SC/TO Build Is Off To A Great Start!

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I've been looking at another TO roaster build, and seem to like the concept of high speed "bats", aka stirring arms, to fluidize the bean mass. This means needing a different motor, and a different build. So when I purchased the turbo oven, since it was brand new, it had these parts included:

20151120_180810.jpg

So I started to think on how to incorporate them into my design. My first thought was to put perforated steel between the two sections and have a roasting bowl sit on top of it with a gap between the glass lid of the TO for chaff to blow out and down and be collected on the perf steel...baffles in the lower pan would ensure chaff would not blow back up into the roaster. So I totally deconstructed my Stir Crazy, really only intending to keep the steel pan, but of course will put the switch away for use in some other well thought out project ;) LOL!

So I went Thrift shopping and found an orphaned lid to a pressure steamer...removed the knob...drilled the appropriate holes in order to attach the stir plate of the popper...like this:

20151120_180734.jpg 20151120_180644.jpg

There is a bit of a gap between the edge of the SC plate and the steamer lid due to the lid's curvature...I am open to suggestions on how to deal with this gap.

So the threaded studs on the bottom of the SC plate extend roughly 2.25" from the bottom of the steamer lid (formerly the top of the steamer lid...lol). When inserted into the TO pan set, the top of bowl created by the steamer lid sits right at the level of the lip holding the TO lid. There is also a slight gap between the sides of the TO pan set and the new roaster pan set. This gap will allow me to still provide for chaff collection. The 2.25" gap at the floor of the TO pan set will be available to install a burner plate pulled from an electric fry pan or wok in order to add additional conduction heat if desired for a wider range of roast profiles...as used on the roaster build I am imitating. Also allows for the addition of some internal insulation to shield the motor which will be installed below the TO pan set in some fashion. The motor will be an AC 25 Watt speed control gear motor capable of at least 350-400 rpm with a speed control device so it can be run at lower speeds. Here are the final pics of where I am at for now.

....I will have to add another post to include the remaining pictures...I think I've reached the legal limit! (Don't know how the thumbnails got attached to this post, nor how to delete them.)

Attachments

• 20151113_160140.jpg
    20151113_160140.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 179
  • 20151120_180816.jpg
    20151120_180816.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 185
Last edited:

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I have been looking for a motor for this new direction on my TO roaster. The motor suggested on another site is an Oriental Motors Speed Control VAC 115V, 25W & a gear head with a 5 to 1 ratio. Looking on Ebay, I see quite a few OM motors of different frame sizes, but not many with the 5-1 gear head. I'm thinking that the exact motor used in this build was what was available and cheap at the time the roaster was being built. So my question is simply that I want a rather robust motor that is controllable between 90-400rpm. Any insight or suggestions are, of course, the purpose of this post.

Cheers,

Doug

JerryB

Nov 10, 2012
Near Salt Lake City
Visit site
So my question is simply that I want a rather robust motor that is controllable between 90-400rpm. Any insight or suggestions are, of course, the purpose of this post.

Cheers,

Doug

Dan,
I've been following your thread here and finding some of my own SC & TO complainants to build me a roaster too. When I read this post about a motor, I immediately thought of two items, 1st was an old 1/2" Drill with variable Speed. Also, what about a BBQ Rotisserie Unit?

I work with Stepper Motors and Spindle Motors and know that you are limited to how much you can reduce the voltage and still have any torque output on a motor. Like you experienced on your setup (video). Try to find a motor unit that puts out the needed RPM so you don't burn out the windings of the motor.

Great Post! Keep Us posted.

Cheers!
Jerry

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Dan,
I've been following your thread here and finding some of my own SC & TO complainants to build me a roaster too. When I read this post about a motor, I immediately thought of two items, 1st was an old 1/2" Drill with variable Speed. Also, what about a BBQ Rotisserie Unit?

I work with Stepper Motors and Spindle Motors and know that you are limited to how much you can reduce the voltage and still have any torque output on a motor. Like you experienced on your setup (video). Try to find a motor unit that puts out the needed RPM so you don't burn out the windings of the motor.

Great Post! Keep Us posted.

Cheers!
Jerry

Jerry,

Thanks...and I'm glad you posted. I realize that an induction motor has this issue of torque loss at low speed, so I'm really now focusing on Torque motors. If you go to the Oriental Motors website, they have a video showing what happens when you pull on a cord attached to and wrapped around the spindle of each type of motor. I want to be able to adjust speed of stir motor and still be able to move a larger mass of beans at a low speed. Since you work with automation and motors, I think your help may be necessary at some point in getting the right transistor and potentiometer for whichever motor I can find. I'm not really sure how much torque would be needed for a 1 to 2 lb mass of beans, any ideas?

Cheers!

Doug

JerryB

Nov 10, 2012
Near Salt Lake City
Visit site
Doug,
What do you think of this unit or perhaps another one that may have speeds. If your not careful, you can spend a lot of money for bells and whistles just to learn on.

I think I want mine to have a horizontal Drum. I think it will tumble the beans much better. I saw this one on YouTube and it has some great ideas. I tried to see how fast the drum rotated. I counted 18 revs in 33 seconds = approx. 35 RPM. You may be wanting to spin your stirring arms a bit too fast.

Found another motor on Amazon

Cheers!,
Jerry

Last edited:

Latest posts