Storing coffee in the Refrigerator/Freezer

CoffeeLovers

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Well, if you store coffee in refrigerator and freezer, it can lose its flavor. Why? This is because other store foods will take on the flavor of other foods being stored. You better clean your ref or freezer to eliminate unwanted odors. Although it is generally safe to store coffee in ref or freezer, but it is not ideal.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Yes, it's best to buy small quantities and use it right away.

Today, I had planned to stop at the roaster and get some coffee on my way home from work. Unfortunately, I "forgot" and instead, I got in my car, and drove home, and forgot to stop. I hate when that happens! Now I wish I had some coffee stashed away in the freezer!

Rose

afm171

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Your refrigerator can have smells and aromas within it. That being said, coffee can and will pick up those aromas and make that wonderful Costa Rican coffee taste different even like the smells within your refrigerator.

Ohhh, so that explains the garlic flavored coffee I had last week...

Frihed89

Dec 2, 2007
Copenhagen
Visit site
I haven't noticed a big problem. The bags the coffee comes in are self-evacuating, and I stretch several hefty rubber bands, length-wise, to compress them (making sure they are de-aired to start with) and then store them until I open the bag - 12Oz.

CavalierCoffee

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
The best thing you can do is store it in an air tight container and drink it. Storing it in the freezer doesn't do much except raise the possibility of exposing it to moisture and odd freezer smells.