Caffeine & Headaches

50dolars

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I feel headaches when using it
---------------------------------
URLs Removed by Moderator. This is a coffee forum, not a travel website!

JuliaKhanam

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
My understanding and experience is about 2 weeks and then you're done, but each individual could have slight variations on the theme....Congratulations on the wise choice and follow through actions! Good luck--don't give up now-- Not after you've made it half way through! You don't want to have to start all over again.

JohnB

May 30, 2008
Connecticut
Visit site
I'll get a headache when I've been drinking lots of coffee/espresso for several days in a row & then cut back the next day. I wake up the middle of that night with a killer caffeine withdrawal headache. 2 Ibuprofen knocks it out & by morning I'm fine.

Every 6 months or so I do a caffeine withdrawal for 4-5 days. The headaches subside about half way through the first day.

JohnB

May 30, 2008
Connecticut
Visit site
Every once in awhile I like to clear the caffeine out of my system & remember what it feels like to be caffeine free. I drink coffee, especially espresso, for the taste & consider caffeine an unfortunate side effect I could easily live without. It's also fun to from start from scratch again without the tolerance you build up over time.

ArabBeaker

Sep 19, 2008
New Zealand
Visit site
I have found coffee to be at the least, a contributing cause of headaches for me, if I over endulge, and that means more than two double espressos in the morning, every morning.

I am usually fine on two or even three single shots per morning without any headaches, but more than this on a regular basis and the headaches will start soone or later.
To get rid of the headaches entirely I have discovered I need to go cold turkey for 10 days at least and two weeks is better. After going without for 24 hours I will have a severe headache for a day or so, like my head is going to split, then it will calm down to a slight ache for a day or two, then after this all headaches are gone entirely, but I need to stay off the stuff for another week at least, seemingly to "clear" my system.

I have a sedentary job and I believe this also plays a role.
I also accept there are many theories about coffee and headaches and self diagnoisis is a human tendency however I have proven my own theory time and again over many years and I would rather "manage" my coffee drinking with moderation than give up entirely.

PEBARTS

Jul 28, 2011
Brandon, MS
Visit site
This is actually what i've always heard, that caffeine opens up the blood vessels, which helps out. Correct me if I'm wrong...I might just associate with liars..hahaha!

The morning headache may be a slight caffeine addiction - but who cares, right? I don't seem to get headaches much from coffee but I do get migraines from time to time. I've been told that caffeine contributes to migraines but my OTC meds that work well have a pretty good dose of it in there. Since they don't know for sure what causes migraines, I guess it's inconclusive - you'd think the caffeine would open the blood vessels and alleviate the headache. The brain is a scary machine!

CJA

Sep 20, 2011
Washington D.C.
Visit site
Wow...a lot of these posts sound exactly like my lifestyle regarding caffeine. I have to have 2 cups in the morning, by 630am at the latest. The amazing thing is, if just a few minutes go by past that time without me getting my coffee, the headache starts to set in. Once it starts it's almost guaranteed it'll last most of the day, even if I do eventually drink coffee afterwards. These kinds of headaches are some of the most powerful I've ever had (I also get hunger and eye-strain headaches). It feels like what a migraine might be described as...not pleasant.