weak coffee

nikijack

Hi: I use a pour over, filter coffee. I roast my own beans, have a great grinder, fine ground beans. Use 4 or 5 Peet's coffee measures, for about half a mug. It still comes out weak and tasteless. Any ideas? Right now, I'm warming up the espresso machine, to get my caffeine fix for the day.

thanks,

Jack

Enigma-2

Oct 26, 2023
Indiana
Visit site
Have you tried using a dark roast?

Coffee is highly subjective so only you can decide what's best. I found my coffee too weak and switched to Farmers Brothers, 100% Arabica. Much stronger and better flavor.

(Never tried Peets).

nikijack

Thanks: My coffee is usually much darker than the pictures. maybe too dark. I use Sweet Helena's, and Pre-umber (Canada) - free shipping. I try a variety of beans. maybe i should reach out, and ask the supplier for the strongest beans.
How long does it take to brew? Adjust the time based on your grind size. Too short might result in under-extraction, making it weak.
You might be on to something. I had been pouring the water twice. Now, 3 times, it's a little stronger. I was impatient.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Hi: I use a pour over, filter coffee. I roast my own beans, have a great grinder, fine ground beans. Use 4 or 5 Peet's coffee measures, for about half a mug. It still comes out weak and tasteless. Any ideas? Right now, I'm warming up the espresso machine, to get my caffeine fix for the day.

thanks,

Jack
How are you making your coffee? What device? How many grams water and coffee are you using?

mjboise

Nov 24, 2018
Visit site
A Scale would be your friend. It would add consistency. Try 16:1 ratio final brew weight:coffee. Adjust the grinder until you can get the pouring done in 2:30 and it's done dripping out by just after 3 min. "Good Grinder" is an interesting comment. Burr Grinder, is what you'll really need to make proper adjustments and manage your extraction properly.

nikijack

A Scale would be your friend. It would add consistency. Try 16:1 ratio final brew weight:coffee. Adjust the grinder until you can get the pouring done in 2:30 and it's done dripping out by just after 3 min. "Good Grinder" is an interesting comment. Burr Grinder, is what you'll really need to make proper adjustments and manage your extraction properly.
I have the Acacia scale. I aim for 95 grams with the plastic filter, paper and finely ground coffee. Unfortunately, the expensive Acacia doesn't work. So I generally use 4 or 5 scoops with half mug of Yeti. It's better this week, with Gutamela. Last week was Uganda, like dishwater. Rancilio Rocky grinder. I've been using a Canadian supplier, with free shipping. Maybe I'll go back to sweet Maria, with expensive shipping and U.S. prices.

amtun13892

Jan 26, 2024
ca
Visit site

thanks,

Jack
weaker coffee depends on so many factors, most importantly ratio of grind to water. 1:16 is good start. , type of bean, origin, roast level, grind size, brew time ( exposture of bean to water) etc.

Darya000

Mar 15, 2024
USA
Visit site
Firstly, adjusting the coffee-to-water ratio and experimenting with a slightly higher amount of coffee grounds could lead to a stronger brew. Additionally, ensuring that your coffee beans are freshly roasted and properly stored will contribute to a more flavorful cup.

Secondly, pay attention to the grind size of your beans and the water temperature used for brewing. Optimal grind size and water temperature are crucial for achieving the desired extraction and flavor profile in pour-over coffee.

Lastly, refining your brewing technique, including pour pattern and brew time, can further enhance the quality of your coffee. With these adjustments, you should be able to enjoy a more satisfying cup of pour-over coffee without having to resort to your espresso machine