Roastery pics

Bradleysteenkamp

Dec 19, 2012
Horsham, UK
Visit site
coffee (1 of 1)-4.jpgcoffee (1 of 1)-3.jpg

Hi guys,

Thought I'd join your thread! This is our roastery setup. Need to take a few more pics thought. We've got a 1kg Toper and a 15kg Ozturk. We've only had the big machine for about a month but I love roasting on it. I've installed a thermocouple as low as I could get it into the bean mass, it's connected to Roastlogger on my mac. Using this and the flame height control I've managed to get decent roasts down to as little as 1.5kg!

We had terrible blockages in the ventilation of the 1kg at one point. I've found the top vent pipe is very prone to clogging with charred chaff as is the fan area. Haven't yet taken the fan off the back of the 15kg.

Bradley

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Nice...very clean! I see you use a roasters favorite tool...metal tape! Is the red canister behind your 15 kilo your gas supply? If so have you had any issues with the fire department? I got reamed by a fire marshal for having a canister inside once. Made me lock it up outside. I would kill for a 1 Kilo.

Bradleysteenkamp

Dec 19, 2012
Horsham, UK
Visit site
Haha, yeah there is metal tape everywhere! So far I've had no issue using a propane tank inside as long as we store it outside. Over here in the UK quite a lot of people use them inside, I know of a London roaster that that does with customers visiting regularly. I'd quite like to have them outside though rather than having to bring the tank inside when we roast.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Beautiful roasters Eldub and Bradley. Love seeing those pictures. Can you put up some pictures of your facility as well? I would love to see how the roasters are positioned and also peak at your decorations.

Thanks

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
beauty... thank you. They look amazing. I dont know how far you are from Chicago but you would have done really well at Coffee Con. One of the Micro roaster from Grand Rapids michigan did really well. Sold all his beans. And he was charging 40 dollars per 1.5 pound can. Which was great idea for not selling 20 dollars per pound.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the kind words, CJ.

The $40/can beans must have been special lots, maybe? Our highest priced offering is currently a Costa Rican estate bean that sells for $16/lb. One of our suppliers occasionally brings in very small quantities of high-scoring micro lots which we would maybe sell for as much as $24/lb if any organic offerings made the program.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, guys.

We wanted to give the place a latin american feel, so we went with bright colors. (I think I got more paint on myself than the walls and ceiling the weekend I sprayed the place.)

I borrowed the top speakers from a brother from another mother and used them until I finally brought in the Omega single driver speakers on the lower shelf. They are powered by a Dynaco 17.5 watt tube amp.

smksignals

May 10, 2013
So Cal
Visit site
Hi everyone. 1st time poster. Been lurking awhile...

eldub, I LOVE that space and set-up. If I were to ever open a small shop I literally would design it just like yours. Clean and simple. The customer can see and smell the coffee roasting.

There is a small strip mall in my home town where something like this would be perfect. There is a space available with a bagel shop next door and a donut shop at the end. Best part is there's a Charbucks across the street with horrendous parking. Thousands and thousands of people drive through this intersection each morning to get on the freeway. Man I would love to sell and promote fresh roasted coffee across the street from a Charbucks and drive them out.

Again love your shop. Congrats on a nice place !

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
Greetings Topher,
Don't know if you remember me. You helped me last year with a number of questions regarding my Ambex ym10.
Yeah, the coffee nut from CT. It is an awesome machine, with incredible results!
Just got my website up. To date 155 roasts. The only 2 bad were the first 2.
Then along came Topher to save the day! Thanks again. Couple of picks at setup,beans now in roaster room
in the right rear on pallets, also in the rest of my onetime garage. I am confined to 11ft. x 12.5ft but it is actually manageable.
I tore down and refurbished an old Grindmaster 495,(couldn't resist) has my logo on it. works fine, but it has become the room's
largest knick-knack. It does not measure up to the Ditting or the BunnG9, or the Grindmaster 895, it has too much competition.
But I would say it certainly looks the sweetest!
Guess you can guess the website and facebook page.
SL731389.JPGSL731386.JPGDSCN0071.jpgDSCN0078.jpg
Enjoying the forum! Why do we not have a Roastmaster General? :coffee:
Cheers! JJJAVA