What do you say at starbucks?

tankin_tummy

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Starbucks isn't that bad, there's plenty worse. I generally don't order starbucks, but when I'm meeting someone for coffee between classess at university I do. There are only three choices.... Tim's, gross bitter cheap coffee from the caffeterias and Starbucks. Starbucks is superior to all of them because at least they do brew from whole beans, and not made from a air-sealed package shipped from a factory. Honestly I can't tell too much of a difference tastewise between starbucks and other coffees from a roaster. One thing I do dislike about starbucks is the fact that you get it in a paper cup, and the whole atmosphere isn't really to my liking. Generally I brew at home so I don't run into having to do this

ppkgan

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Not sure why people do not like SB, I know it is different than the gritty shops with revolution in the air but hey they are not that bad. Besides that try being in Asia for a couple of months with no where to buy good coffee and nothing but cheap drip machines... if you can find one! Starbucks saved my life with a French Press and their beans. Not my first choice usually but when it is the very best or only choice you have, I bet you guys would be belly up to the counter ordering a venti... I was! lol

CJevens

Apr 18, 2011
Arlington, Va
Visit site
I am not a fan of starbucks simply due to their greedy market take over. Having 3-4 starbucks with in a 5 minute walk is just a little like "Coffee Big Brother" 1984 style.
I dont dislike SB, just wish that smaller shops would be given a chance. So many people just blindly jump onto the SB bandwagon possibly having no real appreciation for coffee. Anything sweet and frothy is a swank environment would be all they need to fill like "one of the crowd".
I am not crazy about SB coffee as it has typically been 'over roasted' until recently as they start to offer some "blondes". Given the sheer volume of coffee they sell I question the quality of the product (dark roasted to cover a lack of quality) and the quality of life of the third world workers and families that work tirelessly for pennies so big companies can make millions.

As for having access to good coffee. I have personally worked on a few coffee farms that ship coffee roasted to order around the world. If fedex or UPS can get anywhere you are, you can have farm fresh coffee in hand. Starbucks is not the answer, but merely the most well known corporate logo.

Celebrate the dedication of small family farmers around the world and buy direct from the farm.

One last thing to be clear, I am not against starbucks as this big company has also made many people aware of coffee and to a degree expanded the culture. What I would like to see however, is more support of small family farms by those that appreciate coffee. Expanding that to sharing this info with many other people so we can see a resurgence of family farming and sustainable practice around the world.

Cheers !

calvynlee

Jan 20, 2014
Penang, Malaysia
Visit site
starbucks is consider an expensive coffee in my country, 1 cup of coffee can equal to 3 meals

while most people here afford to spend this money, they don't spend money for cheaper coffee in coffee shop, they willing to spend in starbucks

jaredgibson87

Sep 19, 2012
Decatur, Alabama
Visit site
Ding ding ding.
But sadly I dont know that they would know fresh "just roasted" coffee, so this might be a lost question.

I work at starbucks and know exactly where the closest roaster is. it's a coffee shop like 5 minutes down the road. They like darkly roasted coffee and super sweet espresso drinks just like SB does, so I tend to stay as far away from their coffee I do as I do SB's coffee (just dont tell the corporate guys I prefer to drink coffee I roast myself :D )

.How about a "12oz cup of black coffee" ? and it would be nice if it was roasted in the last 10-14 days, ground then brewed right away. It would also be nice to have a cup that was brewed less than 5 minutes ago.

I cant do anything about when it was roasted, unfortunately, but I do generally grind it right before brewing. I do grind enough to last the last couple of hours because I work at a SB in a Target, and they're uber anal about me cleaning the SB up as fast as possible and getting off the clock, as if me staying long enough to clean the grinder after we close is going to cause the corporation to go in to bankruptcy. We do pour overs and French press, and those are brewed when you order. But if you just order a regular cup of coffee, it could be up to 30 minutes old; I'm pretty good about keeping the coffee brewed regularly since I prefer just regular coffee over espresso shots or super sweet syrupy drinks and frappuchinos.

Latest posts