reusable k- cups

moultons

Mar 28, 2012
Virginia
Visit site
Have you tried making your own caps? Wash out the k-cup just as you would for a my-kap and let it dry. Fill it and cover it with heavy-duty aluminum foil and make sure you crimp the edges with your finger. I had some issues with the foil splitting at the top and causing leaks (as is also described in the my-kap FAQs), and this can be fixed by using self-adhesive paper dots at least 1 inch in diameter. I haven't yet exceeded the life of a reused k-cup!

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I don't have any experience using K-cups, but I know people who use both the store bought K-cups and also make their own using the K-cup filter. You may want to open a K-cup to see how fine the coffee is ground and then try to set your grinder to make the same size granuals. That way you'd have a better chance of making your own K-cups and getting the results you want.

Rose

theperfectcoffeecup

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I guess I can't really speak for the Keurig and the K-Cup other than having a cup at a friends house, but I do have a GE Coffeemaker and the mesh filter is the only way to go. I didn't even know about mesh filters until I found this thing.

crwate

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I'd say Ekobrew has the best option for a reusable k-cup concept. If you are willing to pay for the price, then it's worth the money. I like k-cups and have enjoyed it alot as it rids off the hassle to prepare a cup of coffee manually.

3CatsNoMice

Apr 21, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Visit site
Over time, I have accumulated 5 My K Cups and 5 EkoBrews. I pre-fill and keep them in a FoodSaver vacuum sealed canister and use as needed - pulling a new vacuum each time one or more are used. This way, the coffee remains very fresh. I generally use "Chock ful o' Nuts" New York Roast coffee. Everything equal, I find there is slightly more "fines residue" using the EkoBrew. As a definite NON expert, I find both work equally well and produce a VERY acceptable cup of brew.

3CatsNoMice

Apr 21, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Visit site
I love using the Keurig "My KCup" (I've tried one of the other ones - I think it was brown) But I ordered the larger basket-filter by Medelco that fits into the "My KCup" - a great combination - holds more grounds, rinses easier. I'll try to add a pix later.

-Phil

Thanks for the tip. I never heard of the Medelco baskets until your post. Now have 4 of them. The regular My K-cup basket holds about 10 or 11 grams of grounds, but the Medelco holds 15 or 16 grams. Perfect fit in the MKC holder - a real winner.

jollygoodboy

Mar 2, 2013
USA
Visit site
If you reused your k-cup, you think you'd keep the filter inside of it? I asked because I seen this article that explains how the k-cup is made and one of the pictures shows the filter inside of it. but with the my k-cup (I have one btw) the mesh siding is how the water seeps out of the coffee grounds I'm guessing. And also it is true that the finer the coffee ground is, the more taste you get in your coffee. that same article brought that out too that i was reading.

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
We have used the Ekorbrew units and found them very good. There is something a little more satisfy about "packing" your own - so to speak. When we do use the traditional k-cups we do break them open after use and put it in the garden compost. Once broken down with the other garden waste the plants love it!

The other unit we thought of trying at some point to see what it is like is the solofill.