Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    So if I buy in smaller quantities, should I still stay away from storing in the freezer?

Super Moderator
    Yes...store coffee in a cool dark place in an air tight container.
    "Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

I don't understand why people try to buy larger quantity and having problem storing them. If you buy 12 oz of less at a time, you will enjoy very fresh coffee for a week or two and you don't have to worry about where and how to store them. You can just put in the air tight metal container and leave it on the counter.
    If you order them online, you could have them send 2 bags a month regularly. I roast about once a week for my friends and family. I only take about 1/2 pound for myself and enjoy fresh coffee all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeJunky View Post
    I don't understand why people try to buy larger quantity and having problem storing them. If you buy 12 oz of less at a time, you will enjoy very fresh coffee for a week or two and you don't have to worry about where and how to store them. You can just put in the air tight metal container and leave it on the counter.
    If you order them online, you could have them send 2 bags a month regularly. I roast about once a week for my friends and family. I only take about 1/2 pound for myself and enjoy fresh coffee all the time.
    The problem arises when one lives in a country where 1. the coffee selection is limited and one has to import the coffee one loves; 2. Postal rates are "lumpy", not smooth (i.e., 1-3 lbs cost the same amount to ship) so it pays to get as much as one can for a given shipping price; 3. Duty is charged on the shipping cost; 4. There are substantial fixed handling costs (as in $30 per package, regardless of weight or value) by customs.

Why not just buy the beans and roast your own? You have to import the beans from outside the country.

This subject has went full circle a couple of times and the consensus seems to be "To each his own".

Frihed89,

I was not thinking of people outside of US. Please forgive me for my ignorance.

CJ

The most common mistake is storing coffee in refrigerator. Coffee cannot be stored for long term purpose. It will absorb moisture and also the flavors in that moisture. So whatever flavors are inside your refrigerator can end up in your coffee. So unless you want fish & broccoli flavored coffee, keep it out of the fridge!

Personally, I think that freezing anything reduces the flavor. I wouldn't recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by donaldrhughes View Post
    Personally, I think that freezing anything reduces the flavor. I wouldn't recommend it.
    Perhaps you missed the link to the Terrior Coffee website I posted earlier in this thread with George Howell's thoughts on that subject. George has been in the speciality coffee business since the early 1970's, and has no problems with freezing both green coffee and roasted coffee using certain methods.

I've frozen both green coffee and roasted coffee to see how or if it works. You can freeze green beans with no detrimental effects to the beans and flavor after roasting. In fact, Terrior Coffee freezes all of their green coffee as, in George Howell's opinion, this is less detrimental to the coffee than storing it in burlap bags in a warehouse.

You can also freeze roasted beans if you degas them, and then double bag them with a vacuum packaging machine. With this method, there is a very slight change in flavor after three months storage - but, the beans will still make a good cup of coffee.

Obviously, the best thing you can do with coffee is buy it freshly roasted, or roast your own coffee, and then consume it within two weeks of roasting and avoid any type of long term storage. However, IF you need or want to store coffee for long term use, freezing is probably the best method as you cannot store it in a sealed container at room temperature without it going stale.

But, to each his own.

Super Moderator
    I freeze roasted beans and I have had no problem.

When I buy the beans, they're already degassed. I just measure and package them into small freezer bags (with each bag holding enough for a single pot of coffee). I double bag them, and freeze them all in a Tupperware container. I remove one bag at a time and make my coffee. I've kept the coffee in the freezer for a few months, with no problem with the taste.

I don't always freeze my roasted coffee, but this method is handy when I buy a few pounds at a time. I keep one pound out to use, and then I freeze the rest. Plus, I always have backups in the freezer in case I'm running low and can't get out to buy more.

Rose

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links