Crazy, yep the first sentence will show just how crazy and foolish

Marv

Sep 23, 2022
Northwest Indiana
Visit site
For 7 years I am still unable to make anything near a consistent - close your eyes, relish the smooth burst of flavor moment, and want to drink shot after shot all day long. In addition, I have no idea which shot is sour and which is bitter. I'm not finely tuned that way. :rolleyes: But 99% of the time, for 7 years pulling shots, I'm forever wondering if I'll ever have to really call 911. Yes, it's just that bad.

So, here's the run down.

1.) I'm not a professional; I just want a good hazelnut latte consistently everyday​
2.) But the following has not helped for 7 years​
3.) Baby Gaggia Espresso Machine about 7 years old​
4.) Baratza Sette 30 with a sette 270 grind adjuster​
5.) IMS 55 mm Precision Group Head Screen - GA 200 IM​
6.) Cafelat Silicone Group Gasket - blue color​
7.) VST Portafilter basket​
7.) I grind either 16 ounces or 17 ounces of fresh beans at a time​
8.) After grinding I use the WDT (Weiss Distribution Technique)​
9.) Then one firm tamp with a very minor twist as I lift the tamper up​
10) Now the part you'll all probably laugh at: Decaf WHOLE Beans
11.) I have tried: Coffee Bean Direct CO2 Decaf Espresso Coffee, Dark Roast;​
Kicking Horse Coffee, Decaf, Swiss Water Process, Dark Roast, Whole Bean; Verena Street​
2 Pound Whole Bean, Swiss Water Process Decaf Beans, Sunday Drive Decaffeinated, Medium Roast;​
SF Bay Coffee DECAF Espresso Whole Bean 2LB (32 Ounce) Dark Roast Natural Water Processed;​
DECAF Hurricane Espresso Whole Bean Coffee 2LB (32 Ounce) Medium Dark Roast Natural Water Processed Decaffeinated USDA Organic; and MAYORGA COFFEE SWISS WATER DECAFFEINATED CAFÉ CUBANO ROAST, 2lb Bag, the World's Smoothest Organic Coffee, Specialty-Grade, Non-GMO, Kosher, Direct Trade, 100% Whole Arabica Beans;​
12.) Now for the CRAZY ignorant part for a person that is very tuned into detail in life​
13.) For 7 years I've been lucky enough to have maybe 10 knock down drag out wonderful pulls​
14) I used every grind setting with the exception of drawing the shots over the whole beans themselves​
15.) Slow draws, fast draws; 7 seconds to 35 seconds to choking the machine;​
16.) Good pucks most of the time but sometimes standing water in the basket. a great puck is the last​
thing I try to make perfect but most all the time I don't do too bad.​
17.) Here's another dandy crazy: whenever I do strike it rich with a good smooth dark pull - I turn off​
the machine without writing down what I did - but come back the next day draw a shot with yesterday's settings and thank​
goodness I still remember the 911 numbers - pure sour, bitter, burnt crap.​
18.) The machine and all the parts mentioned above and grinder are thoroughly cleaned once a week​
19.) One final point forgotten to mention - Fresh filtered water straight from an osmosis system​
20) As far as I know the Baby Gaggia is not capable of back flushing; I just read that somewhere in the last two months.​
So, to cap this off - without any of you being by my side - WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING WRONG?????? I'd like to step up just a hair and try the Breville Barista Express Espresso Machine but cannot even afford it at $1100.00 a month coming in. Tough problem all this but there has to be a solution somewhere.

Ahead of time,
Thanks to the forum for trying to help, or even thinking about, trying to me solve this craziness.

Marv

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
A big part of your challenge is the decaf.... I'm not a hater... but to decaffeinate the beans they have to rehydrate the beans in solvent and/or water and then re-dry. It simply changes the cellular structure and I find decaf's hard to dial in with espresso. I would certainly start by finding a local roaster and try that first. Look for something that started as a high-grown bean (1500 MASL or higher). Some of your equipment is on the low end but certainly nothing wrong with anything. It sounds like you have the process down so I wouldn't overthink that as well. And lastly, espresso is a bit of a picky bitch... it changes with temp/humidity / etc so nothing is set, and forget with espresso.