Home Grinder Suggestion for Espresso, French Press, and Vacuum Pots

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
For espresso... grind quality/consistency is what your primary objective(s) should be. Pretty much any grinder will grind fine enough for espresso, but that is far from being the most important factor in the equation. You want consistency in particle size and not alot of variation (dust and chunks). Also of importance is stepless configuration. You can make due with a stepped adjustment, but stepless is desired for fine tuning.

Surfer

Jun 18, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
Visit site
For espresso... grind quality/consistency is what your primary objective(s) should be. Pretty much any grinder will grind fine enough for espresso, but that is far from being the most important factor in the equation. You want consistency in particle size and not alot of variation (dust and chunks). Also of importance is stepless configuration. You can make due with a stepped adjustment, but stepless is desired for fine tuning.
what are your thoughts on this Breville --->http://www.brevilleusa.com/coffee/th...t-grinder.html

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
The Smart Grinder seems like a good option and it does have quite the following on some forums. Some have had to tinker with shims to give finer grinding capability, but it seems like a good option for your price range. Breville has learned alot over the years and is now bringing out products that rival some bigger names.

Surfer

Jun 18, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
Visit site
The Smart Grinder seems like a good option and it does have quite the following on some forums. Some have had to tinker with shims to give finer grinding capability, but it seems like a good option for your price range. Breville has learned alot over the years and is now bringing out products that rival some bigger names.
Other than the Smart Grinder, can you think of any others I should look into as well in that range or even a little more in cost? thanks

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Would hand grinding interest you? A GOOD hand mill can equal electric grinders costing $500+ if you don't mind a bit of work involved. Not to mention hand mills can be adjusted on the fly with virtually no grounds retention.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Not as fine? Depends on the person using it, the build quality/tolerances of the mill, grind setting, etc. Some are better for espresso range than others no doubt. Before Orphan Espresso got heavily involved in making their own hand mill they did a great job of refurbing older hand mills, then rating/pricing them based on build quality, grind range, etc. Now they have alot of "non-refurbished" mills at good prices.

Fred44

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I use the Kyocera hand grinder for espresso, bought it from Orphan two years ago, still going strong. Excellent grinder. For drip and french press, I use the capresso infinity, it does the job well enough for those.

Hand grinding is fun, if you're only doing one espresso at a time. If you have to grind for family and guests, it becomes a chore, quickly. But 99% of the time, I'm just grinding for myself, takes about 2 minutes to grind 15 grams. I also like that the little container that it grinds into fits perfectly into the portafilter basket. Also, there is no waste, 15 grams in, 15 grams out.

DirtyDave

Rather than make a suggestion re: which grinder to purchase (I use a roller of my own design and manufacture), I will say the when I reduce the particles (what you call grind) for my siphon pot, I don't grind that coarse.
Maybe one step coarser that I would use for pour over.
Try it yourself.

MassWineGuy

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't have $200 for a Baratza grinder, so I bought a Bodum Bistro instead. Prett good, I think, so far. But I'm still tweaking the brew times. I only make French press coffee.