How do you package bags?

trk_koa

Aug 2, 2013
Reno, NV
Visit site
Ok. I ordered a rattle ware scoop. It should be here next week. I am looking forward to testing it out.

I usually scoop into a bowl on the scale then pour into the bag using a stainless steel wide mouth canning funnel. I have been having some carpal tunnel issues so I'm hoping the rattleware scoop will need less wrist twisting.

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
Trk_koa,

The RattleWare scoop will change your life forever. 25 years from now you'll look back on buying it as one of the best decisions you ever made in your entire life.

Well, maybe I'm a bit over the top :coffee:, obviously a lot over the top, but you'll be very happy once it arrives. Sounds like it will cut your bagging work in half. Let us know how it works out for you.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I have a rattle ware scoop but never use it. I prefer bagging with the Rubbermaid one cup scoops w/ handle that came with our bean storage bins.

Three mostly full scoops are real close to a pound and two very full scoops hold right at 12 ounces of beans. Dark roasts need to be a bit fuller scoops.

I scoop and then weigh. The first few bags may be off by a few grams but I can get dialed in pretty well after that and the work goes quickly. The end product never weighs light but may be a couple of grams over.

trk_koa

Aug 2, 2013
Reno, NV
Visit site
Well, the scoop arrived and I have tried it. It seems overly large for me. I was hoping it would help with 2-ounce pouches but the pouch barely fits. Too much time to try to get it situated.

I will try it for another week. I have friend who thinks he wants to buy it from me if I don't want to keep it.

trk_koa

Aug 2, 2013
Reno, NV
Visit site
Decided to sell the rattleware scoop to my friend. I will stick with my small Rubbermaid container and a stainless steel canning funnel.

I still need to figure something out for 2-ounce ground pouches that minimizes spillage. I'm open to suggestions. I ordered a funnel scoop from a baby formula place on line. Looked like it could be just the thing, but it is way too small.

Nancy

LBBeans

Apr 17, 2012
BC, Canada
Visit site
What we do is use 3 gallon icecream pails. We pinch the top of the pail to form a spout and then directly fill the bag on the scale. It takes a bit of practice to fill the bag without knocking it over but once we got the hang of it, filling goes pretty quickly. Fill the bag fast until a few grams before the desired weight and then trickle in the last few grams without going over too much. A couple grams over on one bag isn't a bit deal but multiply that by 10000 bags and you've got a fair about of money. What I don't like about the rattleware scoop is that it adds an extra step.

Last edited:

flexopackind

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Some packaging industries offer the nice bag for the products but the question is here that how to pack. So there are many new and modern packaging machines offered by the packaging machinery industries for packing these products.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Great insight flex...any suggestions though? I used to have to pack 2 oz packs by hand...I used a demi cup weighed it and then poured into the bag..It was a right PITA! Luckily we have a proxpack now...just checked and seems their website is down. I hope they are still in business because I want to order another one.

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
Topher, I'm still hanging on and working late instead of buying my portion machine. Somehow other expenses keep popping up (don't they always). Anyway you recommended the ProxPack which we're looking at, but also looking at the Logical Machines (made in Vermont) weigh and fill machine. Would you (or anyone else out there) have any feedback on that machine ?

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Check out Taylor's TE-10, that is what I purchased. I was interested in the Logical at first but never heard back from them. I compared Tridyne, Logical and another brand ( can't remember name ) to the Taylor and Taylor was the best as far as accuracy and maintenance. I added the larger hopper.
Taylor.jpg