Kopi Luwak :)

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Yes, it was the featured coffee on "The Bucket List." I was impressed with the coffee maker that they used in the movie.

I would never try Kopi Luwak on purpose.

Someone would have to trick me into drinking it and then tell me afterwards....like a few days afterwards, so I won't be barfing immediately.

Even though I know the roasting process takes care of it, I still would imagine injesting all sorts of germs that I would rather do without. After all, the green beans are probably loaded with them, and then the person roasting the beans handles the bags of beans, and then probably transfers the germs to everything in his shop. I'm sure this happens with other green beans, but I imagine handling those beans is asking for trouble.

I just got over a wicked stomach virus that knocked me out of work for a few days.... I guess I'm a but over-cautious and over-thinking the whole thing.

Rose

Rose,

Yes you are. I have tried few time and never those thoughts occur to me.
I do understand your concerns but if we did over analyze everything in that manor, we have to think about all the things can happen to all the meat product.

There are many things in the world we eat and don't know where they come from.

Most of the red food coloring comes from the bugs in africa. Coolade, punch, meat coloring, so on and so forth use bug juice.
Hot dogs. Do i need to explain?
Duck liver
Baby Pork (they slaughter preggo pork and take the unborn and cook those in Europe)
Veal
and more.

So little bit of a** crumb won't hurt anyone...

Did I make anyone sick yet???????

Cheers!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

CoffeeLovers

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Just want to emphasize that if you think Kopi Luwak is the best for anybody, then it’s your preference. Drink at your satisfaction. You can’t buy happiness as such no one can say you are drinking extravagance coffee but rather a treasured coffee in your life.

ruma

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

we can still find some growers who pick the wild luwak coffee bean.. But you have to be more careful in selecting the growers..

montre

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I have found out many of the Kopi Luwak coffee is fake in the market.
Even the one who sells legitimate KOpi Luwak sells fake ones.
Its not easy to make 200 pounds of these coffee and i heard they use their own method to duplicate the process and I doubt you want to know what that is.....
I am sure real Kopi Luwak is great and lovely to try but the cost is way expensive to get fake.

I can't agree more with you, CoffeeJunky. Most of the e-stores sell duplicate Kopi Luwak. As we know already that Kopi Luwak's production is scarcely low, so in order to meet the demand, they use some amount of cheap coffee beans and mix them with Kopi Luwak. That impurity degrades the overall quality of Kopi Luwak. I never recommend people to buy Kopi Luwak from just any store. My first impression of tasting Kopi Luwak is on my previous thread.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
i had a chance to try out about 8 years ago in Jakarta, Indonesia. at that time, I was not in coffee business. I was in electronic trading business. My Indonesian customer took me to a coffee shop that mainly known for Civet coffee. He paid for one cup for $20.00 (that is 200,000 rupee) that is a lot of money for indonesian people who makes just few dollars a day. Anyway, it had a unique flavor that I never remember having it in other places. Not so much of acidity. They said that while the Civet digests the beans, the acidity gets reduced and while the beans go thru the intestines, it absorbs something from there and changes the flavors and poops out. Interesting and "disgustingly", the coffee shop had a quite nice window displays of actual civet poops in a very expensive looking nice plates. (no matter what... it does seems to be right...) 95% of the poop was the coffee beans and 5% was the .... you know what....

Taste was rather soft and mild. (None of that poop smell.. if you ask me) Not so much acidity. very interesting flavor, but never the best.

I again had a chance to try it again at nearby my home coffee shop owned by a rich young Indian guy. (I live about 5 miles away from LA Indian town) that was the only coffee shop in LA area that was selling Civet coffee that I know of. $30 for a cup!!!! I passed it without a second thought. and then, a month later, the coffee shop went out of business... now yogurtland!

IT IS A VERY TOUGH SELL. If you ask me, it is 99% marketing / demand & supply. I can bet you that any coffee (85 points and up) from huehue or Atitlan will beat it at taste test.

zonakopi

Jul 16, 2014
Indonesia
Visit site
Hy, i from Indonesia, civet coffee producing countries. If you want to buy civet coffee, make sure the coffee is produced by the wild as wild civet civet smarter in choosing good coffee beans

masdeal

Dec 29, 2014
Jakarta - Indonesia
Visit site
This coffee is my favorite. Didn't matter what people says about this coffee, I'm already in love with this coffee. But careful, many people out there selling fake Civet Coffee or Kopi Luwak, the real one taste better and the fake one taste a little bit bitter.

Bacchus

Nov 9, 2014
No. California
Visit site
I haven't tried the coffee but I have smoked cigars infused with Kopi Luwak. I didn't find them to be very different from cigars infused with other substances. Slightly different but also mild. I'd certainly try the coffee were it not for the price of it.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
This coffee is my favorite. Didn't matter what people says about this coffee, I'm already in love with this coffee. But careful, many people out there selling fake Civet Coffee or Kopi Luwak, the real one taste better and the fake one taste a little bit bitter.

I guess there's no accounting for taste, is there?

I would agree that everyone's palate is slightly different, and what registers on your palate as perfect may not with mine, so I would never say this shouldn't be your favorite coffee. But I've had plenty of authentic KL, and have it shipped here as green from a certified importer. It just doesn't have all that much to offer, and I wouldn't care if it was priced at $4/lb. just like everyday great Sumatra; I'd still pick the Sumatra.

I wonder how many of the Kopi Luwak fanboys are either trying to brag that they can afford the stuff, or perhaps simply want to convince themselves of how marvelous it is in order to justify the ridiculous expense.

KoffsterReviews

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
very tricky coffee this is... lots of fraud going on. For example, there's tons of this stuff on Ebay - which is just normal coffee beans being repacked for sale under the name Kopi Luwak... or even worse, the poor civet cats have been kept in cages and mistreated their whole lives. Don't buy it.

Nucer

Aug 6, 2014
Benbrook, Texas
Visit site
First, is it worth $100 a pound? Probably not but it is a unique coffee. I like Peter have had the actual Kopi Luwak with a sample of the unfinished product as proof. I found the coffee to be very nice. Low acidity with a mouthfeel of syrup. It was much different from a Sumatra. It had a sweetness that I can't described and the ending of the mouthfeel syrup was totally unique.

The wife like most people was turned off by the origiant of this coffee. I roasted it and brewed it up. The smell was so appealing she agree to try some. After that I had to fight to get another cup. We both agreed it was worth the one time try but it is out of my price range for coffee. So yes this coffee is unique and should be tried.

Now whethter it is an everyday coffee is another topic for discussion.

(glad to have tasted this coffee)