roast, data, meanings

lizzy

Mar 6, 2006
Visit site
a short update. I've been roasting away, and noticing much improvement in taste. I noticed a lack of body in some Mexican coffee I'd roasted. did another batch and tried to slow the roast down a bit. I think the coffee tasted much better, and really that was such a thrill, to taste a difference and attribute it to something I did! I've read so much the last week that my head is spinning.

my latest thing is using that spreadsheet and plotting the profile on the graph. All the roasts I did look pretty much the same "shape". can anyone recommend a source of some examples of what profiles plotted out should look like? mine are a gradual hill climb upward. nothing dramatic. the temps of first crack and roast over vary some, and the coffee tastes good. But I have new tools and am dying to learn how to use them better.

After stressing over the time and temp data stuff, I've decided that the data is just so you can reproduce the roast that you like best. With that in mind, I have just been roasting and drinking coffee. "umm, a little too dark, ooh, bet that would be good a touch darker". When I really like the roast, since I have written down the temp and time I used to get it, so I can do it again. It is faster and hotter and cleaner than my first roaster. I think there was a lot of smoke "flavoring" the roast in the electric one.

lizzy said:
After stressing over the time and temp data stuff, I've decided that the data is just so you can reproduce the roast that you like best. With that in mind, I have just been roasting and drinking coffee. "umm, a little too dark, ooh, bet that would be good a touch darker". When I really like the roast, since I have written down the temp and time I used to get it, so I can do it again. It is faster and hotter and cleaner than my first roaster. I think there was a lot of smoke "flavoring" the roast in the electric one.

Don't know if you read this yet. But I find it very useful.

http://www.terroircoffee.com/content/view/146/27/

that is useful, thank you! I've got a few books, and have been looking at coffee beans a long time, while we were paying another roaster to supply our shop. It's easy to be a discerning critic when a big chunk of your profit is going to the the coffee roaster.

Also, I've clipped some articles from Roast magazine. I've been gradually expanding the origins of coffee I order, and feel comfortable with some of the "easier" beans.

I still have a few questions about the relationship between temp and time, and suspect the gas jets need some adjustment.

thanks again for the link!

Back