Cleaning issue with my Breville Barista Express

eaglelynn

Jul 13, 2019
Visit site
The manual that came with my Breville Barista Express BES870XL /A doesn't match with the cleaning process I just experienced. My "clean" light flashed so I followed the manual instructions putting a cleaning tab in the single basket, pushing one cup, two cup and power on all at the same time. Manual said that water would come out of the portafilter spout, but that did not happen. Manual said there would be three beeps in five minutes. In five minutes I got two beeps. Anyone actually done the cleaning cycle? It's Saturday so Breville support is not available. I want to feel ok about drinking my coffee tomorrw and don't want to end up drinking their cleaning solution.

eaglelynn

Jul 13, 2019
Visit site
There seems to be confusion from Breville on how to clean their infuser model and how to clean the barista express. The video link you sent me matches my manual but NOT what I am experiencing. (No water comes out during my cleaning process.) I will call Breville on Monday. They have an online manual for the BES870XL and that seems to match what I am experiencing. I will ask them to send me their "new" manual.

And WhyCoffee .. this is NOT cleaning the porta filter. It is cleaning an area which gets oil built up as the machine "sucks" moisture back in at the end of its brewing cycle to create a dry puck.

eaglelynn

Jul 13, 2019
Visit site
Backup of what? I will have to buy more cleaning tabs but portafilter and basket are fine. When I looked at all the comments on the video, they explained that new barista cleaning disk doesn't have holes thus water ends up in the cleaning tray and it beeps twice whereas earlier version had water coming out of the porta filter AND it beeped three times. They gave me the wrong manual thus the confusion. Thanks WhyCoffee for responding so quickly :)

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I think Breville needs to get their head out of their a$$ to make a better product and stop trying to make everything as automated as possible. There are things that need to be done manually by the user that will always be more effective than some of the things they try to incorporate which usually just confuses the user and leads to more to go wrong.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Over the years I've described machines based on their function. A 'true' semi-auto is one that requires the user to control the on/off flow manually. An auto is usually considered as one using timing or volumetric metering to automatically control the flow. A super auto is one that grinds, doses, tamps, extracts (usually volume controlled), dumps the puck, etc. Guess Breville calls things whatever they want as they design/build them.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
The manual that came with my Breville Barista Express BES870XL /A doesn't match with the cleaning process I just experienced. My "clean" light flashed so I followed the manual instructions putting a cleaning tab in the single basket, pushing one cup, two cup and power on all at the same time. Manual said that water would come out of the portafilter spout, but that did not happen. Manual said there would be three beeps in five minutes. In five minutes I got two beeps. Anyone actually done the cleaning cycle? It's Saturday so Breville support is not available. I want to feel ok about drinking my coffee tomorrw and don't want to end up drinking their cleaning solution.

Amazon has a questions and answers page on their website.

Do a search in the box and ask about cleaning. It will find the key words and show you the results. You may be able to find an answer there, or you can ask a question and people will respond. Here are some examples:

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/asin/B00CH9QWOU/3/ref=ask_ql_psf_ql_hza?isAnswered=true

eaglelynn

Jul 13, 2019
Visit site
Yes, I could cull through Amazon, but there is a support number for Breville. I called them and they said, yes, there is a problem with the documentation for the newer version, so sent me a link to the .pdf for the newer version but of course it was the old cleaning cycle description. I give up .. I know my machine cleaned itself even if I wasted one of the cleaning tabs. Eventually Breville will get its act together but for now, at least their machine is wonderful.

Jicubevic

Jun 28, 2021
UK, London
Visit site
If you do not monitor the condition of your coffee machine, then you will have to face the same situation as me. Recently, my coffee machine just overheated, and after a loud bang, the whole room was filled with coffee. I had to call the cleaning service to clean up ... I was able to find great skilled people in west London from https://www.emop.co.uk/west-london-cleaner, and they did a great job with their mission ...