Cleaning Jets on a Gas Roaster

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
I'm the second owner of my Ambex YM-2K, and it's time to do some maintenance on the jets, I believe.

The flame out of the jet closest to the front of the drum is weaker than the others. I thought this may be because it's the furthest from where the propane enters the manifold, and may be partly due to that. But the flame from that nozzle/jet seems to be getting lower.

What's involved with maintaining a good flow from the jets? How do I make sure they're clean? Do I need any special tools, and do the nozzles have to be removed?

Thanks!

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
It may be the orifice is clogged with carbon or some substance. You may be able to clean the orifice with a small safety pin or needle without removing the jet.
I would try that first. Are they set on an angle in the YM2? they are on the 10k. If that does not work, they do have small wire cleaners for torch tips(acetylene etc.),
They could be purchased at a local store where they fill Argon or Acetylene tanks, or a welding supplier. Watch video at 1min 40 seconds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_6FJSlF8Nk

When I replaced my natural gas jets to propane jets on my Ambex 10, I used an 11mm wrench. They just unscrew. It took a while,
I removed the burner first and measured the distance between burner and drum, just to make sure I reinstalled
it the exact same way.

I suppose if you find one a little clogged, you may want to check them all. Personally, I have never cleaned mine.
If you remove the jet/jets would could try forced air(like for cleaning keyboards) or soaking in some carb cleaner.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I have dealt with this many times. In the past I would pull every jet and blow them out...I assume you have an air compressor for a weigh and fill. If you do you can buy a cheap head to blow out your orifices I found due to time that it was best to have a second set to just pull the dirty ones and swap them till I had time to clean the older ones. I guess it comes down to what your production schedule is like. If you have time pull em and blow them out. Let us know how it works out.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
I have an 220V air compressor in my garage...

you can buy a cheap head to blow out your orifices

By head, do you mean an attachment for the air hose? Like a blowgun of some sort?

I watched the video that Jumpin' posted, and read an old Ambex forum, which lead me to make a trip to Home Creepot for some torch tip wire cleaners. I took the two jets that were low out and ran the smallest wire through, working my way up to the third smallest. I wonder if this had ever been done, as there was a grey crust in there that was tough as nails. I wonder if compressed air would've worked, but now that they're clean that would work well to keep them that way.

The semi-bad news was that somehow the one nozzle turned way too easy, and it looks like some bozo cranked on the brass nozzle too hard and wore off a portion of the threads. I applied some high temp pipe thread sealant after cleaning the orifice and put it back in, thinking that it'll have a better seal than it did. But the sealant is flammable before it's cured so I'm going to wait 'til tomorrow to fire it up.

Topher, I'm just a little roaster, kind of a hobby that covers my property tax and car/home insurance... maybe 70# per month in sales. I sell about 10K# per year of green to other small guys and homeroasters, but roasted sales are kind of a joke. So, yeah, I could take the jets out of service anytime. I spent a couple hours today cleaning all the airways and exhaust fan, and greasing what should be greased, so if the jets start putting out, I'm good to go next roasting day.