Is Ambex Still in Business?

PNG

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I've had the same expierence. Once he got my money, he stopped all communication and I haven't heard from him since. Until reading all of the posts here, I was hoping that I would be hearing from Ambex any day now and that this was just a delay and not a case of fraud. I would still prefer to hear from Ambex and work this out with them somehow rather than involve the legal system.

elguapo

May 1, 2011
Visit site
I've had the same expierence. Once he got my money, he stopped all communication and I haven't heard from him since. Until reading all of the posts here, I was hoping that I would be hearing from Ambex any day now and that this was just a delay and not a case of fraud. I would still prefer to hear from Ambex and work this out with them somehow rather than involve the legal system.

PNG, sorry to hear that, welcome to the not-so-exclusive people who have been screwed by Terry. How long ago did you place the order?

PNG

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
It has only been about two months which is why, until reading the other posts, I was trying to remain hopeful. I want to be patient but not foolish. It looks like its time to investigate all options.

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Don, is great. I have a AMBEX converted it from propane to natural and he statyed on the phone with me and walked me through it. Great guy. Terry is also a great guy. They are busy. down economy and low staff.

kifucoffeeroaster

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
JavaCult...

What size is your roaster? Do you happen to have your old kit for propane? I have a 2005 YM-15 (w/ maxatrol) and need it converted from natural gas to propane, but, as the story goes, I can't get hold of Ambex...or Don... If you still have your set up for propane and it is compatible, would you be willing to sell it?

Please email me at roaster (at) kifubeans (dot) com, if we can work something out.

Thanks!

ABC-Roaster

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Went through the same thing - finally got my roaster after Don took over but some things I paid for did not arrive. Now I can't get Don or anyone else on the phone. Just like old times. I don't get it - I'm not unreasonable - some communication would be nice. The stuff they owe me is no big deal - but they do owe it.

chitoru

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Hey, JavaCult...

Did you read my post?

Just because AMBEX INC. guided you through doing a simple conversion, does not mean that this guys are GREAT !.
The fact that they have taken more than $25,000.00 as deposite and never had the intention of ordering the machine, in fact, not only that, but had the audacity of calling after two months and ask for another $26,000.00, still no intentions of ordering, make those guys not GREAT but THIVES.

Terry Davis is a liar, a criminal, a thief and most of all a coward.
Obviously, they did not take your hard earned money, never the less, your life dreams and crushed them by a bogus company, to be calling this guys GREAT.
If they were under staff and the economy was too low for them, they should it been honest from the begining and never taken that money.
That was premeditated and with all the intentions of committing fraud.

kifucoffeeroaster

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Just got a call from Don Vining. As best as I can tell, here's the issue. There are essentially three separate entities that can be associated with the Ambex brand right now: (1) Ambex the manufacturer (still in business); (2) the Ambex of Terry Davis (distributor--out of business); (3) the Ambex of Don Vining (new distributor--getting business up and running). That said, the Ambex of Don Vining and the Ambex of Terry Davis are two entirely different entities. The commitments of Terry's Ambex do not carry over seamlessly to Don's Ambex. Don's relationship is with the manufacturer's Ambex, not Terry's (make sense?).

The Ambex of Terry Davis is out of business. His Ambex the one responsible for all the outstanding balances for orders. Don's roll in all of it is that he is becoming the new distributor of the Ambex brand. As for the people who placed orders to Terry's Ambex, Don said he is willing to fill all the outstanding orders, but he cannot give refunds, because he did not inherit the payments that Terry received.

Chitoru, if I were you, I would email Don ([email protected]), if you haven't already, and simply ask him if you can expect a machine or if you should just try to get your money back in court. Of course, you may be beyond the point of even wanting a machine, at this point. Understandable. I feel bad for you, man.

KCR

Last edited:

chitoru

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
kifucoffeeroaster----- Let me clarify something that should it been done from the beginning but, the pursue of true and justice got the best of me.
I was, originally considering to invest on a 60 kg. roasting machine, but not any roaster. I wanted some quality, as well as performance. Because I had been involved and fascinated with coffee for must of my life, I also been involved with very good people in the coffee industry.
One, is a very good friend of my, which happen to be the person that told me about the roasters that AMBEX INC. distribute. Now, this friend has about 30 years in the industry, and when I said industry, I mean cultivation, selection of the cherry, drying process, roasting, grinding and packaging. Well, I definitely like to consider advice from such an individual with that commitment to coffee. After a couple of months of cosideration for such an investment (YM-60 Kg.), I spoke with him, came to find out about his not so great experience with AMBEX INC. (Terry Davis). The fact of knowing someone in such unique and exclusive industry will do something like that, (taking his money without delivery, $50 K.), was appalling to me.
His case is very well documented and the entities that you mention are very aware of his case. I think that this entities should make an effort and take some initiative and demonstrate responsibility on this matter. They should attend this situation and make sure this person gets what, with a lot of work and sacrifice belongs to him or paid for it. It is two kinds of people, the ones that live honestly and the ones that live causing damage. Which one do you want to be, it's up to you.
This is for the sake of the community and the industry of the coffee culture. After all,if we allow people like (Terry Davis), to destroy the faith,of the coffee culture, we will lose our sense of reason. Ironically, the ones that said to know about coffee and teach others about coffee industry are the first ones to look out for their own benefit with out considering who they destroy in the process. And how much damage they cause to the coffee industry.
Do not allow any space to people like (Terry Davis) so they can not destroy the coffee industry.
By the way, I think I will invest in a DiedRich CR-70.

elguapo

May 1, 2011
Visit site
KCR, I actually flew to FL last week to meet Don, see my roaster and to see what was going on. Everything you posted checks-out and seems to be what is going on.

Don took over the distribution of Ambex roasters from Terry. It is very confusing because there are about 10 different Ambex corporations that are affiliated with making roasters. I got to see Don's operation and the actual company that makes the roasters, they both exist. It would be a lot easier to understand if they all had different names but I think KCR did a good job explaining it.

As for the legal side of who is owed money from Terry and a roaster from Don, you will have to speak with Don. I know I ordered from Terry in December and Don ended up filling my order last week (my roaster in somewhere between FL and me right now). From when I first spoke with Don after he took over distribution, it took about 7 weeks to fill the order. When I originally placed the order with Terry in December, he told me 8-10 weeks and I never heard from him again. I can't say that I'm happy that overall it took 6 months to get my roaster when I was promised 2 months, but in the end, Don did come through to fill the order and I am very happy about that!

I'll let you know when I get it, the freight company estimates Tuesday!

Just got a call from Don Vining. As best as I can tell, here's the issue. There are essentially three separate entities that can be associated with the Ambex brand right now: (1) Ambex the manufacturer (still in business); (2) the Ambex of Terry Davis (distributor--out of business); (3) the Ambex of Don Vining (new distributor--getting business up and running). That said, the Ambex of Don Vining and the Ambex of Terry Davis are two entirely different entities. The commitments of Terry's Ambex do not carry over seamlessly to Don's Ambex. Don's relationship is with the manufacturer's Ambex, not Terry's (make sense?).

The Ambex of Terry Davis is out of business. His Ambex the one responsible for all the outstanding balances for orders. Don's roll in all of it is that he is becoming the new distributor of the Ambex brand. As for the people who placed orders to Terry's Ambex, Don said he is willing to fill all the outstanding orders, but he cannot give refunds, because he did not inherit the payments that Terry received.

Chitoru, if I were you, I would email Don ([email protected]), if you haven't already, and simply ask him if you can expect a machine or if you should just try to get your money back in court. Of course, you may be beyond the point of even wanting a machine, at this point. Understandable. I feel bad for you, man.

KCR

cameronring

Jun 1, 2011
Mountain View, Ca
Visit site
I placed an order for an Ambex YM-15 back in December and have been trying for months to figure out what happened to my order. I was really encouraged when I heard that someone was picking up the pieces that Terry left behind but I've been trying to get ahold of Don for a month and haven't heard a peep from him. I've emailed him, left a bunch of phone messages on several different numbers, even posted on the Roaster Authority Facebook page but he's never called me back. Do I need to fly out there to get his attention?

Thanks,
cam