Capuccino Freddo

dpsycho

Jun 8, 2006
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Visit site
This is part two of the thread I started on Espresso Freddo.

A big mistake that is commonly made when preparing iced coffe drinks is that they mix cold with hot liquids. If you go into a Starbucks and ask for a Iced Capuccino they'll say that te froth does something with the cold coffee and that they can't prepare it. I don't know (and don't care) about the health issues but the truth is that if you try to mix a cold drink with hot foam then the foam will disolve and you will end up with a latte or an iced coffee+milk.

The trick is to prepare a cold foam!!

Again, what you need for the foam is a Milk-shake stirer (you can find a table top version in bed,bath & beyond, Meijer's, and recently saw a $25 one at Krogers) There are also small battery powered ones that are more difficult to find and are equally as good (if not better since they don't beat the crap out of whatever you are beating). The table top high powered one is best for frothing milk!!

For the coffee, you brew your espresso (preferably stronger than usual) and pour it over ice, you may add syrop or sugar. For the cappuccino there is no need to froth the coffee since the froth is going to be made from milk.

Meanwhile, put a noticeable amount of cold milk in the milkshake container and put it under the stirer. It might need a few minutes of stiring depending on what kind of milk you use. You can also add some crushed ice (not cubes) before so that the milk stays cold.

What I do is while the coffee is brewing, I stir up the froth and prepare a glass of ice and some syrop that I keep in the fridge (simply boil water and sugar). Then when the coffee is made I pour it over the ice, wait for it to cool down, possibly add some more ice, and then I pour the frothed milk on top. This way all the ingredients have almost the same temperature. Then I serve with a straw. The drinker uses the straw to mix the milk, coffee and syrop but when it is served the combination of foam and coffee creates some cool patterns!!!

Comming up next: Frappe

MrBox

Feb 21, 2006
Statesboro, GA
Visit site
I don't know why more people haven't caught on.

Coffee over ice = watered down l cofee; chilled coffee over ice = a great iced coffee

I've only seen a few places keep a container of chilled coffee for iced drinks. It makes a ton of difference

also a small shaker produces a nice iced espresso, it makes it less watered down.

cuppED

May 15, 2005
Visit site
I always wondered why people didn't have a pot of chilled coffee to make their ice coffees. Everytime I order an ice coffee they would use the hot one and thus, water downed coffee, it was BLEH! I just thought if you chilled the coffee it did something bad to it which was the reason why I thought coffee houses didn't do it. Good to know some people do it the right way...I feel like getting one right now, see ya!

unit_number_43

May 8, 2006
Pennsylvania
Visit site
We always keep our iced coffees chilled in the fridge. I never thought to whisk the milk. tommorow at work I'm going to try put some milk in the blender and see what happens.

There's a guy that orders a breve latte everyday, and wanted it iced and blended. It basically tripled in size from the half and half frothing. Whole milk lattes don't froth as much, but maybe just blending straight milk with no ice will change that.

The real problem, as I see it, with an iced capp. is that you can't make a cold espresso shot. At least not without customizing a machine. sure you can chill shots, but they spoil... I don't know, this is going to take some experimenting.

dpsycho

Jun 8, 2006
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Visit site
Recently I bought those plastic cubes with some liquid in them that you freeze and use instead of ice cubes. I used them to chill down the coffee as soon as it enters the container under the espresso machine (common sense is needed so not to overflow the container) and found out that in a few seconds your espresso is chilled without being diluted at all!!! Of course I rinse them and reuse them after pouring the coffee.
Actually, I had to tone down the strength of my coffee. Of course I always add ice no matter what but to keep it chilled and not to chill it.

Night Guy

Jan 28, 2006
Winnipeg manitoba Ca.
Visit site
MrBox said:
I don't know why more people haven't caught on.

Coffee over ice = watered down l cofee; chilled coffee over ice = a great iced coffee

How would it be if say you make your coffee and the surplus you freeze in icecube trays I quess not practical for Commercial aplications but for home use should be fine