Coffee Price

btreath9082

May 9, 2012
Visit site
One of the reasons could be they are trying to "hook" them younger, and have longer lasting clients.. I mean at 40 to 45 years old, most consumers normally stop going to coffee shops when they are let's say 60 right? (as an example)..

So... Say we take a client at the age of 40, until 60.. That's 20 years of patronage... Ok, so in that time let's say they have a morning cup of coffee at $2. They never fail, every single day they have their coffee... So... That would be 365 x 20 years so 7,300 cups of coffee. At $2 a pop, that's $14,600 per customer.

Now, let's say you attract teens and get them hooked on your coffee shop. They may not buy coffee every day, but let's say they go on weekends and maybe some evenings to use the internet, or to buy a cappuccino. so, let's say they get hooked, and they spend an average of maybe $5 per week at the shop from the age of say 19 to 30 (when they start drinking coffee religiously).

So... That's 52 x $5 that's $260 a year for 10 years so $2,600 extra per client. Now.. They started an average of 10 years earlier drinking coffee, so that is an extra $7,300 per client. so by attracting these youngsters into their shops, if they manage to keep them, they will be earning say $9,900 extra per client, than if they just started when they were 40. KA-CHING $$ ;)

multiply that out by say 100, 300 or even 1,000 clients (not unrealistic for larger chains...) and yep... quite an increase to profit...

OMG, that is just incredible. I mean, reading your post, these figures seem to be extremely realistic even though these are just based on estimation. I won't be surprised if I find later on that you work as a psychologist with some larger coffee chain lol......
I mean I have heard that all the larger food/beverage chains make use of psychologists in order to market their products and exactly that way, they do all the calculations and statistics. :-D

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site

OMG, that is just incredible. I mean, reading your post, these figures seem to be extremely realistic even though these are just based on estimation. I won't be surprised if I find later on that you work as a psychologist with some larger coffee chain lol......
I mean I have heard that all the larger food/beverage chains make use of psychologists in order to market their products and exactly that way, they do all the calculations and statistics. :-D

Psychology has always been a hobby of mine. That and analysis. I loved to study human behavior as well, what makes us tick? Why do we do what we do? Cause and effect and all that :) Not my area of work, but... interesting all the same.

When you start delving into the human mind and seeing why we do the things we do... It gets quite interesting... Animal versus Reptilian side of the brain, etc etc...

Anyway... Time for that coffee....

btreath9082

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Psychology has always been a hobby of mine. That and analysis. I loved to study human behavior as well, what makes us tick? Why do we do what we do? Cause and effect and all that :) Not my area of work, but... interesting all the same.

When you start delving into the human mind and seeing why we do the things we do... It gets quite interesting... Animal versus Reptilian side of the brain, etc etc...

Anyway... Time for that coffee....

OMG, You are honestly the very first person in my life who has "psychology" as a hobby.
Personal advice to you though, please don't get extremely deep into this, lol.....
On a serious note, personally talking, whenever I get very deep into this human behavior thing, I always get depressed ultimately.

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
OMG, You are honestly the very first person in my life who has "psychology" as a hobby.
Personal advice to you though, please don't get extremely deep into this, lol.....
On a serious note, personally talking, whenever I get very deep into this human behavior thing, I always get depressed ultimately.

One of my favorite quotes by Friedrich Nietzsche

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you."

There are some other pretty good ones as well:

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything."

this one seems to apply:

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."

However, it is a needed evil. There is good in the world, and I too become depressed sometimes when studying the human condition. However, it is a sadness that is actually useful. It helps to remind me of my own humanity, and to stop and think before I act, and to weigh in if I really want to travel down the road I am traveling on. If we stop and remind ourselves of how we DON'T want to be, then we are in no danger of becoming that.

Once we put on the blinders, and choose to ignore.. We are doomed to repeat the very behavior we don't wish to repeat.

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I apologize... But Yes! Coffee prices do sometimes drive me off the deep end!

I mean, come on... Sometimes it is warranted, as mentioned in other threads about ambiance etc... But for the most part it really isn't justified...

I remember going to one diner in good ol Canada, that served coffee at $3 a cup... MAN... Sludge city... and it was usually old to boot!

So drive me crazy? You bet... I wound up going to the local donut shop "Timmy's" for those in the know... and ordered a Triple Triple... Simply heaven, and I always bought my coffee there from then on... Despite the nasty rumors they put nicotine in their coffee! (which I am pretty sure wasn't true)

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Here in Europe, you can get a cup of coffee from a neighborhood cafe for a fraction of what you pay to coffee chain such as Starbukcs.

Never been to Europe, but I remember my mother commenting when she went a cup of coffee was about $4 and that was back in the 70's. What does a cup run there now?

btreath9082

May 9, 2012
Visit site
One of my favorite quotes by Friedrich Nietzsche

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you."

There are some other pretty good ones as well:

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything."

this one seems to apply:

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."

However, it is a needed evil. There is good in the world, and I too become depressed sometimes when studying the human condition. However, it is a sadness that is actually useful. It helps to remind me of my own humanity, and to stop and think before I act, and to weigh in if I really want to travel down the road I am traveling on. If we stop and remind ourselves of how we DON'T want to be, then we are in no danger of becoming that.

Once we put on the blinders, and choose to ignore.. We are doomed to repeat the very behavior we don't wish to repeat.

As "Rose" pointed out, we have certainly gone off topic
Why don't we shift this discussion to a different "thread" under "off topic"?
I really want to discuss this thing in detail with a person like you. :exclamation:

KofaCoffee

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I know that in my travels in Europe instant was the most common. Even hotel rooms had instant coffee in them. Here in Canada a large coffee at most 7/11,Mcdonalds and Tim Hortons are around $1.50 to $1.80 and most restaurants are in this price range. Most coffee shops are also in this range, with lattes and cap's in the $3.00 range.
Brian

I'm from Canada and I approve this message :)

Latest posts