Best of State 2017 and the importance of teaching excellence to our children

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Alex-caffedbolla-Best-2017-.jpg

We are continuously inspired to achieve excellence in our craft by the people we love.

*Best of State 2017 Specialty Beverages (Siphon Coffee)
*Best of State 2017 Artisan Foods (Roasted Whole Bean Coffee)

I love making coffee, I love roasting coffee... but teaching our son about the importance of improvement, dynamic innovation, and the desire to be the best at your chosen craft motivates me. Respect is something you earn through proven achievement and sustained excellence, and it's an honor and a responsibility I take seriously to pass that lesson on to the next generation.

We've been making coffee for 13 years, and in 2007 and 2009 we tried for Best of State... and it wasn't to be. And it's because the first criteria is proven excellence, and it's funny, but we had to get national recognition along with a host of local articles before the committee felt we should be considered. I was fine with that. As "coffee" wasn't even a category to be nominated for, the people who were not coffee people had to understand that we were operating on a totally different level than everyone else. We couldn't just say it. We had to demonstrate it. And THAT is what I think is important to teach our son. Don't settle. Don't be satisfied with just being "ok". Know what it feels like to not make it, know that not everyone deserves a trophy...and then get better, become more skilled and never stop improving--And in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 (twice), and this year as well, the Best of State committee was gracious enough to recognize what we have done and what we continue to do.

Attachments

• Alex caffedbolla Best 2017.jpg
    Alex caffedbolla Best 2017.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 114

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Congratulations John!

I remember when your son was first born. Time is just flying by.

It's fantastic that you found ways to turn your passion for excellence into a valuable learning experience for your son.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Rose

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Congratulations John!

I remember when your son was first born. Time is just flying by.

It's fantastic that you found ways to turn your passion for excellence into a valuable learning experience for your son.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Rose
Rose,

Thank you for the kind words. [emoji106]