WTB: 3-5kg San Franciscan, Diedrich, Joper, Roure, or Probat

poison

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure it's true than a good roast master is far more important than a good roaster (machine), however...there are several roasters that the best coffee roasters in the world all use, namely Probat, Diedrich, and I'm sure Giesen will soon join the list, etc. And it's the seemingly small stuff that those roasters mention that make the difference: cast iron vs steel, air flow, type of burner, etc. The Paradise Roasters, Terroirs, Counter Cultures, Barefoot's, just aren't using Ambex, Ozturk, USRC, Toper, etc. That says something to me. Maybe the Ozturk is just highly underrated, dunno. I'm sure you do excellent coffee on it regardless!

Pretty much any of the pro roasters would be an upgrade for me, no doubt. But if I'm dropping coin on an upgrade, I want it to be the best upgrade I can afford, and don't want the machine to ever be the limiting factor for cup quality. I'd much rather have myself be the limiting factor; it's extremely frustrating to know I am more capable than the equipment I am on (been there with espresso machines AND roasters).

poison

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
No, not all do; some use IR, some don't. They all swear their chosen material/burner/what have you is best, but roasters using them tend to disagree, it seems.

poison

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Well, damn. A few months ago I applied for the mission: small business grant program throhugh chase and living social. They just announced winners. The grant was for $250k, what a game changer that would've been! Oh well, keep forging ahead!

Hankua

Nov 11, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Visit site
Have you considered a Taiwan roaster, since your in LA? Yang-Chia Machine Works LTD is the #1 roaster builder on the island and builds a killer 4K with a CAST IRON drum. Easy to import, the owner (Mr. Yang) ships them all over the world. Barismo has a special 4K direct fire model. I imported the baby version, and it's not that much trouble using an import broker.
http://www.feima.com.tw/index.php?route=product/product&path=61_63&product_id=61]咖啡烘焙機(å·¥æ¥*用) 803N

¡iLa Bella ¨©©Ô¶T©ö¦³**¤½¥q¡j¡DSilvia©@°Ø¾÷¡D©@°Ø¯MµH¾÷¡D©@°Øª±®a°Q½×¥æ¬y
Bella has the 4K for 252,000nt; I think you could get it to your door for less than 10K. You need to deal directly with Mr. Yang at the factory if interested.

Hankua

Nov 11, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Visit site
Absolutely, but being in LA parts can get there pretty fast; overnight in fact. Yang roaster's have more features for less money and the quality is top notch. Cast iron drum, adjustable drum speed, precision air valve on top with repeatable settings, manual gas adjustment with needle valve, control box at eye level on the 4k, easy to break down for cleaning, quiet.The cast iron drum responds to gas adjustments rapidly, with the adjustable drum speed and air valve you can profile many different ways, experiment with conduction vs convection.

dstrand

Apr 25, 2012
SF Bay Area
Visit site
I might as well weigh in here. For the past 11 years, we've been using a Primo Pri-35. Initially, I selected it because of the price - as there isn't really a "Consumer's Digest" for pro roasting equipment. However, the thing's been solid. I had a minor fire 2 years ago that fried 1 motor and the digital controller, but most of the parts are available through Grainger, and I was able to fix it myself (with serious phone support from Primo's owner).

In addition, it's really flexible. I'm able to roast as light as 5lbs, and up to 35lbs. I've pushed it a little beyond that, and it never complained.

There are components that are tough to get to - the blower motor assembly, for example is a knuckle-buster - but otherwise, I really have no complaints.

When we purchased it, we really needed something flexible. We sell by catalog, so one day someone will want 10 lbs of each of our coffees, and the next, I'll be roasting for 2 - 3 hours.

For what it's worth, The folks at Primo used to work for Deidrich. They're out in Santa Ana, so they're in your neck of the woods.

poison

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I spoke to Deon this morning, thank you. :) Sounds good, though they all do when talking to the company. But the unadjustable airflow on the two smaller models is a concern. It's at 60% all the time.

Oh, and it is decidedly NOT sexy (cross thread points?).

poison

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Have you considered a Taiwan roaster, since your in LA? Yang-Chia Machine Works LTD is the #1 roaster builder on the island and builds a killer 4K with a CAST IRON drum. Easy to import, the owner (Mr. Yang) ships them all over the world. Barismo has a special 4K direct fire model. I imported the baby version, and it's not that much trouble using an import broker.
http://www.feima.com.tw/index.php?route=product/product&path=61_63&product_id=61]咖啡烘焙機(å·¥æ¥*用) 803N

¡iLa Bella ¨©©Ô¶T©ö¦³**¤½¥q¡j¡DSilvia©@°Ø¾÷¡D©@°Ø¯MµH¾÷¡D©@°Øª±®a°Q½×¥æ¬y
Bella has the 4K for 252,000nt; I think you could get it to your door for less than 10K. You need to deal directly with Mr. Yang at the factory if interested.

Hmm, someone just recommended Taewhan Proaster. Intredasting, Taiwanese roasters, huh?

Hankua

Nov 11, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Visit site
There was a used Joper a few weeks back on CL, looked like it was from Redbird. My wife is Taiwanese and had a relative at the last coffee/tea expo, Yang roasters are considered #1 one the island. You just have to see one to believe the quality. Sure it's not a Probat or Joper, but for what you pay the quality is top notch. But look at the features, especially the precision air valve on top, works like a camera aperture. Adjustable drum speed is a very big deal, and I'm sure many roaster would love to have that option. When you drop your charge weight you have the ability to increase the drum speed, just by turning a knob. All those tubes and fan motor come off pretty easy for cleaning. What a about the cast iron drum? It's not that easy to manufacture a cast iron drum compared to bending carbon steel in a circle.

The only downside to a Taiwan roaster is it's made overseas and not American built. I know all the ropes for importation, the roasters are shipped fully assembled and operational; at least mine was. Would I run a 15K Yang roaster? maybe not because of potential downtime. But in the 4K range where having an edge is important, the Yang roaster has ALL the toys and more.

poison

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I missed that Joper by 2 days. It was Redbird, awesome guy with interesting feedback on many roasters. I just talked to USRC, so far they impressed me the most.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I commend you for having an open mind.

Btw, did Dan say how they fared at the Roaster's Guild retreat a couple of weeks back? (I picked up our roaster a few days before they left for the retreat.)

poison

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Well, it's pretty clear that 1) when people drop $15k, or $150k, on a roaster, they aren't going to want to admit the thing is a steaming pile of crap, and 2) I think a lot of it is the cache, wanting to say 'I roast on a Probat' (oh? Your coffee MUST be great, then!). I just spoke to a very respected micro-roaster, and he said having used both Diedrich and USRC, he thought they were pretty equivalent. That's the kind of hand-on, experienced feedback that's really helpful, and it's very reassuring, seeing as I've used a Diedrich pretty extensively.

Dan did say there were some 'interesting' events at the Roaster's Guild retreat: they were somehow left off the roster for the second day of roasting, and so were not used. Sounds like people are upset they keep winning every year, and shady deeds were done. :devil:

I just spoke to a guy who has a 6lb San Franciscan he's not using. It has sentimental value, but he said he'd think about selling it to me, and get back to me. This is me, on my knees, begging and pleading. (lol)

puss-in-boots-from-shrek.jpg

Last edited:

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Interesting, indeed. Someone makes a clerical error and guys who carted their equipment half way across the continent have to pay the price? I'm so darn tired of politics.

Good luck on the San Franciscan. Tell the guy he can come and visit his machine any time he likes. And that you'll post pics of it on facebook fi he wants. How could he resist those big eyes, anyway?

Latest posts