Coffee Beginner

djveed

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Sure I guess the order of steps can be switched around for some people.

So the order I went in was buying freshly roasted and freshly ground beans first. Then buying the espresso maker to use the freshly bought and ground beans. Then I bought a grinder to grind them myself. And just yesterday I picked up a French Press! So for me - FP came after step 5.

I figured I'll need quite a bit of time before diving into roasting myself. Right now, I'd like to sit there and taste my fresh Kenyan espresso using fresh roasted beans that I ground myself, and then taste Green Mountain. And then the decaf Sumatra. And after that..... you get the picture.

Seeing as how you're just starting out, I'd say count on buying an espresso maker within thirty days. But it's a hefty purchase (my wife almost left me when she thought I was buying a $400 coffee maker to replace our free plastic one). But hey - cheers to fine beans.

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
Aw, you had to say Kenyan... It's my fave, next to Sumatran, so far. Does Kenyan make good espresso?

Could you possibly explain the difference between Kenyan drip or FP and Kenyan espresso? Is the difference worth the purchase of a new espresso machine?

Thanks djveed for the input! :D

djveed

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Well I'll tell you that I'm a total newbie to coffee connasoorism. I couldn't tell the difference between a Kenyan and a white man. (bad joke). But I can tell you the difference between Drip, French Press, and Espresso is quite simple. They're three distinctly different methods of brewing coffee. That's all. I own all three types and frequently switch. I'm just learning about coffee as an art and I figured the wider I can taste things, the better I'll get at it. Drip is the standard coffee maker we use, where water is dripped through ground coffee and a filter. Coffee connasoors will tell you that paper filters can change the taste of coffee, so they recommend copper tone filters. I know I spelled connasoors wrong - but being sophisticated is over-rated.

Espresso is again just a different brew method - instead of dripping water through coffee, it's rapidly forced through at high pressure.

And French press is yet another one - I haven't figured it out quite yet but essentially coffee and water is mixed together (thereby brewing) and then the water is poured out while the grinds stay in.

Now all we have to do is learn racial sensitivity and we're all set.

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
Well, I must say, I'm not a connasoor of fine gourmet coffees, but it's quite an adventure, learning the differences between the origins. Not to mention the levels of roast that work well for each origin.

In my opinion, a medium roast is perfect for Kenyan. Why take it any further?

Before, dark roasted blends were my preference, but noticing the distinction between the origins is a task I'm currently undertaking and I've noticed that the flavors are more obvious when roasted to a medium level. The darker the roast, the more difficult it becomes to detect where the coffee came from.

Now, I can appreciate a blend, because I know what went into it. Recently, I've enjoyed a blend of African, Central and South American beans from Boca Java, called Boca Sunrise. It's the perfect blend and roast level for my taste.

I agree, to a point, that being sophisticated can be over-rated. I myself try to live by the motto "Keep one foot in the gutter and one fist in the gold". But on the contrary, ignorance can also be over-rated and even glamorized. I'm sure you'll agree. More so nowadays than ever before....

djveed

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
I still insist on refusing to spell connasoor correctly.

I just find the whole thing, the whole "art" of coffee fascinating. Five years ago some freeze-dried Folgers was what I wanted simply as a caffeine boost. Now it's really nice to take the time and actually develop something that tastes GREAT to me. I brought my French Press into work today and ground a couple beans for an afternoon delight. Life is good...