Kopi Luwak :)

CoffeeBeanNYC

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
The process is interesting - we visited one of the farms in Indonesia. The animals are caged, fed coffee beans. I was not interested in paying extra bucks to try this coffee so cannot talk about its taste. I heard they started doing similar process in Africa (but using elephants poop instead). :)

Kopi008

Jan 9, 2015
Indonesia
Visit site
I ve tried and I always have it,... It is the best,... agreed, thumbs up.
I agree as the taste is so smooth nice strong, a bit caramel sweet and very nice smell,.. very strong coffee smell.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I ve tried and I always have it,... It is the best,... agreed, thumbs up.
I agree as the taste is so smooth nice strong, a bit caramel sweet and very nice smell,.. very strong coffee smell.

Rick,

It looks like this explains my question in the Introduction thread regarding your choice for your user name on this forum.

Rose

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
Rick,

It looks like this explains my question in the Introduction thread regarding your choice for your user name on this forum.

Rose

hi Rose again, Maybe or maybe not about his user name. Since Rick is from Jakarta, Indonesia, i guess it is logical that he or anyone else from Indonesia "defends" or "promotes" their own most famous coffee, Kopi Luwak. it is quite understandable. for me, I tried it twice, once in Jakarta (about 8 years ago) and one more time in Los Angeles couple of years back.

L.A. Luwak was horrible, probably mainly due to old beans or fake beans...I do not know.
but the one I tried in Jakarta was very "distinctively different & unique flavor".
I do not want to go into "moral side" of Luwak coffee nor "marketing side" of it because everyone knows it and there is no point discussing it over and over again.
however, if you have a chance to try out the real, fresh (ouch! I did not mean that way :+) ... freshly roasted luwak coffee, it is quite interesting and different flavors than any other coffees that I tried in Guatemala.

i guess that it is worth trying it out, if anyone has the chance.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I have mentioned it in the past, there are many fake Kopi Luwak is being sold as original. Most of them are low quality Sumatra and also they are being sold already roasted. There are very few place you can get the Unroasted Kopi Luwak. So most of them would be staled or fake.

I have privilege of trying several time and it was NOT mind blowing experience.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
I have privilege of trying several time and it was NOT mind blowing experience.

hey CJ. I recommend you to try it out in Jakarta. you might change your mind. :+) however, I also would not call it "mind blowing", actually it was such a long time ago that I can not really remember 100%. I just remember that the flavor was not really common and very unique. But I liked it very much. also, as you can imagine, the real Luwak is not as expensive as in other countries.

by the way, do you have any suggestions on "mind blowing experience" coffees that I can buy here in USA and take them to Guatemala? I really want my office people to try out some different coffees. In Guatemala, it is really impossible to get other good coffees from other countries (besides coffees from Central America). Let me know if you know some good sources. thanks C.J.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
My mind blowing experience of coffee came from Bali. I haven't had coffee exploratory trip in about a year. I normally do few times but I have been busy opening few more coffee shops and just haven't had chance. Bali and Indonesia is very close by but they do have some distinctive differences in flavor. If you would like, I can send you the link to the coffee I have tried.

When I had Kopi Luwak, it was from Indonesian government program. They wanted to promote their product and that was the part of experience I had privileged of having to try last year. Before that, I was in Japan when I had my cup about 4 years ago. The flavor is very complex and very aromatic. Nothing was very over kill or over powering but very gentle and persuasive. It almost like complex blend but came from just one bean. That was my experience of Kopi Luwak. I would have given around 90-91. Not over 92 if I had to give points.

Coffeefix

Dec 17, 2014
United Kingdom
Visit site
I guess if you like the idea of beans "ageing" in the gut of a Civet then it could be ok. It gives another angle to the term "espresso" too? Can't help thinking the Indonesians are a cheerful bunch, probably because we pay such a price for beans that the cat ate. They probably think we're crazy.
Don't think the high price is because the locals search the huge forest floor for the relatively small Civet excrement though. For around 80% of the animals it's very different. I've seen some pictures of Civets kept in pretty poor conditions, often force fed coffee fruit. Not nice.
Now then, I've had an idea... Sweetcorn?

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Not "aging" but chemically altered by adding enzyme. hahahah. Here is funny fact about Kopi Luwak. 90 percent of these beans are sold in Japan. Not in US. And the rest of most of 10 percent are being consumed or sold in Asia.
Another funny fact about "Shit Beans" I think I have talk about this before but there was a person in Oregon who sold beans he "processed" himself and sold on ebay. He no longer sells it. You can search on google and find out about it. Also in Thailand, Elephant dong coffee are being sold. They are also going to cost about 150-200 dollars a pound and they are flying out of the shelves too. So i guess we all love "Shit Coffee" one way or another. hahahaha

Cheers everyone.

ruma

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
My mind blowing experience of coffee came from Bali. I haven't had coffee exploratory trip in about a year. I normally do few times but I have been busy opening few more coffee shops and just haven't had chance. Bali and Indonesia is very close by but they do have some distinctive differences in flavor. If you would like, I can send you the link to the coffee I have tried.

When I had Kopi Luwak, it was from Indonesian government program. They wanted to promote their product and that was the part of experience I had privileged of having to try last year. Before that, I was in Japan when I had my cup about 4 years ago. The flavor is very complex and very aromatic. Nothing was very over kill or over powering but very gentle and persuasive. It almost like complex blend but came from just one bean. That was my experience of Kopi Luwak. I would have given around 90-91. Not over 92 if I had to give points.

It is not just close... Bali is in Indonesia ;)

Latest posts