Best coffee brewer and blend?

SocialSandwich

New member
Sep 7, 2008
8
0
Hello, coffee drinkers of the world! I must say, it''s a pleasure to be able to converse with other coffee lovers as myself, as usually when I start going off about coffee with my friends, they just look at me weird. :( Pshh, what do they know?

Now to end the ass-kissing...

I''ve been drinking coffee for a couple years now, usually when I was out and about, ready to crash. Not long after, I decided to begin brewing my own coffee. I picked up a decent Krups espresso machine, which did its job fairly well. I just could never get that sweet, flavorful taste that you''ll find from coffee shops. I''ve read about it on websites and everything for how to make that perfect cup of espresso, but I just can''t get it down.

I eventually find an amazing deal on a Rancilio Silvia. It was certainly better than the Krups, but considering that it took a good 30 minutes to heat up properly just for a single cup of coffee, and as I''m the only one who really drinks it in my family, I decided to let it go and return to my Krups. And since my usual Costco peaberry has been discontinued and replaced by less flavorful blends, I''m at a loss for what to buy.

So now I''ve become bored of my Krups espresso machine, and am back to regular, boring beans, I''d like to start from the beginning, and hopefully discover how to get that rich, creamy brew that is oh-so coveted at my local coffee shop.

My question is; what is the best coffee apparatus for brewing the greatest cup of coffee, and how is it used? I''ve been looking into coffee presses, as I hear they''re quite good if used correctly. I''m sure there is some debate in this field, and that''s why I''ve come to you.

And now my second question: Where can I find a rich, flavorful coffee blend? It doesn''t matter whether it''s purchasable online or off, though I would prefer it not putting a hole in my poor wallet.

I''ll greatly appreciate the help. 8)
 

ElPugDiablo

New member
Jul 16, 2004
991
0
Hartford and New Haven, CT
SocialSandwich said:
I''d like to start from the beginning, and hopefully discover how to get that rich, creamy brew that is oh-so coveted at my local coffee shop.

My question is; what is the best coffee apparatus for brewing the greatest cup of coffee, and how is it used? I''ve been looking into coffee presses, as I hear they''re quite good if used correctly. I''m sure there is some debate in this field, and that''s why I''ve come to you.

And now my second question: Where can I find a rich, flavorful coffee blend? It doesn''t matter whether it''s purchasable online or off, though I would prefer it not putting a hole in my poor wallet.

I''ll greatly appreciate the help. 8)
For starter, buy some beans from your local shop and see if using those beans in your press yields better result than the costco peaberry. What kind of water are you using, and at what temperature?
 
OP
S

SocialSandwich

New member
Sep 7, 2008
8
0
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #3
ElPugDiablo said:
SocialSandwich said:
I''d like to start from the beginning, and hopefully discover how to get that rich, creamy brew that is oh-so coveted at my local coffee shop.

My question is; what is the best coffee apparatus for brewing the greatest cup of coffee, and how is it used? I''ve been looking into coffee presses, as I hear they''re quite good if used correctly. I''m sure there is some debate in this field, and that''s why I''ve come to you.

And now my second question: Where can I find a rich, flavorful coffee blend? It doesn''t matter whether it''s purchasable online or off, though I would prefer it not putting a hole in my poor wallet.

I''ll greatly appreciate the help. 8)
For starter, buy some beans from your local shop and see if using those beans in your press yields better result than the costco peaberry. What kind of water are you using, and at what temperature?
Reverse osmosis distilled water from Roaring Spring.

I'm not quite sure the EXACT temperature that I'm using, but I usually bring the water to a boil and let it sit for a minute or so while I grind and prepare everything else.
 

ElPugDiablo

New member
Jul 16, 2004
991
0
Hartford and New Haven, CT
SocialSandwich said:
Reverse osmosis distilled water from Roaring Spring.

I'm not quite sure the EXACT temperature that I'm using, but I usually bring the water to a boil and let it sit for a minute or so while I grind and prepare everything else.
Wonder if the water you are using is good for coffee brewing. Does the label show a TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) number? If it is less than 100 ppm, you should use a different water.
 

ArabBeaker

New member
Sep 19, 2008
71
0
New Zealand
SocialSandwich said:
My question is; what is the best coffee apparatus for brewing the greatest cup of coffee, and how is it used?

For me thats easy, an espresso machine.

I made espresso for years and was mostly quite happy with the results. However from time to time I got poor results and did'nt know exactly why. Until recently, after experiencing espresso at one local cafe in particular.

Subsequently I chatted with a professional roaster who explained to me the benifits of owning a good grinder. ( but hey, I thought ... isn't the espresso machine much more important ... ? )

Nope.

Since buying a decent new conical burr grinder (approx $180) and a reasonable espresso machine ( approx $US 500 ) I have discovered how its possible to create the same quality espresso that I find at that cafe I mentioned.
Now I have started buying green beans and roasting at home so I never have to use stale beans ever again. Amen.

To answer your question better: here is my equipment in order of preference for getting great coffee:
Freshly roasted beans 3-4 days old
A good burr grinder
A reasonable espresso machine
Good milk texturing capabilities
Know what geat espresso actually tastes like :!:
 

shadow745

Active member
Aug 15, 2005
1,605
9
Central North Carolina
I'd recommend buying beans from a pro caliber roaster. Nothing wrong with the smaller local roasters, but I personally trust the product a company like Counter Culture Coffee, Intelligentsia, etc. cranks out. They do extensive research and testing to ensure what you're buying is the best out there.

If you're confused as to what you should order simply them and e-mail them and tell them what type of roast/taste profile you like and they can recommend something.

Lots of people buy a nice conical grinder and a french press and say nothing else will do. Cheap and effective. IMO it takes a certain breed to truly love espresso. Very concentrated and it took me several years to wean off the milk and drink shots straight. Later!
 
Top