Developing the Taste

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
LOL I can relate, half-full. I lived up in the Mendocino hills last year for five months with only the sun to heat my shower water.

btreath9082

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm... One important part of the equation you haven't mentioned, is it hot or cold?

Well, you can't say it cold, but it's not hot either. lol......
I mean it is a bit colder than the lukewarm water but not genuinely cold enough. However, this is the type of water which I use for taking bath.
Taking bath with warm water even makes me more sleepy. lol.....

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Well, you can't say it cold, but it's not hot either. lol......
I mean it is a bit colder than the lukewarm water but not genuinely cold enough. However, this is the type of water which I use for taking bath.
Taking bath with warm water even makes me more sleepy. lol.....

That's why I asked lol. I can't even begin to picture taking a cold bath.... *shudder* cold showers were bad enough. Eve in hot climates I like to bathe and take showers in hot water lol.. I guess it's all what you are used to.

People often looked at me funny when I absolutely had to have a hotel room in Costa Rica that was air-conditioned AND had hot water for the showers. I also preferred a place that had a heated pool... But of course, that is just asking for too much....

CanadianBrian

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
One thing that still puzzles me is why people (especially women) would want to take a bath. I mean you are just washing yourself in dirty water. At least with a shower that dirty/soapy water gets washed away.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I've always wondered the same thing too.

The soapy water doesn't magically disappear when you step out of the tub and dry yourself off with the towel.

I taught my kids that if they wanted to take a bath, they had to rinse themselves off under the shower when they were finished. Whenever we went away, I made sure the hotel had a tub and shower combination like we have at home.
When they were young, they basically took a bath so they could play with the tub toys. As they became teenagers, the shower was what they favored. I have no patience sitting in a tub....the shower has always been fine for me....but I must have hot water!

Unfortunately, this thread has gotten off topic.

Rose

Last edited:

ppkgan

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I started drinking coffee to break from soda on a third shift job I had a long time ago. I needed to stay awake and looked to the bean to facilitate that. It was a long time ago before Starbucks gained notoriety and the Seattle scene brought coffee houses everywhere. I remember the first time I walked into a coffee house, the smell was fantastic and it did not take long before I started to love the drink. I am also a tea drinker and enjoy both. I probably have 5 to 6 cups of tea a day and 2 cups of coffee a day. I do drink more coffee but if I do I scale back my tea consumption. It was not hard for me to get the taste for coffee, I do think that a coffee house is a great place to go to get that bug, it could be Starbucks but the atmosphere at a non-chain coffee house is way better.

Look up coffee houses in your area with a quick Google search and find some that have events that sound interesting. It could be poetry night or music, then go in and check it out. Be sure to tell the Barista that you have a person who is trying to learn to enjoy coffee and they will help you along. Your Barista is your guide and can really help her get into the groove. One thing I should say is that you are more likley to get this at a coffee house that is not Starbucks.

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I started drinking coffee to break from soda on a third shift job I had a long time ago. I needed to stay awake and looked to the bean to facilitate that. It was a long time ago before Starbucks gained notoriety and the Seattle scene brought coffee houses everywhere. I remember the first time I walked into a coffee house, the smell was fantastic and it did not take long before I started to love the drink. I am also a tea drinker and enjoy both. I probably have 5 to 6 cups of tea a day and 2 cups of coffee a day. I do drink more coffee but if I do I scale back my tea consumption. It was not hard for me to get the taste for coffee, I do think that a coffee house is a great place to go to get that bug, it could be Starbucks but the atmosphere at a non-chain coffee house is way better.

Look up coffee houses in your area with a quick Google search and find some that have events that sound interesting. It could be poetry night or music, then go in and check it out. Be sure to tell the Barista that you have a person who is trying to learn to enjoy coffee and they will help you along. Your Barista is your guide and can really help her get into the groove. One thing I should say is that you are more likley to get this at a coffee house that is not Starbucks.

My first experience was much the same, I wasn't really into coffee, but hey, it was a way to shoot the breeze with people at where I was working, and I kind of felt like a dork when at morning break they were drinking coffee and I was there with my Pepsi Twist/Coca Cola/Sprite/Mountain Dew etc. So, I guess you could say peer pressure LOL

Imagine that. What a revelation!!! I might have actually started drinking coffee because of peer pressure? Kind of funny when you think about it.

Anyway after that, it was sort of a social thing (I think I touched on this in my previous post), and then even as the times changed and I didn't have coffee breaks with those people any more, the morning coffee still stuck with me... And so began my relationship with coffee..

btreath9082

May 9, 2012
Visit site
People often looked at me funny when I absolutely had to have a hotel room in Costa Rica that was air-conditioned AND had hot water for the showers. I also preferred a place that had a heated pool... But of course, that is just asking for too much....

In that case, you are just like me, lol.......
My family members and/or friends always make fun of me regarding this hot water and taking bath stuff.
I do not swim frequently but whenever I do, I make sure that it is a heated pool.
:star:

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
In that case, you are just like me, lol.......
My family members and/or friends always make fun of me regarding this hot water and taking bath stuff.
I do not swim frequently but whenever I do, I make sure that it is a heated pool.
:star:

It's always nice to have a heated pool, then you feel more relaxed when you get out. If you get out already sort of cool, even if it's hot out, it can take a while to get comfortable again.. That's my logic behind a heated pool anyway :)

I also like the pools where you don't even need to get out to eat :D

btreath9082

May 9, 2012
Visit site
It's always nice to have a heated pool, then you feel more relaxed when you get out. If you get out already sort of cool, even if it's hot out, it can take a while to get comfortable again.. That's my logic behind a heated pool anyway :)

I also like the pools where you don't even need to get out to eat :D

Yeah this is true.
My logic behind the heated pool is almost the same as yours. Lol, eating inside the pool is not a very smart choice, I believe. I though love playing water games inside the heated pool. I can virtually remain inside the pool for hours if I have different water games to play. However, I don't really feel extremely comfortable in the public swimming pools even if they are heated. I wish I had my own swimming pool inside my house where I could enjoy all the activities and fun all by myself (or maybe family and close friends).
At the moment though, I live in an apartment where obviously it is not possible to have swimming pool, lol......:star:

btreath9082

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Could you not set up a kiddy pool in your living room?

Well, partly yes and partly no.
Partly yes because I have some space in my living room to set up a kiddy pool. And partly no because I am much bigger to fit in any kiddy pool and also the kiddy pool does not give the sense and feel of the actual pool. The environment around the pool matters as well.

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Could you not set up a kiddy pool in your living room?

We set up a kiddie pool in our garage.. Ahh the benefits of not having a car :D Anyway, the kiddie pool isn't all that large or deep, but it does the job in at least partially keeping you cool on hot days. I would say it's about a foot or so deep, and about 20 feet in diameter, so probably a bit big for any living rooms.

I have seen kiddie pools that are about maybe a foot across but are two feet/three feet deep... How the heck does someone enjoy those? (Even a small child?)

We can set up a little grill too, and of course always have hot coffee available... I always stick ice in mine on those days though.. The looks I get... LOL...

btreath9082

May 9, 2012
Visit site
We set up a kiddie pool in our garage.. Ahh the benefits of not having a car :D Anyway, the kiddie pool isn't all that large or deep, but it does the job in at least partially keeping you cool on hot days. I would say it's about a foot or so deep, and about 20 feet in diameter, so probably a bit big for any living rooms.

I have seen kiddie pools that are about maybe a foot across but are two feet/three feet deep... How the heck does someone enjoy those? (Even a small child?)

We can set up a little grill too, and of course always have hot coffee available... I always stick ice in mine on those days though.. The looks I get... LOL...

Lol, OMG, I really loled at "ahh the benefits of not having a car"..........
But unfortunately, I don't even have a garage in my apartment, You are much better and well off than me, lol......
Yeah, to be placed in a living room, an average kiddie pool of 20 feet in diameter is pretty much big.
And I don't see any use of that 1 foot diameter kiddie pool. I believe, there is no option for a person like me, living in an apartment.
:-(

TedM

Start your sister with freshly roasted beans and she might very well become a fan of drinking coffee black. Introduce her to black coffee from Starbucks and she will probably decide she only likes coffee with cream and sweetener or that she just doesn't like the taste of coffee at all.

100% agree. Like, someone you want to introduce to Scotch - would you give them JW Red, or a fine 15 yr old single malt?

I remember the first time I had espresso at a roasters's shop...in Vienna, Austria. No sugar, no cream...but it was amazing.