Kopi Luwak :)

CoffeeShockwave

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I had the fortunate opportunity to visit a Coffee-Tasting Bazaar in Baltimore. One of the featured coffees was Kopi Luwak. If you don't know much about it, let's just say it was "processed" by a rodent called a "civet" and people pay exorbitant dollars for this added benefit. One pound can go for hundreds of dollars.

I spent $10 bux on a tiny sip, and I have to say. AMAZING. Once you get past how it was processed, it's actually an enjoyable cup. Smooth, rich, and aromatic. Not stomach-churning. Packed full of flavor.

I'd be curious to know if anyone else on these forums have had the pleasure of trying it.. bottoms up!

badmaash

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
I had the fortunate opportunity to visit a Coffee-Tasting Bazaar in Baltimore. One of the featured coffees was Kopi Luwak. If you don't know much about it, let's just say it was "processed" by a rodent called a "civet" and people pay exorbitant dollars for this added benefit. One pound can go for hundreds of dollars.

I spent $10 bux on a tiny sip, and I have to say. AMAZING. Once you get past how it was processed, it's actually an enjoyable cup. Smooth, rich, and aromatic. Not stomach-churning. Packed full of flavor.

I'd be curious to know if anyone else on these forums have had the pleasure of trying it.. bottoms up!

Isn't this the coffee an animal eats the beans then poops them out and then you roast the beans with poop on and drink?

Denvercoffeelife

Sep 30, 2012
Denver
Visit site
I have tasted this a few years back and think it's a bit over-hyped. I think people are paying for the story and not the cup qualities. Don't get me wrong it was good coffee but I can get same or better from a local roaster for a fraction of the price.

WonFeri

Jun 10, 2012
Indonesia
Visit site
If you drink kopi luwak make sure you drink it with expresso or black coffee style. Not suit with other style, and find out if it didn't earthy and fruity than your kopi luwak is fake or not 100% from the stomach of luwak(civet). Some people say caged is better than wild one or wild better than caged, but for me it's all about individual taste. I've tested many sources of kopi luwak from my country, the wild one, the caged one, from sumatra, java, bali and celebes, each has their own characteristic. Also the quality of kopi luwak not always the same, depend on how long it stay on the ground excreted from the civet, on what season it produced, the civet health, etc. The best beans is collected while warm. The colaboration between farmers and the civet is really really needed to produce the best quality beans of kopi luwak.

Won

Coffee_fan

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I first heard about Kopi Luwak when I was on holidays on Bali and I really enjoyed to drink this Coffee.
I think that's something everybody, who likes to drink Coffee should taste at least once.
But you have to be careful, where you buy this type of Coffee from, because some of the "Kopi Luwak Coffees", which are ordered are fake...
By the way, I found this little site, where you can win a Package of Kopi Luwak Coffee: kopi luwak direct.com / win-kopi-luwak-coffee/

Student

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
I've had the pleasure of tasting it a couple of weeks ago, I'm not a real expert since I'm used to drinking one type of basic coffee. But I have to say it tasted quite nice.
I did hear from a friend of mine that the Kopi Luwak is not produced as it should be.
The mammals used to pick the best berries to eat, now it are farms where the mammals just have to eat as much as possible.

NiagaraIT

Dec 26, 2012
Australia
Visit site
I had the opportunity to sample it recently while on a vacation in Bali.
The Kopi Luwak was from Negari who operate an organic coffee and spice plantation on the island.
The taste and the aroma is spectacular - if you are a coffee lover you should try it at least once.

You can buy it online at www.negaricoffee.com and it is affordable too - prices start at $25.00

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I have found out many of the Kopi Luwak coffee is fake in the market.
Even the one who sells legitimate KOpi Luwak sells fake ones.
Its not easy to make 200 pounds of these coffee and i heard they use their own method to duplicate the process and I doubt you want to know what that is.....

I am sure real Kopi Luwak is great and lovely to try but the cost is way expensive to get fake.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I also asked few people who are in the business and they said the same. Its because as the demand grew, supply could not catch up with demand. Therefore temptation of making fake is just out of site....

exscalable

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I tried it last year at a coffee farm in Bali. They had the cats (luwak) there and various beans with a guy roasting them. The theory is that the cats have a superb sense of smell and will only eat the best coffee cherries. They then pass out the undigested "bean" and the farmers pick these up off the ground. So it is literally cat poo.

Last edited:

JavaTeasa

May 2, 2013
St Louis
Visit site
I have never had the pleasure of tasting Kopi Luwak, as stated previously, I will need to get past its creation first. If I recall, isn't this coffee discussed by Jack Nicholson with Morgan Freeman in the film "Bucket List?"

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Yes, it was the featured coffee on "The Bucket List." I was impressed with the coffee maker that they used in the movie.

I would never try Kopi Luwak on purpose.

Someone would have to trick me into drinking it and then tell me afterwards....like a few days afterwards, so I won't be barfing immediately.

Even though I know the roasting process takes care of it, I still would imagine injesting all sorts of germs that I would rather do without. After all, the green beans are probably loaded with them, and then the person roasting the beans handles the bags of beans, and then probably transfers the germs to everything in his shop. I'm sure this happens with other green beans, but I imagine handling those beans is asking for trouble.

I just got over a wicked stomach virus that knocked me out of work for a few days.... I guess I'm a but over-cautious and over-thinking the whole thing.

Rose