Anyone using the Solo 4824 PID on their roaster? I could use some help!

Boss99er

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Update: I just confirmed the Maxitrol Modulator that I have installed on my roaster is for LP only.......and the previous owner was using it with natural gas. I would assume that's why he reported no flame control. Would you guys agree?

sae

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Are you sure the maxitrol modulating valve is for LP only? All the maxitrol valves I've seen before will work with both natural gas and propane, they usually have some buttons under the cover that you can use to set the minimum and maximum flame height.
Is this the one you have? If you read the owner's manual it will tell you how to set the flame height. It's not hard Exa Star Modulating Valves

If you changing gases you will at a minimum have to change orifices. You may also have to change pilot lights. Do you have a honeywell gas controller? If so you more than likely will have to change the springs inside to work with your new gas.

Boss99er

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Are you sure the maxitrol modulating valve is for LP only? All the maxitrol valves I've seen before will work with both natural gas and propane, they usually have some buttons under the cover that you can use to set the minimum and maximum flame height.
Is this the one you have? If you read the owner's manual it will tell you how to set the flame height. It's not hard Exa Star Modulating Valves

If you changing gases you will at a minimum have to change orifices. You may also have to change pilot lights. Do you have a honeywell gas controller? If so you more than likely will have to change the springs inside to work with your new gas.

Well, according to Paul Ribich (who used to work for Ambex) it is. I'm in the process of confirming with Maxitrol. The one I have is the Selectra series....which it seems is discontinued. According to the previous owner, this roaster is set up for natural gas. However, he was unable to control the gas/flame at all. I would prefer it stay set up for natural gas, but if the Maxitrol is for LP only, it makes me wonder what everything else is actually set up for.

I do have the Honeywell controller/igniter. Once I find out what everything else is set for, I'll take a look at that.

This is the downside of buying used equipment. Ha ha.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Except that the upside is that it seems that you're getting quite an education...and sharing here with us. A big thank you for sure is in order! THANK YOU!

Boss99er

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Except that the upside is that it seems that you're getting quite an education...and sharing here with us. A big thank you for sure is in order! THANK YOU!

Ha ha ha, that's for sure! I'll keep you guys in the loop the whole way. Just spoke with Amir from Ambex. Should have more info soon. Stay tuned!

Boss99er

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Quick update. I'm having trouble getting people to agree on whether my Maxitrol valve should work with NG or not. Maxitrol says it should, Amir from Ambex and Paul from Roaster Dynamics say no, it shouldnt. The previous owner ran this thing on natural gas for 2 years, yet complained that he lacked very much gas control.

sae

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
On the maxitrol valves you can adjust how much flame you get at minimum and how much at maximum. My guess is that this just needs to be adjusted so you get the full range.