crying coffee cup?

Flori

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
not really a fan of drinking my coffee in a styro cup. Always carry my coffee mug. Better to be safe and it helps the environment :).

Flori
Blogger, Coffeeloversofworld.com

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Jrnysnd...I get your humor..it made my morning. As to elitist...I will not drink crappy coffee. I am sorry but I would rather go with out. Perfect example. I met this guy who was doing supplement infused coffee at a convention. I drank his swill. I was polite about it though and muscled down the whole cup. He invited me to tour his roasting plant. Two months later I took him up on his offer. I walked the plant and then asked if the machine sitting in front of me was what I thought it was. He said it was to sort coffee. I then yelled at him and said," you let me drink floor sweepings??" The machine he had sorted garbage such as rocks, spent cigarettes and what ever else gets swept off the floors of coffee storage warehouses. He then said he can cut his costs by buying the floor sweepings. So yes, I will pass on bad coffee.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I walked the plant and then asked if the machine sitting in front of me was what I thought it was. He said it was to sort coffee. I then yelled at him and said," you let me drink floor sweepings??" The machine he had sorted garbage such as rocks, spent cigarettes and what ever else gets swept off the floors of coffee storage warehouses. He then said he can cut his costs by buying the floor sweepings. So yes, I will pass on bad coffee. [/COLOR]

~ Topher, It appears that you already knew what the machine was for. How is that??? Did you know someone else who sorted floor sweepings?

Yuck! The thought of it is going to stick in my head all day today.

Rose

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I had seen pictures. Scary what is out there. This is the same guy that told me that he roasts his coffee in 4 minutes. He said he takes his 4 bagger gets it real hot and drops one bag in....sigh. Surprised he hasn't burned his place down.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I'm surprised people actually buy his coffee. It must taste terrible.

Did he tell you he roasted his coffee in 4 minutes before you forced yourself to drink a cup, or later on when you were touring his plant?

It's only a matter of time before he sets his place on fire. I hope he has plenty of fire extinguishers and hoses close by.

alank

May 5, 2013
Florida
Visit site
coffeejunkie - I understand your situation.

It's not a good idea to drink from a styrofoam cup because they contain a known chemical (Styrene) that causes cancer or birth defects. I know, there's a lot of things out there that are harmful and we can't just bury ourselves under a rock. I try to stay clear of these things as much as possible. I try to finish my cup of coffee and not take it to go. How about carrying your own coffee cup?

jenadaex

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
I suspect there's a solvent of some kind that's hanging around a little in the decaf from when they removed the caffeine. Super critical co2 is the main way, which I don't think would cause this. Acetone dissolves Styrofoam really well though, probably something in that family.