How did you learn to roast?

Spice

May 12, 2012
So. California
Visit site
I appreciate all of your input. It sounds like a journey of experimentation and documentation. I can pretend to be
the mad roaster as long as I take good notes. Ok with me. I do have the book "Home Coffee Roasting", I better
start reading. I am lucky that there is an experienced local roaster willing to help. And after I get started I am
sure that I will have questions. Thanks

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I have become interested in roasting as well. I have noticed that the Green Mountain Coffee company offers jobs where you learn to roast. I would like for this to be a career change for me, but I wish they had jobs where I lived.

I can see it being an amazing opportunity to have like an internship and be paid to learn how to roast, but I imagine it is sort of like being a bartender or a movie actor, very tough to break into the good jobs and actually make a decent career out of it.

farmroast

Jun 8, 2007
Amherst, MA.
Visit site
I have become interested in roasting as well. I have noticed that the Green Mountain Coffee company offers jobs where you learn to roast. I would like for this to be a career change for me, but I wish they had jobs where I lived.
They have some huge industrial roasters. Some not traditional drum roasters. I'm sure they also have high-tech control systems on them too.

If you have local roasters check them out, see if you can work something out. Best if they don't just roast all their beans dark as learning how to roast lighter roast is the most interesting.