Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Addicting

This is a discussion on Addicting within the Caffeine Health forums, part of the Coffee Addicts category; If a person injests enough of any substance for a long time, and if that person has negative physical and emotional symptoms when they stop ...

Super Moderator
    If a person injests enough of any substance for a long time, and if that person has negative physical and emotional symptoms when they stop injesting that substance, then the substance is addicting. I have known people who drank a lot of diet Coke throughout the day (contains caffeine) and then had the same headaches, jitters, and nausea, etc. when they stopped drinking it - the same symptoms that happen when people go through withdrawal when they stop drinking coffee.

I've noticed that recently when I visit the Coffee Forum and read all of the posts about coffee, I suddenly want to have a cup of coffee. If I walk away from the computer and go do something else, the thought usually goes away. I doubt that reading and discussing something can make you addicted. If you're already addicted, reading and discussing it will make the cravings come real fast.

Rose

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by PinkRose View Post
    If a person injests enough of any substance for a long time, and if that person has negative physical and emotional symptoms when they stop injesting that substance, then the substance is addicting. I have known people who drank a lot of diet Coke throughout the day (contains caffeine) and then had the same headaches, jitters, and nausea, etc. when they stopped drinking it - the same symptoms that happen when people go through withdrawal when they stop drinking coffee.

I've noticed that recently when I visit the Coffee Forum and read all of the posts about coffee, I suddenly want to have a cup of coffee. If I walk away from the computer and go do something else, the thought usually goes away. I doubt that reading and discussing something can make you addicted. If you're already addicted, reading and discussing it will make the cravings come real fast.

Rose
    You hit the nail on the head. I quit smoking two years ago, and mostly I don't even think about it, but when I smell it, or see someone smoking... MAN do I want to light up! It's a SUPER strong urge, but once the smell goes away, and I can no longer see anyone smoking, it's like that old adage "out of sight, out of mind' and it goes away.

And of course if you drink two liters of diet coke/coke or whatever a day, then yes you can get everything you describe. (I may be exaggerating with two liters, but whatever constant amount that is more than the "norm")

However, just reading and discussing something can't make you addicted to anything.. Except maybe reading and discussing it LOL...

Edited: As an example FaceBook, people are addicted to that, and it is simply reading and discussing
    Last edited by MyMugsHalfFull; 10-17-2012 at 07:36 AM. Reason: add an example:

Quote Originally Posted by eldub View Post
    Sounds like you might have an addictive personality.

Lol, I don't know but I am not certain about my addicting personality. Sometimes, I feel that I do have an addicting personality while sometimes I believe that I don't. So, I am not really sure but in terms of coffee, I don't know if you can say addiction or routine, whatever. "Positive addiction" is the best word for coffee, I read here on this forum the other day.

True.. Coffee isn't hurting anyone, so let it be an addiction. Just don't drink 12 cups daily

As long as you aren't suffering any ill effects from coffee, nothing wrong to being addicted to it. Seems like a harmless enough addiction. I can't see a reason why it would be harmful.

Even a facebook addiction can be detrimental to a lifestyle, I don't see how a coffee addiction could be...

Quote Originally Posted by MyMugsHalfFull View Post
    Even a facebook addiction can be detrimental to a lifestyle, I don't see how a coffee addiction could be...
    Lol, This is the best line in your post, I believe. That is so true, yeah. Even if coffee is addicting, it is not doing any harm to the people. All it does is keep the people fresh and charge them so they can continue working throughout the day.

So, my message would be to go for coffee without any fear. Obviously, not as much as 10 or 12 mugs a day as you just mentioned. As it is rightly said,
    "Excess of everything is bad".

Quote Originally Posted by btreath9082 View Post
    Hmmm, right, thanks for sharing this. My stand is that I do not believe wikipedia, simply because it is perhaps the most unreliable source of information on the internet and anybody can "edit" it anytime, which leaves no reason that we should or we can trust it.Yes, there will be a definite anarchy in case any government bans it, but before doing that, governments should ban the much more damaging and hazardous things such as cigarettes, drugs, heroine and so on and so forth.....
    The government should not ban these things as it simply creates a black market. I do not use drugs but who are they to tell me what I can and can't do. Give the few power and the many will surely suffer. In the US marijuana is a class one drug. What a joke. What a joke that also after going into Afghanistan the heroin production went from 5-10% of world production to over 90%. I'm sure plenty is flying out on military planes. Yet they kick in your door (80k no knock invasions pa) shoot your dog and arrest you for smoking weed. Half the US prison population is in their for Marijuanna offenses. Good excuse for access and to terrorise the public. Off topic I know

Right on, freedom4all.

Amen, bruddah.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom4all View Post
    The government should not ban these things as it simply creates a black market. I do not use drugs but who are they to tell me what I can and can't do. Give the few power and the many will surely suffer. In the US marijuana is a class one drug. What a joke. What a joke that also after going into Afghanistan the heroin production went from 5-10% of world production to over 90%. I'm sure plenty is flying out on military planes. Yet they kick in your door (80k no knock invasions pa) shoot your dog and arrest you for smoking weed. Half the US prison population is in their for Marijuanna offenses. Good excuse for access and to terrorise the public. Off topic I know
    Well the day they take my coffee, if the day they are going to need to do a LOT of cleanup. The first thing to happen would be to gather all the best coffee warriors out of Columbia and the rest of Central America, and defend the bean. Then stage two we would declare war on the people who say non-fat creamers be standard, stage 3 we would take back sugar and stage 4 we would finally be free to drink coffee again

Vive El COFFEE!

Viva la revolucion!

Quote Originally Posted by eldub View Post
    Viva la revolucion!
    Which one of the thousands eldub lol...

Of course, I am much more peaceful once I have had my coffee... If there was something worth fighting for, it would be the right to have that steaming cup in the morning so you can face your day. You know coffee has been the provocation of some revolutions lol.. Like the Boston Tea Party, it really wasn't about the taxes lol, it was about the taxes on coffee and trying to force people to drink tea lol

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Ads