Connecting a roaster to my computer.

elchepa

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Hello Folks, I just got a roaster Primo PRI-TT 12, and now I am in the process of getting the device and cables to be able to connect the thermocouple to my Macbook. I am thinking about using Typica software. Any idea of where to look for the right equipment for the best price?? that would be highly appreciated! Thanks

empeg9000

Jul 15, 2014
East Greenbush, NY
Visit site
I am doing this right now with my Ozturk and setting it up on Typica. I went with the Phidgets 1048. I think I spent $120 at the most. Then you need thermocouple extension wire. You can only buy it in a 50ft roll but it was only $33 from Omega.
I am having a problem getting accurate reading but I think I may not have a good connection. It's not typica becauese I am getting funky readings even though the phidget software.

MillCityRoasters

Jun 25, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Visit site
I am doing this right now with my Ozturk and setting it up on Typica. I went with the Phidgets 1048. I think I spent $120 at the most. Then you need thermocouple extension wire. You can only buy it in a 50ft roll but it was only $33 from Omega.
I am having a problem getting accurate reading but I think I may not have a good connection. It's not typica becauese I am getting funky readings even though the phidget software.

Your funky readings are either because you have the wires crossed or because you jumpered the same thermocouple into two devices. Double output thermocouples are joined at the junction and output an identical dielectric induced current along both pair of wires as they heat up. Daisy chaining an existing thermocouple from the PID to your Phidget will often give you differing voltage to each device.

That's not necessarily the end of your roasting world if your readouts are stable and repeatable. You'll still have a roast log, but your temperatures will be unique to your setup. Something like first crack at 300F instead of 390F. You can get used to that and use it for your purposes. If you have capacitance discharge (spikes and drops in the temperature log), that's another story.

Warning: Free Advice Ahead

Get a drill and tap set and install a set of dedicated data logging thermocouples where you need them. It's really not all that hard and usually eliminates most of these kind of issues.

empeg9000

Jul 15, 2014
East Greenbush, NY
Visit site
Your funky readings are either because you have the wires crossed or because you jumpered the same thermocouple into two devices. Double output thermocouples are joined at the junction and output an identical dielectric induced current along both pair of wires as they heat up. Daisy chaining an existing thermocouple from the PID to your Phidget will often give you differing voltage to each device.
That! I had my wires hooked up wrong. I realized I needed to go by the wire material not the color per se on the extension wire. Once I did this I started getting better numbers

That's not necessarily the end of your roasting world if your readouts are stable and repeatable. You'll still have a roast log, but your temperatures will be unique to your setup. Something like first crack at 300F instead of 390F. You can get used to that and use it for your purposes. If you have capacitance discharge (spikes and drops in the temperature log), that's another story.
Yes as I have gotten used to my roaster I realized my numbers may not match someone elses but I am in the same area every time. This is part of the reason I wanted to go to the logging so I can at least keep track of it. The journal to mark down times and coffee used got old really fast.

Warning: Free Advice Ahead

Get a drill and tap set and install a set of dedicated data logging thermocouples where you need them. It's really not all that hard and usually eliminates most of these kind of issues.
Will doing this get me more accurate readings? Is there a brand that is better than others? Also are you supposed to occaisionaly clean the thermocoupler? WHen I pulled out my bean temp probe it had lots of build up so I cleaned that off.

elchepa

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Double Themocouple

Double output thermocouples are joined at the junction and output an identical dielectric induced current along both pair of wires as they heat up. .

Thanks Steve. So you are saying that a double output thermocouple is a good way to go. Do you know where to buy one of those? Currently I have a J type installed so maybe is good to maintain the same. I am looking at omega.com but is not clear if it is the product I need.

thanks