BEST FRENCH PRESS

cuppED

May 15, 2005
Visit site
What are some affordable French Presses no more than $30?

How long does the coffee stay heated/warm in a french press?

In need of some sort of coffee maker, I left my at home and these long nights of grad school studying are killing me. I really don't want to buy a regular coffee maker b/c I only want to brew around 3 cups or so and I also need something POTENT, hahaha. Thanks in advance.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
You can find them pretty cheap. As to keeping them hot, you want to transfer your coffee to a carafe. When you transfer the coffee it will assure that you do not over extract your brew! :wink:

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I know nothing about presses, but others rave over what Bodum offers. I'd pay a little more and get something with a high end build quality, like a metal filter in the bottom instead of cheaper plastic. Later!

SlowRain

I usually use the Aeropress for making coffee (GREAT coffee!!!), but I need something that will make a few more cups for when company comes. I was thinking about a French press. I have a few questions:

Are the beakers and plungers the same on all Bodum press pots? I know some have stainless steel handles and some have plastic ones, but are the innards all created equal?

Has anyone ever tried Tiamo press pots?

Thanks

coffeepotato

Mar 15, 2008
Visit site
I personally would go with Bodum french press. Once you brew the coffee you should transfer it to a thermo so that the coffee does not get over-extracted.

I you are the sort of person who leaves the coffee in the french press for a long time then consider getting BonJour french press (they design the filter in a unique way that prevents over-extracting the coffee).

My web site has several pages dedicated to french press coffee maker, you may find them useful. Don't worry, I am not selling anything - just talking about the different types of french press and giving some tips about using it.