Advise Needed: Importing Organic Green Beans from Ethiopia

Bunn

Dec 29, 2014
USA
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I am a new member here and this is my first message on Coffee Forums. I am seeking advise from people with experience in coffee business for importing organic green beans coffee from Ethiopia into USA. I know there are certain procedures that I should follow through FDA and other local authorities for importing agricultural products, but this is not my concern for now. I need to know as an importer for green beans, do I have to be licensed for that? do I need to have my own warehouses for storing the beans in order to sell them to the coffee retailers or shall I deal in this business with the wholesalers only? Where shall I start? can someone guide me how to establish this business. The beans that I am talking about are organic Arabia coffee from southwest of Ethiopia, grade 2-3 for washed beans and 3-5 for dry beans.

I will go in a direct partnership with the farmer and work together for exporting coffee beans to USA. I have no experience in coffee industry, particularly in USA, but I am interested to develop this business opportunity if you think there a potential market for Ethiopian Arabica Coffee in the country. I am ready to cooperate and discuss this opportunity in some details.

Thanks,
Kader

Last edited by a moderator:

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
DON"T. If you are not in the coffee industry, you will get killed. The best way is to sell directly to another country. Not in the US. If you want to import to US, talk to the wholesale company like Cafe Imports, Royal Coffee, or even Sweet Maria. With that, your profit margin will be very minimal.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Since you have no experience in the coffee industry, why not seek employment with an established Ethiopian coffee producer/exporter to learn the ins and outs. Let them pay you while training you.

Bunn

Dec 29, 2014
USA
Visit site
Thank you for your response. Since I am in business development and through my contacts in Ethiopia I have been offered to market their Green Coffee Beans in USA. Actually, I am trying to sell coffee to other countries in Europe, but since I am in USA I thought it could be useful to start up with a small business as I am new in town. If succeed, I am ready to develop this business in more than importing green beans.

Thanks,
Kader

Bunn

Dec 29, 2014
USA
Visit site
Thank you Peter for your advise. Actually, I would like to learn about this industry but I don't know if I can be offered a paid training. I am ready to go in partnership with any well established wholesalers who are looking to expand their business in different geographies. I live in Milwaukee and I am willing to move wherever there is a potential business opportunity, but I understand from CoffeeJunky's reply that the profit of this industry could be very minimal. So I don't know if I should continue working on this opportunity or just give up.

Many thanks,
Kader

Yodit

Aug 20, 2017
Visit site
Have You got answers to your questions ?

Thank you Peter for your advise. Actually, I would like to learn about this industry but I don't know if I can be offered a paid training. I am ready to go in partnership with any well established wholesalers who are looking to expand their business in different geographies. I live in Milwaukee and I am willing to move wherever there is a potential business opportunity, but I understand from CoffeeJunky's reply that the profit of this industry could be very minimal. So I don't know if I should continue working on this opportunity or just give up.

Many thanks,
Kader

Dear Kader,
Since this thread of commmuincation
is placed two years ago I am wondering about your progress.
please share with me your experience
thanks in advancr