Running a Mobile Food (Lunch Wagon) coffee cart

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi "Mr. Shave"

Welcome back! Your posts have always been interesting.

You've bumped this one to the top, which is good.

You can always start another thread if you have another category of posts for brick and mortar.

We have plenty of room on the Forum.

Rose

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback

CCafe notice how most of my posts have edits? Think about how confusing they are before the edit....
need more coffee

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Please keep them coming_ My roaster and new life starting soon Terrified but your posts get me in the right frame of mind

Spend as much time reading, visiting, and networking with cafe owners. I've reread so many posts also search and google should be your friend :)

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
So I haven't posted a lesson learned post in a while

Here goes

Today's lesson is called: DO NOT DRIVE OFF while hose drain is still connected

Why?
Exhibit A:
20120605_065620.jpg

After the repair
20120605_203526.jpg

Keep on truckin

Bryangoestoschool

Jun 30, 2012
Inland Empire CA
Visit site
Hey Mr Shave,

Hope things are still going well. I have been going back and forth with starting a mobile coffee venture for a couple of years now and finally revisiting this idea again.

I am glad i found your posts, very useful information and it is much appreciated.

If you get a chance, how is everything going? interested to know.

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Bryan things are going pretty well. Recently just stripped the truck for new project http://www.coffeeforums.com/forum/c...brick-mortar-coffee-shop-cafe-kiosk.htmlTruck life in a lot of aspects is harder than b&m. I would run the numbers carefully, make sure you have a plan and location to setup shop (I think this is much better than driving around if you want to be a destination), buy / build right equipment and truck for your needs, and build catering into your business model .Best of luck

Bryangoestoschool

Jun 30, 2012
Inland Empire CA
Visit site
Good to hear Mr Shave. I wish you all the luck in your new project. I have a few questions and hope you dont mind if i post them in your thread... and thank you for the words of advice you have given me.

My goal is to go mobile and hopefully (if successful) save money for a brick and mortar. If you were to do this again, would you scratch the lunch truck and go straight to a brick and mortar?

I have been researching lunch trucks and am really excited to build one (once i get my business plan together), How did you figure the size and type of truck you needed? Did you do most of the work yourself?

I appreciate your time. You really re-ignited the flame for me and am filled with questions.

Last edited:

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
suppose it must be extremely hot in this truck ?
you have no idea! when 2 fridges, freezer, espresso machine, and brewer are going it gets hot! A breeze and a fan are your best friend

Good to hear Mr Shave. I wish you all the luck in your new project. I have a few questions and hope you dont mind if i post them in your thread... and thank you for the words of advice you have given me.
No problem, there have been many that helped me along the way and I'm happy to share what I learned

My goal is to go mobile and hopefully (if successful) save money for a brick and mortar. If you were to do this again, would you scratch the lunch truck and go straight to a brick and mortar?
If I were to do it over again, I would go straight to B&M. I did learn a lot of lessons with the truck but ended up spending a lot of money. Keep in mind everyone's circumstances are different, for a number of reasons I moved back in with family (no rent), had no debt (car, college, credit card), had healthy size savings and retirement for age, had a good paying job, have family in friends in Seattle and Portland so I was able to attend Coffee Fest and SCAA for almost nothing, had some cafe experience, and a fair amount of retail experience. With all that said, I thought I knew what I was doing and the money still went fast! If you have a lease and cam to pay it will go even faster. Started in September, didn't break $1k in sales FOR THE MONTH until January. Started flirting with $1k a day in March, got a much better location

I have been researching lunch trucks and am really excited to build one (once i get my business plan together), How did you figure the size and type of truck you needed? Did you do most of the work yourself?
Figure out your concept, size your equipment, and search for trucks. I scanned craigslist and ebay for months. Ended up bidding off ebay without ever driving or seeing in real life, I wouldn' advise this but I made it work.

feel free yo post any qs

businessdegree

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
you use to drive the truck, i miss understood from the title i thought it was one of those trucks you see in the mall, this is actually great, why is it done though ??