Running a Mobile Food (Lunch Wagon) coffee cart

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Jersey Jamie

Thanks for the comments. I'm glad other people enjoy my ramblings and it isn't just a log to see where I lost my sanity haha.
Will post soon with a recap of the week and hopefully some new flare under the truck

S

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Thursday catered TV show again, and as usual had a blast. This time I paid a barista I used to work with to help me out. In the future I think I will continue to use friends / volunteers. Hiring help eats into rev too much and added skill level isn't really necessary for this type of gig.

Friday did monthly food truck event and did alright. Got there late due to -> truck not shifting due -> to low oh transmission fluid (yikes face). This is what I get for rushing and not checking fluids. Luckily everything worked out. Most popular item was the Frozen Hot Chocolate followed by lychee ice tea. Need to figure out how to move more customers through the line or increase average ticket price to make events more worthwhile. First hour was pretty slow then averaged $125 or so for next 4 hours. For those of you that do events what do you average per hour? Any secret add on items you would suggest? I didn't offer any food items just because they are very labor intensive and margin isn't quite ideal.

Some new toys

Ditting grinder, sorry pic isn't that great. It is the previous model and is about 12 years old, shop closed several years ago and it has been in storage. Haven't opened it up yet, but from what I tested grind is very consistent and grinders have a lot of life left. Picked up for $350 and am very happy with my purchase

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...97753742.64943.223363741020018&type=1&theater
Pour over on sale at Espressoparts.com couldn't pass up the deal

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...97753742.64943.223363741020018&type=1&theater

I take Yelp with a grain of salt... that being said I really enjoyed this review
The Curb - Honolulu, HI

This week both college campuses are closed. Also, the Wednesday location is off limits indefinitely. Last week 5-0 said we would be cited if we ever came back (short version) so I am expecting a light / challenging week.

Happy holidays all!

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
dec_ets.jpg

On the backend we had a fire sale from 8:30-9:00 and some of the sales aren't showing.
Just to give an idea of average transaction ($4.47 - $5.52) and SPH ($20 - $148)

Cobby

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Seems like you've got a neat setup. Hope the event went well. I wish we had that awesome weather, because its about 30 degrees outside where I'm at. I guess that's better for coffee sales though!

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
We consider a good event to be averaging $150-175 per hr. but that is with an average ticket price of $3.00-$3.50. I can say with all honesty in order to hit those numbers you are busting some serious a$$. That is with my daughter taking orders, accepting payment and making smoothies while I am running both groups of the machine back-to-back creating all sorts of drink concoctions, from mild to wild. It takes time, but we have gotten the drink building/flow in the van down to a science. My wife will help as needed as it takes all 3 of us to keep up with demand at some events. For the daily grind I can manage with one eye closed and both arms tied behind my back.

FWIW some of our drinks are ordered with quad shots and of course that takes a bit longer to do.

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Business has been picking up and trending upwards.

Just got contract to park on the main college campus. This will only last a month while they complete some renovations on current cafes, either way I'm super excited.

Generator problems are resolved (somewhat)

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Here is SPH and item break for most recent food truck event:

hourly_sales_chart-4.jpg

Sales by item and description is here
Last week I just signed a contract with the main University to serve coffee on campus. That will start in about 6 hours... wish me luck

Anyone go to any of the barista regionals?

Attachments

• Eat The Street.jpg
    Eat The Street.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 386

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
HI Coffee Vid

University is going very well. The increase in volume has drastically effected my buying habits and inventory levels.
Hours were 8-2 now they are being extended to 8-4. Doing 165 trans / day -+10
Running 2-3 employees on each shift

Need more grab and go items that WILL NOT MELT
open to suggestions thx

S

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Cold brew ice coffee

Someone messaged me about this and I think I accidentally deleted it

I use between 66-75 grams per liter on a paper filter setting.
Soak for at least 12 hours. Strain twice and serve.
It will last more then one day but I usually sell it all or dump it at end of day.

Please message me again if you have any more questions

S

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Business is continuing to pick up
Extended hours, M-F 8:00-4:00
Doing about 190-220 trans a day

I'm not sure if this is good or bad, most people I talk to are impressed when talking about numbers out of a truck (with 1 window)

Looking for additional grab and go items, that fulfill 2 of the following 3 requirements (healthy, value driven, super delicious/ unique)
Please respond or pm anything that is working for you

Thanks,

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Folks I've been MIA and extremely busy latelyQuestion: 1. do you find these posts valuable? 2. Should I start a new thread for opening a brick and mortar?Thanks