Can I drink coffee when I'm pregnant? And a Caffeine Chart for Pregnant Women

georgewhittington

Apr 1, 2019
Visit site
Yes, you can still enjoy a mug of coffee every now and then during your pregnancy. Just make sure that you don't have more than 200mg of caffeine in a day. If you regularly have more than 200mg of caffeine a day while you're pregnant, you'll have a higher risk of having a baby with low birth weight.

barryallen1337

Aug 18, 2019
Visit site
Check with your doctor about having caffeine during your pregnancy. One cup of coffee is usually OK, but it's best to not have more than that. It's hard to know exactly how much caffeine is in a cup of coffee. The total can depend on things like the brand of coffee and the size of the cup.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I think there are two relevant responses to this question. Both can be found at American College of Obstetrics & Gynecology by Googling Pregnancy and Caffeine. Result of many tests do not provide definitive answers as to the effects of caffeine consumption during pregnancy. Most likely, imo, because nobody signs up to be in the study...lol! Most everyone agrees, however, that consuming 200mg or less per day is safe. Peace of mind is priceless, so almost any choice that a pregnant woman makes regarding the risk to an unborn child that errs on the side of caution cannot be a bad decision.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Yup! if the pregnant lady drinks more than 200 mg, this is how the baby will look.... all the time.

View attachment 10194

9k=

9k=

Last edited:

Grind

Sep 25, 2019
Visit site
The NHS in the UK says no more than 200mg a day which is 2 cups of instant coffee. But given the risks of low birth weight and miscarriage, it might perhaps be better to avoid. You can read more at the NHS website.

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
I've read that one to two cups a day of coffee is "ok". But more than that and there could be negative effects on the baby's development. The way I see it, if more than one or two cups is bad, why even have any? Why take the chance? Is it really worth it to drink coffee and take the risk, no matter how small, that it will have a negative impact on the fetus? I suppose you would want to abstain while pregnant and then if breast feeding abstain until no longer breast feeding. After all, there is a reason we don't give coffee to babies and children. Put it another way, if you wouldn't give your newborn baby coffee or even your toddler or young child coffee, why would you give it to your fetus?

tombaker

Dec 11, 2019
Dallas, Texas
Visit site
As pregnancy develops in the bodythe volume of blood that circulates through the veins and arteries increases, therefore, the load on the cardiovascular system of the future mother increases. It is understood that a change in pressure caused by coffee can further aggravate the situation.

Gibsongi

Nov 9, 2020
England Coventry
Visit site
Sometimes it depends on what your doctor recommends. For example, since I got pregnant it was forbidden for me to drink coffee and soda. Even if drinking coffee sometimes will not affect your child it depends on your pregnancy. So, if you can not exclude it from your routine, go to an obstetrician, give some analysis and the doctor will tell you if you can or can not drink coffee. Since I got pregnant I only make my appointments at cameronmch.com I like their attitude and professionalism. I highly recommend them!

Latest posts