Air roasted or drum roasted?

Chris Kay

Feb 1, 2005
Visit site
Re: nuked coffee

rollman said:
I know someone who has, hes been given 18 months to 2 yrs. :p
Personally i wouldnt go near a microwave roaster...

Tell the story! PLease!
It might be a little on the FAR SIDE!

But if it costs more then a hot air dryer they are in trouble
as it really works!
That came after the (gas) oven for me.[/quote]

that was tongue in cheek.
Though all that rasioactive/ microwave energy wouldnt be fun to be around in my un educated opinion.
:p

rollman

Feb 28, 2005
Visit site
No Really it is here

Hello Mr.Chris,

Really its for real

Please go to this link.

http://www.yenra.com/coffee-roaster/

I try to talk no bull on coffee, but I love to joke
with the coffee pro's on this board!

WASSts this education stuff anyway?

That must be like my chefs training? I though Daddy did a great job before he run off with step-sissy in the coffee delivery truck. I wasnt thrd grown but I learneded, I was home schooled by him!
Nothing cooks and steams steak and greens better better then an barrel. Cut it in half with a couple of shotgun blasts in the side for airflow!
Been having problems with the tires I get these days for fuel, its hard to tell the greens from the steak when the they are done? Any body else had this problem? Could it be the air flow?

I might need to go to the goumet cookng site for the answer!
Might be tough to get a reply so I posted it here.
I really need to know as I got a award thats makes it proven that
I'm a gooden. I won the "road kill" inventional last year with possumn BBQ last year! Yup certifined bonified Chef I am pappers to prove it to.

:-D

I am a OKie and proud of it!

RoastingGuy

Mar 1, 2005
Visit site
What is de best roaster?????

One thinks. It’s sure that the research is important. But no research is better than (experimental research). What the solution? HOT AIR, CONTACT, PRESSURE-ROASTING, RADIAN, MICRO-WAVE? In all contexts some one of this has a good and poor quality’s. For me the ideal roasting system is the one habilitate to use each part of the goodness of all them.

Hot air is good to do uniform bean roast, give longer life to the roasted coffee and decrease shrinkage but don’t give all caramelization goodness like contact roasting.

The contact roasting roast coffee bean almost from surface with a high temperature that make cook like when you grill steak, that give a gourmet taste seeking by lot of people, the default is, that surface attack accelerate the oxidation process and bean taste life is shorter.

The pressure roasting is interesting for release and keeps some certain aroma. When I do my first pressure roaster prototype 13 years a go with PRESTO I remark to release pressure when the temperature is equal to bad aroma like formalin (present in coffee bean but more on Robusta) (See international chromatographic chart for your interest) and make vacuum during that phase, this bad aroma completely to disappear. When temperature equal good aroma I push the pressure at one bar. I did an excellent coffee just with contact and pressure controled and this coffee stays good for over six month. The problem is to apply that on commercial and industrial roaster. I continue to imagine a secure and affordable system to sell over the world but it’s on so simple.

The radian roasting is interesting to take off some bad taste of coffee but have in my sense no great interest.

The micro-wave
It’s only for up 212Fº to take off water. After that temperature it broke the chemical stability of roasted bean and give really bad taste. But you heat up to 212Fº really fast like 70 to 212 in 45 seconds. May be we can work on speed frequency to make better after that temp. I not sure is any interest.

rollman

Feb 28, 2005
Visit site
Hello
roastingguy;

qoute;(The pressure roasting is interesting for release and keeps some certain aroma. When I do my first pressure roaster prototype 13 years a go with PRESTO I remark to release pressure when the temperature is equal to bad aroma like formalin (present in coffee bean but more on Robusta) (See international chromatographic chart for your interest) and make vacuum during that phase, this bad aroma completely to disappear. When temperature equal good aroma I push the pressure at one bar. I did an excellent coffee just with contact and pressure controled and this coffee stays good for over six month. The problem is to apply that on commercial and industrial roaster. I continue to imagine a secure and affordable system to sell over the world but it’s on so simple.)

Probat UG 15 and 22's use this and the G-240s 90's and 60,s
I that I have do this also a little..) At what temperture range do you feel that roaster needs to run at postive and what temperture range should the roaster run at negative pressure?

good post by the way!

RoastingGuy

Mar 1, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rollman

Ok, I enough follow the new roaster market to know about that. I try to look to get info about this roaster (Probat UG 15 and 22s use this and the G-240s 90's and 60s).

In between 125 and 185 Celsius it is better to vacuum and over that pressure 1 bar. But whit mediocre coffee it’s better to not use pressure because the pressure keep bad aroma to.

Nurettin

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
:) capasty and lose aroma is most important problem for every roasters,
every manufactures are working for thıs subject.

but the end of ı see that durum roaster is better than air system.
and think that this staile is trditional if its bad why did not change thıs style

RoastingGuy

Mar 1, 2005
Visit site
Good and poor

Is not just to know are to keep aroma, is to know when and with what coffee it good too or not good too. Each method have a good and poor quality’s what is really important is to invent à concept that use each good parts one of them.

Also the capacity’s is good for big industries only, where the taste is not really important, where the shrinkage and capacities are the master thinks. All small coffee shop need the best quality roasting process to keep there costumers (The taste).

mrman

Dec 16, 2004
California
Visit site
Finally found it (them). As I understand, the company was bought by some private equity group and disappeared for a while. Anyhow, they're obviously back if you're interested. They're very picky about who they give machines and I wasn't high enough volume for them but they were very nice about it. I found pushing away potential business a little odd but since they give the machine to you for no up front cost (whatever you want to call it... shared savngs/lease/roasting fee), I guess they need to be picky. It's still really cool and I'd love to have one. I'll have to see how much I can increase my volume!

freshroastsystems.com

MAXTOR

Sep 12, 2004
Visit site
He's bringing it up again.

Since this was the thread I last posted in, I might well, bring it back up.
Much has happened in the last 11 years in terms of fluid-bed roasters, at least out here in Asia.
I built my first roaster in 2003, but that has evolved now and we are back.
For anyone interested in this roasting technology, go and visit Roastmaxtor.com and take a look.
Looking forward to comments.
Thanks Maxtor:coffee-bean: