Difference between Pour over and french press

satwgill

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone, I must say I am not much of a coffee drinker. I drink English tea and I enjoy it. Most of my friends drink coffee are pretty much addicted to it. Its fascinating to me. Its fascinating to me that people also line up at Starbucks for 20 minutes to get their coffee. ..... Does starbucks use French press coffee? If there was a starbucks across the street that made their coffee using pour over coffee but there was even longer line ups would everyone go there because of taste? What I am trying to ask is that does EVERYONE prefer pour over instead of French press? Is it just the matter of waiting a long time for a cup of pour over for chains like starbucks to not do pour over... I would think that if someone was able to introduce pour over coffee to suits in financial districts etc.. they would really want to continue to drink it.. Could people chime in and advise on a potential viability of strictly pour over chain of coffee stores? Would you be a customer? Im assuming you would pay probably double the amount for a starbucks coffee but the coffee is that much better? Thanks

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Sorry Slurp..but Starbucks will do a pour over for you. I know because my daughter wanted a drink from there and I figured I would try their "blonde" coffee. I order it and they told me they were not serving it today...but would gladly make me a pour over.

satwgill

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Sorry Slurp..but Starbucks will do a pour over for you. I know because my daughter wanted a drink from there and I figured I would try their "blonde" coffee. I order it and they told me they were not serving it today...but would gladly make me a pour over.

thanks maybe its a state by state difference? Are you in Florida?

Mar 28, 2011
Connecticut
Visit site
Hi everyone, I must say I am not much of a coffee drinker. I drink English tea and I enjoy it. Most of my friends drink coffee are pretty much addicted to it. Its fascinating to me. Its fascinating to me that people also line up at Starbucks for 20 minutes to get their coffee. ..... Does starbucks use French press coffee? If there was a starbucks across the street that made their coffee using pour over coffee but there was even longer line ups would everyone go there because of taste? What I am trying to ask is that does EVERYONE prefer pour over instead of French press? Is it just the matter of waiting a long time for a cup of pour over for chains like starbucks to not do pour over... I would think that if someone was able to introduce pour over coffee to suits in financial districts etc.. they would really want to continue to drink it.. Could people chime in and advise on a potential viability of strictly pour over chain of coffee stores? Would you be a customer? Im assuming you would pay probably double the amount for a starbucks coffee but the coffee is that much better? Thanks

Starbucks will do a pour over for you at many locations. The thing to keep in mind is that even if they have the equipment some of their employees do not have a clue as to how to correctly do a pourover. I had a pourover on 2 separate occassions; one was terrible (the water was just dumped in to grounds that were way too coarse), and the other was fantastic (the employee was very familiar on how to make them). I exchanged the 1st one for drip; very disgusted with the whole thing and just wanted to leave.

Len

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
I too had a pour over cup at a Starbucks in CT. They only offered the choice of pour over brew after being told I would have to wait for the next brew cycle to finish. It was not memorable, but not terrible either. As Len stated, not all the baristas are skilled in this brewing technique.

slurp

Jun 24, 2014
Hollywood Fl
Visit site

I gonna have to test this tomorrow!!!!!! Hope no one sees me in a starbucks.

Bacchus

Nov 9, 2014
No. California
Visit site

i have a french press press that I pretty much wore out before I finally got tired of the sludge in my mug. I then switched to a Melitta pour-over which works well but offers no control over steeping time. I then went to a Clever Dripper which solved my problem. Hope this helps..... ��

turmeric

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
Our Starbucks (in OR) has a Clover and they will make a cup for you with that. I've had it and had better elsewhere. Methinks the same problem, some employees are better at it than others. I want to get a Chemex, b/c they're beautiful.

turmeric

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
$480 US DOLLARS for an Automatic Chemex ! (and probably not as good!)
I guess you are 199 years old and too weak to pour the water over coffee, then, you might need one.

when I was in Hong Kong shopping mall, buying a reading glasses, i saw a glasses frame costing $9999.00 (US dollars!!!!!). so I asked the lady why it is soooo expensive?
and she said that many Chinese mainland people who has so much money to burn comes to Hong Kong and specially order a frame made out of 18K gold with some diamonds on it. So, they pre-made some of them for those people..... on the other hand, El Salvador coffee farmer family (family of 4) makes $10 a day, picking about 100 lbs of coffee cherries.
I wasn't looking at an automatic Chemex, just the beautiful carafe designed to use a filter and let you manually pour-over. I can pick up one of those for about $38.