Business Plan Questions

S.Turner

May 30, 2013
Calgary
Visit site
Hello,

This is my first post, but I have been searching around this site for several several days. Lots of great information, however I'm wondering if anyone is able to provide me with a place I can find information on the number of drinks and so forth purchased per cafe in Calgary Alberta. Or at least a some realistic numbers I can use for my business plan..

I'm looking at starting a coffee shop that roasts beans, along with providing fresh sandwiches. Calgary is heavily inundated with Starbucks, so need to provide something different in order to be a competition.

Thanks for any info

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
S. Turner,

Being a normal Homo Sapiens, you have legs... AND it's very likely you understand the concept of "work".

So, it's time for some legwork.

You actually need to visit various coffee shops in the specific area of Calgary (or thereabouts) you plan on locating, both Independent and Starbuckian variety, and purchase a drink or two, hang out, and count. Count people. Pay attention to what kinds of drinks they get, and whether they stay or go. Go on different days, go at different times of the day. Do this over about a month period.

Extrapolate numbers. You now have realistic numbers.

That would be what pretty much everyone does.

S.Turner

May 30, 2013
Calgary
Visit site
Yeah I was planning on that, just didn't know if there was any kind of place to compare numbers to confirm that I was receiving realistic data. Extrapolating a few weeks data over years has inherent errors, but is definitely better then guessing!! And the leg work isn't that hard, coffee in a coffee shop isn't hard to take.

Thanks.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello S. Turner,

I seriously doubt that there is a data base where independent coffee shop owners input information about how many drinks they sell.

You're going to have to get your own head counts. And then make an educated guess factoring in slow/busy seasons, etc.

When you find a potential location for your coffee shop, you'll have a better idea about how much traffic and foot traffic goes by (potential customers) Do you have a location yet?

Rose

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
S Turner,

Welcome aboard.
I don't know your business back ground or your experiences in Coffee house business.
There are many things to consider but the most important thing about opening a coffee shop is not to compromise on location.(this is assuming you know how to serve good coffee)
You will not find any financial numbers, their balance on bank account or name of their unborn child on the net but you can get much more information by talking to the managers, employees and their suppliers.

Good Luck