Storing coffee in the Refrigerator/Freezer

sharjeel

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
i use ZIPLOC for this purpose,i think its batter to store coffee because if you don't have the same taste all the time from coffee it would change your taste,

Last edited by a moderator:

CoffeeMate

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
i use ZIPLOC for this purpose,i think its batter to store coffee because if you don't have the same taste all the time from coffee it would change your taste,

I've used ziploc or zipper bags with moderate success. You must make absolute sure the bag is zipped air-tight. It also keeps longer from freezer burn if you double bag it.

buckhorn_cortez

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
There is a lot of discussion of how to store roasted coffee beans within the specialty coffee roasting industry. Most roasters agree that coffee is best when used within two weeks of roasting and that it should be stored at room temperature. The best storage is in a bag with a valve (to degas the beans). But, after that storing in any container that will seal the beans from moisture and aromas found in the kitchen is a good way to store the beans - containers like Mason jars or any type of jar or container with a gasket can be used.

More than two week storage becomes a point of contention. You will find speciality roasters that say "Never freeze coffee," and roasters that will tell you it is fine to freeze coffee using certain methods. Condensation and moisture degrade coffee. Also, losing moisture, and oils degrades the flavor. The best way to freeze beans is using a vacuum sealer. If you want to use frozen beans, thaw the entire package for 24 hours and use the beans - do not freeze them again.

For storage of green coffee, George Howell of Terrior Coffee has done extensive research on this issue - and he advocates vacuum packaged frozen storage of green coffee beans rather than open storage in coffee bags. Many in the speciality coffee industry do not agree with this - but, George Howell has the background and experience to backup his judgements on the subject.

If you would like to read George's recommendations on storing roasted coffee - use this LINK.

Frihed89

Dec 2, 2007
Copenhagen
Visit site
I am many thousands of miles from the source of my roasted coffee beans, as funny as that may sound. But the roaster is in Utah and I am in Denmark. Shipping is expensive and import taxes are high and there are fixed charges, as well, so I buy 3 pounds every 2 months.

Naturally storage is a problem. I keep beans in the vacuum bags they came in with thick elastic bands to force the air out, even after i open the bag.

Now I have seen that there are manual vacuum sealing systems and bags where you can hand pump out the air and seal the bag.

Has anyone tried these? How well do they work?

buckhorn_cortez

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
My wife and I have used a vacuum sealer for about 5 years for a variety of food storage. We've tried it with coffee and it works quite well. She's roasted coffee and and let the beans degas in a valve bag for 3 days and then sealed the beans and put them in the freezer. We let them stay frozen for 3 months and then used the beans. In comparing cupping notes between the fresh beans and the frozen beans, there was a slight change in flavor, but overall, they faired quite well.

You cannot seal fresh roasted beans immediately as they emit carbon dioxide and need to degas. If you seal them immediately, they will literally inflate the bag from the carbon dioxide.

I would think freezing the coffee in the unopened, valved bags would be equally as effective. If the bags are high quality bags, they should work fine. You might want to try vacuum packing the valved bags as an extra barrier between the freezer and the coffee.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I don't understand why people try to buy larger quantity and having problem storing them. If you buy 12 oz of less at a time, you will enjoy very fresh coffee for a week or two and you don't have to worry about where and how to store them. You can just put in the air tight metal container and leave it on the counter.
If you order them online, you could have them send 2 bags a month regularly. I roast about once a week for my friends and family. I only take about 1/2 pound for myself and enjoy fresh coffee all the time.

Frihed89

Dec 2, 2007
Copenhagen
Visit site
I don't understand why people try to buy larger quantity and having problem storing them. If you buy 12 oz of less at a time, you will enjoy very fresh coffee for a week or two and you don't have to worry about where and how to store them. You can just put in the air tight metal container and leave it on the counter.
If you order them online, you could have them send 2 bags a month regularly. I roast about once a week for my friends and family. I only take about 1/2 pound for myself and enjoy fresh coffee all the time.

The problem arises when one lives in a country where 1. the coffee selection is limited and one has to import the coffee one loves; 2. Postal rates are "lumpy", not smooth (i.e., 1-3 lbs cost the same amount to ship) so it pays to get as much as one can for a given shipping price; 3. Duty is charged on the shipping cost; 4. There are substantial fixed handling costs (as in $30 per package, regardless of weight or value) by customs.

Why not just buy the beans and roast your own? You have to import the beans from outside the country.

MarcCooper

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
The most common mistake is storing coffee in refrigerator. Coffee cannot be stored for long term purpose. It will absorb moisture and also the flavors in that moisture. So whatever flavors are inside your refrigerator can end up in your coffee. So unless you want fish & broccoli flavored coffee, keep it out of the fridge!

buckhorn_cortez

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I think that freezing anything reduces the flavor. I wouldn't recommend it.
Perhaps you missed the link to the Terrior Coffee website I posted earlier in this thread with George Howell's thoughts on that subject. George has been in the speciality coffee business since the early 1970's, and has no problems with freezing both green coffee and roasted coffee using certain methods.

I've frozen both green coffee and roasted coffee to see how or if it works. You can freeze green beans with no detrimental effects to the beans and flavor after roasting. In fact, Terrior Coffee freezes all of their green coffee as, in George Howell's opinion, this is less detrimental to the coffee than storing it in burlap bags in a warehouse.

You can also freeze roasted beans if you degas them, and then double bag them with a vacuum packaging machine. With this method, there is a very slight change in flavor after three months storage - but, the beans will still make a good cup of coffee.

Obviously, the best thing you can do with coffee is buy it freshly roasted, or roast your own coffee, and then consume it within two weeks of roasting and avoid any type of long term storage. However, IF you need or want to store coffee for long term use, freezing is probably the best method as you cannot store it in a sealed container at room temperature without it going stale.

But, to each his own.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I freeze roasted beans and I have had no problem.

When I buy the beans, they're already degassed. I just measure and package them into small freezer bags (with each bag holding enough for a single pot of coffee). I double bag them, and freeze them all in a Tupperware container. I remove one bag at a time and make my coffee. I've kept the coffee in the freezer for a few months, with no problem with the taste.

I don't always freeze my roasted coffee, but this method is handy when I buy a few pounds at a time. I keep one pound out to use, and then I freeze the rest. Plus, I always have backups in the freezer in case I'm running low and can't get out to buy more.

Rose