Cupping results of Olas African beans

Robertlee

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I received the order from Olas in San Jose. Ola is a wonderfully gregarious man from East African and has a good knowledge of the farms in the area. It was with high expectations I ordered both his Kenya AA and the rare Tanzania AAA. What I received may have at one time been those beans and if I concentrated I could tell the varietal notes, but barely. They had been roasted to charcoal status where all you get is roast flavor with very little of the regional flavors left. Upon further research I found that many of the folks who roast in East Africa do it that way, but it is also a way to disguise lesser beans within a bag. My search for really good African coffees continues.

namballe

Aug 24, 2012
Lima, Peru
Visit site
let me see if i got this correctly: you bought roasted coffee beans from East Africa, and had them shipped to you? where are you located? did you ask for a return of your money?
note to self: never order coffee from "Olas" in San Jose.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Maybe I'm reading between the lines, but it appears that RobertLee bought roasted Kenya AA and Tanzania AA beans from a place called Olas in San Jose. Ola roasted the beans the way they roast them in East Africa, which means the beans were roasted to a charcoal status. So, Ola was either thinking that's the way they are supposed to be roasted, or he was trying to disguise a poor quality bean.

And the search for good African coffee continues. .... Bye Bye Ola!

namballe

Aug 24, 2012
Lima, Peru
Visit site
Maybe I'm reading between the lines, but it appears that RobertLee bought roasted Kenya AA and Tanzania AA beans from a place called Olas in San Jose. Ola roasted the beans the way they roast them in East Africa, which means the beans were roasted to a charcoal status. So, Ola was either thinking that's the way they are supposed to be roasted, or he was trying to disguise a poor quality bean.

And the search for good African coffee continues. .... Bye Bye Ola!
yes, they are located in San Jose, CA. seems they got really good reviews on their coffee, but like always, everyone's palate is different.

Robertlee

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
No, Ola is a man from East Africa who has a business roasting and selling beans and coffee drinks in San Jose. Sorry for any confusion.

Robertlee

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Found a source that appears promising

First off, some folks may wonder why, if I live in a large city with a very diverse international base, Las Vegas, am I searching for good beans elsewhere. Well, two primary reasons, one, really good varietal beans simply are not sold here. Both Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf (best tea ever btw), and Starbucks sell mostly varietals sourced in vast amounts, too large for their people on the ground to reasonably check for quality and most people are satisfied with a rather average vanilla cup. When the Kona tastes almost the same as the Kona blend and the Costa Rican may as well be Colombian there is a problem. The french word terroir (ter-waw) is the set of special characteristics that the geography, geology and climate of a certain place can be noted and experienced in the cup. It may be snobbish, but there you are. A trully properly sourced, roasted and brewed cup of coffee reveals its terroir just as a truly fine wine does its.

I just received a package of Kenya AA beans from a place through Amazon (yes I know, but their warehouse is literally 6 miles from my home), Coffee Roasters LLC. I chose them because they appear, through research to actually source individual farm AA beans and the roast the use is what is sometimes called the American Roast, the beans are the color of milk chocolate so the bean is caramelized and not charred. Just as a good steak has to be browned allowing the milliard reaction to create the complex flavors that make the dish succulent, so it is with coffee beans. Of course, I'm preaching to the choir here. The other reason, because a few very helpful folks suggested some other sources privately, was CR LLC was the only one to have Kenya AA and it is my favorite everyday cup and I was out.

Cupping notes will be posted tomorrow.

kboom1

Nov 27, 2011
NE Pennsylvania
Visit site
Maybe you should start roasting your own. Just to give you a clue on your search for beans, Tanzania AAA is not that rare . I have sourced this Varietal at Bermans for the last 3 years and Kenya AA's are always available somewhere :wink:

Robertlee

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Much appreciated. Being a west coast individual, I am not that familiar with businesses on the other side of the Mississippi. Burmans is near the Great Lakes, right? As for roasting my own, from your keyboard to my wife's agreement to me smoking up the kitchen.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
If the letters AA, or AAA, or even AB for that matter, in a Kenya's title are related to screen size (which I believe it is) then I wouldn't get too hung up about it. I have a Kenya AB Nyeri Tegu that is top-notch. For all intents and purposes, the quality of the bean isn't related to the size of the beans.

kboom1

Nov 27, 2011
NE Pennsylvania
Visit site
Much appreciated. Being a west coast individual, I am not that familiar with businesses on the other side of the Mississippi. Burmans is near the Great Lakes, right? As for roasting my own, from your keyboard to my wife's agreement to me smoking up the kitchen.

Simple solution (find a new wife) just joking wife!!

Robertlee

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Ok, cupping notes on the beans I received yesterday, (and Peter is right, as in most things, size doesn't matter), opening the bag I am immediatly hit with the aroma I expected, that mocha/chocolate spiciness good east African beans properly roasted are known for. Upon grinding that same aroma fills the kitchen. The initial cupping is done using the proportions I ordinarily use for two large cups, a bit stronger than what is poured in most coffee shops...my own preference. Brewing brings out the more subtle aromas, some citrus, cardamon, balsamic and hints of vanilla. Sipping without any cream I taste that wine-like effervescence I look for along with an almost sour mash bourbon as a mid note along with more of the balsamic. The finish is sweet with the spice notes mellowing into vanilla, toast and a natural mocha quality. I am not at all unhappy with this purchase.