the style cafe in Korea Town is more on the side of a place to go and enjoy yourself for hours, this is catching on lately as people have more and more free time with less things to do. I personally enjoy doing nothing with friends as opposed to alone at home =).

See this story dw-world.de. I would personally take my wife/fiance (if i had one) shopping every week if malls in the US had something like this. I would love shopping if it meant i get to hangout at a cafe for hours. Although I may be happy drikning coffee while my bank account races towards 0. =)

microserf

Mar 16, 2004
Visit site
In San Francisco, my absolute favorite is Steps of Rome in North Beach. Great place to go after partying at 1015. 8)

Steps of Rome Trattoria
362 Columbus
415.986-6480

The most fun place in North Beach -- a trip to Rome. Best Italian food (including Risotto del Giorno) in a casual & friendly atmosphere. Modern Italian music. A perfect place for wonderful dinners. Arrivederci a presto a Roma!!!

The Scene
In true Roman style, the bevy of young Italian waiters flirt outrageously with the women, while gently poking fun at the men who accompany them. Large windows opening on to the street make this a prime spot for people watching. On a nice day, food and drinks can be enjoyed at sidewalk tables, while soaking in a bit of elusive North Beach sun.

Now that I'm off the crazy train life [for now anyway ;-)] and back home in Pensacola, Florida, my favorite place to get a strong cup a joe is a VERY cool place called "The Bad Ass Coffee Company" @ 1014 Underwood Avenue Pensacola, FL 32504, (850) 478-0634 – phone.

TBACC is a franchise, ( http://www.badasscoffee.com/ ) but it still has that "local vendor fighting corporate sprawl" feel. It's not super sexy like Steps of Rome, but they have wireless internet access. :)

All the best,

ms

microserf

Mar 16, 2004
Visit site
OH, and as far as Pensacola goes for a "frappacino" type ice coffee drink, I actually go over to a TCBY in Cordova Park, 4771 Bayou Blvd
Pensacola, FL 32503 8504758048 across from the mall on Bayou Blvd.. they have something called a "frappalatte". Great for a dessert/pick me up, and less expensive than the Starbucks across the street.

scooter

Mar 17, 2004
Visit site
Coffee Fest, DC

In for town at the coffee fest this weekend. Any advice on coffee shops in the area? Stopped in to Mayorga Coffee Factory, very cool and quite an impressive store.

Cafe del Mar

Mar 16, 2004
EARTH
Visit site
well...well
if you ever come to Dubai, the best places to have a cafe would be coffee bean and tea leaf located in a compound next to the beach called LA PLAGE. excellent ambiance and view...try the CHAI LATTE hummm....