Is Keurig "all that" when compared to grinding your own coffee beans???

CoffeeTech7

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
I bought 72 iFillcups to pre-fill my local fresh roasted coffee for $20 on Amazon.

I bought 72 iFillcups to pre-fill my local fresh roasted coffee for $20 on Amazon.

Hi,

I blog for a coffee bean web site. So, I've done a fair amount of research about various coffee beans grown all over the world.

But, lately I've been noticing that in my local grocery stores, that even though I don't typically look for coffee beans at a grocery store, it seems that the coffee aisle is 3/4 Keurig, or Keurig-like products, and 1/4 (or less) actual coffee beans.

I know that by the time a coffee bean product gets to the grocery store that it has probably lost some freshness. But, it sure seems like Keurig has taken over if you just go by what is for sale in the grocery store.

I've had a few Keurig-like cups while at work. And, they've been pretty decent.

I can imagine that most of the "coffee bean" purist that frequent this site are going to prefer their own choice of coffee bean over something from Keurig (or other "like" products).

How many of you coffee bean purist find Keurig to be anywhere close in terms of quality when compared to fresh ground coffee beans?

Do you find the same thing I find when wandering your local grocery store aisle. If so, any thoughts on why coffee beans are so "ignored" on the grocery store shelves.

Regards,
sjmyst

Trish

Apr 21, 2018
Visit site
I totally agree with friedcoffee. I have never enjoyed a cup of coffee brewed in a Keurig. I've had it when out and nothing else available. I don't think serious coffee lovers use a keurig. Convenience over taste.

mopleez

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I love my Keurig, but 99%of the time, I use my own coffee choice in my "solofill." Using 8 oz of water doesn't cause over-extraction. I use a generic K-cup if I need a quick cup running out the door.

Sent using Hello Moto

friedcoffee

Jan 12, 2016
India
Visit site
Thanks

I totally agree with friedcoffee. I have never enjoyed a cup of coffee brewed in a Keurig. I've had it when out and nothing else available. I don't think serious coffee lovers use a keurig. Convenience over taste.
Thanks Trish for agreeing,
It's simple, you don't have time, use Keurig or Nespresso, but if you have time and really want to have a great tasting coffee, DO SOME HARDWORK...;-)

Mr.GreenBean

Mar 5, 2018
CT
Visit site
I think Keurigs have their place. And to ask if they are good or not is too much of a blanket question because of the factors involved in brewing a satisfying cup of coffee. I am in the process of launching a roasting business in the northeast and have people tell me that they either like or hate Dunkin Donuts coffee. The truth is, they are consistent with their product despite using low quality beans. But like MacDonald's, they have a $5000 water filtration system in all their locations delivering consistent results.

One could buy very expensive beans from a small coffee roaster, have an old moldy lukewarm coffee maker, and use water from the tap to make a delicious coffee bean into a bad cup of joe. I have a coffee grinder next to a Moccamaster and it takes me probably no more than 2 additional minutes to make a great cup of coffee in the morning than it would to make with a Keurig. But if you had a dinner party with some who want decaf and others who want a flavor... it makes sense to use this machine.

Like buying a car. Some people look at the cost of getting from point A to point B. Others seek a pleasurable driving experience and are willing to spend more. It all depends on the individual. I like to get from point A to point B in my car with the pleasurable driving experience in my travel mug.

211bma

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
I have never had a palatable cup from K-cup. But I do understand their appeal, 1) put pod in, 2) place cup under spout 3) push button 4) consume. It is for people that don't want to spend any time or thought on making a cup of coffee. I mean even my wife wouldn't do what I do for good coffee and whenever she drinks someone else's coffee she will tell me that how bad it was.

The real problem I see with this method is that someone that doesn't want to put any thought into making their coffee will certainly not put any thought into maintaining their coffee maker so that I would bet that at least 99% of K-cup coffee makers are filthy and hence unable to make even the substandard coffee they are supposed to make.

I also don't like the waste millions (or more) of those little plastic cups in landfills in the name of convenience. Just another problem that our grandchildren will need to deal with (this and Starbucks cups).

Now I will freely admit to being coffee Snobzilla (I have a theory that 85-95% of Americans have probably never even been in the same room with a decent cup of coffee). I have been roasting my own coffee with increasingly more and more complicated machinery for over twenty years (keeping meticulous notes), and my maker has also has improved, (and I don't even work in the coffee industry) so color my remarks with that information.

Latest posts