Is Coffee Safe For Children?

Coffee hangouts have become fashion for today's teenagers after college, it is concerning, does coffee have subtle side effects in the long run, calcium deficiency or something like that??

Does it stimulate their exam performance ? ANY IDEA? :?HELP I HAVE TWO TEENAGERS
I'm in my late 40's I have been drinking coffee all my life, never had a tooth ache,or broken bone, I always give coffee to my daughters, now 23 and 17. My nieces from 1-15 year, they all drink black coffee. we can go to sleep after we had a cup of black coffee, of course we minimize the amount in the little ones, I rather give them black coffee than soda. I saw one episode of Dr. Oz, where he said that coffee, and eggs should be one of the breakfast foods to consume, to stimulate the brain!

retes231

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
My first coffee was when I was 8. And I was addicted right away. I've experienced alot of side effects as well as withdrawal symptoms when I can't drink one.

CoffeeLovers101

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I think it's the caffeine we need to worry about with regards to kids drinking coffee. Whilst there is generally more caffeine in coffee than in soft drinks (a starbucks grande latte has around 4 times the caffeine than a can of coke for example), kids do drink a heck of a lot of soft drink in a day. In my opinion it's probably better to have a high-caffiene coffee than a high-sugar soft drink when we take the overall health issues surrounding both.

andyrodgers

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Excessive use of coffee may be harmful but taking on or two cups after a day with breaks my not effect anything. i am used to take coffee when feel badly tired, it just give a fresh mode to work more.

businessdegree

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
i think as a teenager its fine that you give them coffee it helps them stay up, and finish the work they shouldn't take too much of it it isnt really that safe

Last edited by a moderator:

coffiend

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
to answer the question in the title, no children shouldn't drink coffee, plus, who wants to deal with kids all whacked out on caffeine??? but to answer the question in the post, college age kids (not children) are fine to drink coffee, isn't that the only way to get through college??

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
From what I've observed, the parents buy the coffee for the kids, and by the time they add lots of milk and sugar, the coffee cools down real fast.

I'm guessing that all that added sugar is probably more harmful to the kids than the coffee would ever be.

Rose

i was told by my mother that coffee was bad for little kid(me back then)....Teenage time started drinking coffee...and now that i became a parent; I think my mom just wanted me to sleep more instead of highly buzz on caffeine so that I won't be up all night bugging her.
so if u got kids>>>>tell them coffee is bad for U!!! little kids! go sleep go go go

rebclick

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
A couple of reasons to limit caffine consumption in your little ones. First: caffeine is a diuretic that causes the body to eliminate water (through urinating), which may contribute to dehydration. Caffeinated beverages contain empty calories (calories that don't provide any nutrients), for young developing bodies, maintaining nutrition is essential to proper growth. Caffeine is a stimulant, most children wouldn't like the taste of black coffee, so sugar and milk are likely to be added, sugar is also a stimulant. With all the ADD / ADHD rampant in our society, it isn't hard to imagine the increased consumption of these kinds of stimulants (especially through soda beverages) don't contribute in someway. If you're going to promote caffeine consumption in your little ones, stick with something like chocolate or cocoa, which at least has known health benefits.

brianwekes

Sep 7, 2012
Las Vegas
Visit site
According to me, coffee is not really good for children. It can effects on teeth and make them very wick. Coffee is not an ideal drink for small children. Sometime it can be really harmful for children's teeth.