Coffee Roaster Recommendation

espressimon

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys, my name is Simon and I recently joined this forum as I am preparing to open a coffee house in Mexico later this year.
There aren't many coffee houses where I live (few starbucks here and there) and even fewer places that do their own roasting (I've only seen one so far).
I think that roasting my own beans and serving fresh coffee can be a differentiating factor that can lead to success in this area.
I have done some research on roasting machines but as a newbie in coffee, I am having difficulty deciding which roasting machine to purchase.
I was thinking of purchasing 2.5-3kg (per batch) machine and running it full time (10 hours a day) every 3~4 days. Would anybody with a keen sense of numbers be able to advise on the feasibility of my planned approach?
I expect to sell 300~500 cups a day although I will have to build up to that volume.

My budget for the roaster is around 12,000 USD (with a bit of flexibility allowed) and one of the important factors for me is getting the machine into Mexico.
I would prefer to find a dealer here in Mexico to avoid import taxes etc. but may not have a choice but to import from other countries.
Please shed light on these issues and thanks in advance for your help. :p

AndyP

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I started a roasting business (wholesale only) about 7 months ago. Also a newbie to coffee, I purchased a new ambex 5kilo machine. I'm very happy with it, I took a few lessons, did a bunch of research, and after some trial and error I'm making coffee that I'm really happy with. (customers too which is more important). I wouldn't stress about the brand you buy - I'm sure all the major brands are great machines. As far as coffee quality goes I feel like it must be up to the person operating the roaster and the fresh factor. Dont forget to factor in the cost to install the roaster safely, purchase exhaust pieces, and vent properly. Ive encountered LOTS of problems starting the business but none of them are due to the Ambex or the quality of coffee I produce.

IslandRoast

Dec 5, 2013
Carolina Beach, NC
Visit site
I use a 10 Kilo Ambex and love it, not the swankiest machines around but they are work horses and customer service is great. I'm actually thinking of getting either another 10K or a bigger machine later this year.