Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Coffee Price

This is a discussion on Coffee Price within the Coffee Table forums, part of the Coffee Addicts category; Originally Posted by btreath9082 I know generally, the standard of coffee which is available at bus stops/train stations and even at the air-ports is not ...

Quote Originally Posted by btreath9082 View Post
    I know generally, the standard of coffee which is available at bus stops/train stations and even at the air-ports is not good. But still, if that is available for $0.05 (small cup), that is pretty nice to serve that "waking up" purpose.
    Good quality coffee for $1 is still pretty fine, according to my own opinion.
    Yeah, larger food chains generally don't produce good quality coffee but in my vicinity (where I live), there are a few local cafes which really have really good coffee. However, these cafes are mainly for youngsters, not in the strict sense, but they have all the components to attract youngsters.
    You mean teens? Has it become the norm there for teens to drink coffee in chains? I thought most places the general "crowd" was still mid to late 20's and above. Of course I may have a different thought as to what youngsters are than you do

Although it is true that the larger coffee chains are attempting to attract a younger/more "hip" crowd. Not sure why... Normally the bigger spenders are older adults. At least for coffee.

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by MyMugsHalfFull View Post
    You mean teens? Has it become the norm there for teens to drink coffee in chains? I thought most places the general "crowd" was still mid to late 20's and above. Of course I may have a different thought as to what youngsters are than you do

Although it is true that the larger coffee chains are attempting to attract a younger/more "hip" crowd. Not sure why... Normally the bigger spenders are older adults. At least for coffee.
    Yes, >90% individuals I see there are teens. Yes, it has become a kind of norm for teens. Youngsters for me are 15 to 24...lol...I know its my own definition and a wrong one with respect to international standards.
    You are absolutely right when you say that youngsters are being targeted by larger coffee chains. This is so true, while I am also of the same thought as yours, that is, older adults are much more inclined to coffee drinking as compared to the younger ones. If these larger chains target the age group of 30-45, they can earn more profits as they are earning presently. OMG, so genius of me, I am just wondering why didn't I go for MBA marketing or something.......lol.....
    SAY "I LOVE YOU" TO EVERYONE YOU WANT TO, BEFORE ITS TOO LATE !

Yes, >90% individuals I see there are teens. Yes, it has become a kind of norm for teens. Youngsters for me are 15 to 24...lol...I know its my own definition and a wrong one with respect to international standards.
    You are absolutely right when you say that youngsters are being targeted by larger coffee chains. This is so true, while I am also of the same thought as yours, that is, older adults are much more inclined to coffee drinking as compared to the younger ones. If these larger chains target the age group of 30-45, they can earn more profits as they are earning presently. OMG, so genius of me, I am just wondering why didn't I go for MBA marketing or something.......lol.....
    One of the reasons could be they are trying to "hook" them younger, and have longer lasting clients.. I mean at 40 to 45 years old, most consumers normally stop going to coffee shops when they are let's say 60 right? (as an example)..

So... Say we take a client at the age of 40, until 60.. That's 20 years of patronage... Ok, so in that time let's say they have a morning cup of coffee at $2. They never fail, every single day they have their coffee... So... That would be 365 x 20 years so 7,300 cups of coffee. At $2 a pop, that's $14,600 per customer.

Now, let's say you attract teens and get them hooked on your coffee shop. They may not buy coffee every day, but let's say they go on weekends and maybe some evenings to use the internet, or to buy a cappuccino. so, let's say they get hooked, and they spend an average of maybe $5 per week at the shop from the age of say 19 to 30 (when they start drinking coffee religiously).

So... That's 52 x $5 that's $260 a year for 10 years so $2,600 extra per client. Now.. They started an average of 10 years earlier drinking coffee, so that is an extra $7,300 per client. so by attracting these youngsters into their shops, if they manage to keep them, they will be earning say $9,900 extra per client, than if they just started when they were 40. KA-CHING $$

multiply that out by say 100, 300 or even 1,000 clients (not unrealistic for larger chains...) and yep... quite an increase to profit...

Great analysis of the numbers. Also when you hook them younger they aren't in the older age group that would buy supermarket coffee all the time instead of the better quality specialty coffee. Fair trade, organic and tree hugger types aren't usually in the 40+ age.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianBrian View Post
    Great analysis of the numbers. Also when you hook them younger they aren't in the older age group that would buy supermarket coffee all the time instead of the better quality specialty coffee. Fair trade, organic and tree hugger types aren't usually in the 40+ age.
    Brian
    Didn't look at it from that angle... But you're right of course. hmmm.. Be an interesting study. But I am sure that the older the client, the more "standard" their coffee order.. At least that would be my hypothesis.

One of the reasons could be they are trying to "hook" them younger, and have longer lasting clients.. I mean at 40 to 45 years old, most consumers normally stop going to coffee shops when they are let's say 60 right? (as an example)..

So... Say we take a client at the age of 40, until 60.. That's 20 years of patronage... Ok, so in that time let's say they have a morning cup of coffee at $2. They never fail, every single day they have their coffee... So... That would be 365 x 20 years so 7,300 cups of coffee. At $2 a pop, that's $14,600 per customer.

Now, let's say you attract teens and get them hooked on your coffee shop. They may not buy coffee every day, but let's say they go on weekends and maybe some evenings to use the internet, or to buy a cappuccino. so, let's say they get hooked, and they spend an average of maybe $5 per week at the shop from the age of say 19 to 30 (when they start drinking coffee religiously).

So... That's 52 x $5 that's $260 a year for 10 years so $2,600 extra per client. Now.. They started an average of 10 years earlier drinking coffee, so that is an extra $7,300 per client. so by attracting these youngsters into their shops, if they manage to keep them, they will be earning say $9,900 extra per client, than if they just started when they were 40. KA-CHING $$

multiply that out by say 100, 300 or even 1,000 clients (not unrealistic for larger chains...) and yep... quite an increase to profit...

OMG, that is just incredible. I mean, reading your post, these figures seem to be extremely realistic even though these are just based on estimation. I won't be surprised if I find later on that you work as a psychologist with some larger coffee chain lol......
    I mean I have heard that all the larger food/beverage chains make use of psychologists in order to market their products and exactly that way, they do all the calculations and statistics.

OMG, that is just incredible. I mean, reading your post, these figures seem to be extremely realistic even though these are just based on estimation. I won't be surprised if I find later on that you work as a psychologist with some larger coffee chain lol......
    I mean I have heard that all the larger food/beverage chains make use of psychologists in order to market their products and exactly that way, they do all the calculations and statistics.
    Psychology has always been a hobby of mine. That and analysis. I loved to study human behavior as well, what makes us tick? Why do we do what we do? Cause and effect and all that Not my area of work, but... interesting all the same.

When you start delving into the human mind and seeing why we do the things we do... It gets quite interesting... Animal versus Reptilian side of the brain, etc etc...

Anyway... Time for that coffee....

Psychology has always been a hobby of mine. That and analysis. I loved to study human behavior as well, what makes us tick? Why do we do what we do? Cause and effect and all that Not my area of work, but... interesting all the same.

When you start delving into the human mind and seeing why we do the things we do... It gets quite interesting... Animal versus Reptilian side of the brain, etc etc...

Anyway... Time for that coffee....
    OMG, You are honestly the very first person in my life who has "psychology" as a hobby.
    Personal advice to you though, please don't get extremely deep into this, lol.....
    On a serious note, personally talking, whenever I get very deep into this human behavior thing, I always get depressed ultimately.

OMG, You are honestly the very first person in my life who has "psychology" as a hobby.
    Personal advice to you though, please don't get extremely deep into this, lol.....
    On a serious note, personally talking, whenever I get very deep into this human behavior thing, I always get depressed ultimately.
    One of my favorite quotes by Friedrich Nietzsche

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you."

There are some other pretty good ones as well:

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything."

this one seems to apply:

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."

However, it is a needed evil. There is good in the world, and I too become depressed sometimes when studying the human condition. However, it is a sadness that is actually useful. It helps to remind me of my own humanity, and to stop and think before I act, and to weigh in if I really want to travel down the road I am traveling on. If we stop and remind ourselves of how we DON'T want to be, then we are in no danger of becoming that.

Once we put on the blinders, and choose to ignore.. We are doomed to repeat the very behavior we don't wish to repeat.

Super Moderator
    Although this is all very interesting (it really is), unfortunately we've wandered off topic again. The title of this thread is Coffee Price.

Rose

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ads