Do I have a good enough machine for latte art (Philips EP1220)

Nickv

Apr 8, 2023
Netherlands
Visit site
I wanted to start with late art and I saw a opportunity because we recently got a new coffee machine at home.

I found at home a pitcher so I tried to make good foam to pour latte art. It didn't go well at making the foam. So I hopped on google to find a good pitcher/advice on the machine to make good foam.

But when I was busy finding a pitcher I came to the question if the machine we have at home isn't good enough.

So my question to you all is if there are people that are know with the Philips EP1220 (or Siemens EQ300 (can use this machine elsewhere) ).
(This machine have a classic milk frother if I am not mistaking).

If someone has any tips, advices or suggestions I really want to hear them.

Lastly, I saw some review on the EP1220 where the host poured latte art and said 'it's a flower'. I didn't saw the result but that did let me belive it could work.
For this video you can go to this (watch at 9.15);

Hope to hear from someone!
Thanks in advance.

I never used that machine, but by the look of the milk consistency in the video, it will make microfoam for your lattes.
Because it's a panarello, you can't dip it too much into the milk, because it will block the pinhole at the top. This means smaller milk quantities. The pitcher itself doesn't do much, it's the frothing wand and the machine that matters. The pitcher will allow you better control when pouring the latte art.

Nickv

Apr 8, 2023
Netherlands
Visit site
I never used that machine, but by the look of the milk consistency in the video, it will make microfoam for your lattes.
Because it's a panarello, you can't dip it too much into the milk, because it will block the pinhole at the top. This means smaller milk quantities. The pitcher itself doesn't do much, it's the frothing wand and the machine that matters. The pitcher will allow you better control when pouring the latte art.
Thank for your reply. I am new to the concept of making microfoam, but if I understand you right it is possible. I am firstly glad to hear that because I was afraid it wasn’t possible with the machine or it wouldn’t be good enough.
First I have a question about the Siemens EQ300, it this a panarello too, because with the knowledge I have now it isn’t. See the videos below for some examples about the Siemens:

After a fast online search (about panarello) I came along three video’s:
This one shows a way to make it easier?! Is it right this will help?

The second one shows it original, I think this is a good example for me…

The third video shows a comparison, I guess this is handy as well?

Also thanks for the reply about the pitcher. It did really help. Then I think I just need to practice and it will be possible.

If you have any feedback after this reply just let me know. Again thank you for the help (so far).

The best route if you want to make latte art is to get a semiautomatic espresso machine with a commercial style steam wand.
Panarellos were initially invented to froth milk. Frothed milk is used for cappuccino. Cappuccino has 1/3 espresso, 1/3 steamed milk, and 1/3 foamed, (frothed), milk. That being said, some manufacturers designed their panarellos to be able to steam milk and create microfoam, the type of foam that is used for latte art.
To be honest, if you really want a superautomatic, the best idea is to ask the manufacturer. Or maybe the store where you are buying it from. Some of these are very knowledgeable, and they know the machines inside out.
Some of these steaming wands can be fitted with a commercial style steam wand tip. With that you have complete control over the fluffiness of your milk. You just need to learn the technique. A panarello on the other hand gives you no control over the style of foam/steaming, but it is very simple to use, and require no skill.
But removing the panarello jacket is a great hack. It might not work on all machines, though.

I assume you are not afraid of a little experimentation and learning, since latte art requires a bit of skills to build. With that assumption in mind, my recommendation is to get a semi-auto with a decent sized boiler, or even two good thermoblock.
The super-automatics are designed with convenience in mind, and not flexibility.

Nickv

Apr 8, 2023
Netherlands
Visit site
The best route if you want to make latte art is to get a semiautomatic espresso machine with a commercial style steam wand.
Panarellos were initially invented to froth milk. Frothed milk is used for cappuccino. Cappuccino has 1/3 espresso, 1/3 steamed milk, and 1/3 foamed, (frothed), milk. That being said, some manufacturers designed their panarellos to be able to steam milk and create microfoam, the type of foam that is used for latte art.
To be honest, if you really want a superautomatic, the best idea is to ask the manufacturer. Or maybe the store where you are buying it from. Some of these are very knowledgeable, and they know the machines inside out.
Some of these steaming wands can be fitted with a commercial style steam wand tip. With that you have complete control over the fluffiness of your milk. You just need to learn the technique. A panarello on the other hand gives you no control over the style of foam/steaming, but it is very simple to use, and require no skill.
But removing the panarello jacket is a great hack. It might not work on all machines, though.

I assume you are not afraid of a little experimentation and learning, since latte art requires a bit of skills to build. With that assumption in mind, my recommendation is to get a semi-auto with a decent sized boiler, or even two good thermoblock.
The super-automatics are designed with convenience in mind, and not flexibility.
Thanks for the reply. This helps a lot!

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
I would agree that the machine can do microfoam... one thing to note... Gail who is the woman in the video, is not great at pouring latte art (self admitted). TIme to practice... a cheap way to learn/practice is to use food coloring instead of espresso. Obviously still using up milk but saves $$ on the espresso.

Nickv

Apr 8, 2023
Netherlands
Visit site
I would agree that the machine can do microfoam... one thing to note... Gail who is the woman in the video, is not great at pouring latte art (self admitted). TIme to practice... a cheap way to learn/practice is to use food coloring instead of espresso. Obviously still using up milk but saves $$ on the espresso.
Thanks for your response. I am going to practice with it in the near future. I had further seen in a video (see video below) that you could practice with water and dish soap.
You then put water with a little bit of dish soap in the pitcher. Which you will steam up.
In a glass you put some ground coffee (from the container of brewed coffee) and then you mix that with a little water.
Then you pour with your pitcher as yoy would normally do.

I just don't know if this totally works, as I haven't really gotten to the point where I had it all right when I tested myself. So maybe this doesn't go as shown in the video.
If this does go well, then this is a way to not waste coffee and milk.

The video: