Do you support local artists and craftspeople?

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Vars,

the problem is owners using cheap ingredients and not making anything worth coming for.

Being a coffeegeek, or coffee enthusiast, etc. implies that you are about coffee as a culinary experience. If that is the premise, there is always a quality niche to fill, as it is so sparse in the coffee industry.

Consumers can only be directed by the education provided by the owners, and the best way to educate is by what's in the cup. After having something exceptional, the questions will begin. And once you have quality, whether it's seafood, gelato, or espresso.... you can never go back.

ElPugDiablo

Vars said:
Most regular cafe goers, I observe, only buy the cheapest coffee, which is no better than McDonalds' coffee at most cafes (surely not yours) and sometimes actually worse.

They hang out at the cafe because they are seeking refuge. It's the "Third Place" that Starbucks brochures and training manuals talk about.

For potential customers who are not merely seeking refuge, you need some way to draw them in and make them think that going to a cafe is a "special occasion" and worth of a $4 latte.

Most cafes in America just don't live up to that wish.

No music. No art. Nothing ... except so-so coffee at the price people are set on paying.

So people spend $1-1.50, stay for a half-hour thinking "it's better than Chuck E Cheese anyway" and then they leave.

And then frustrated indy cafe owners wonder why Charbucks has taken over, or blame the consumer.

You see, the consumer isn't at fault. It's actually the cafe owners who wrongly assume everyone is a coffee geek like them.

It's a classic business mistake.
So vars, do you think people will drive or walk pass 2 Starbucks, 5 Dunkin Donuts and 3 independent coffee shops everyday to your place because your have local art works, live music and comfy chairs? The "special occasion" IS your coffee, your coffee knowledge and your charming personality.

If most cafes in the US have no music no art and only so-so coffee, and Starbucks have no music no are and only so-so coffee. Aren't they on equal footing? The sad fact is many coffee shops have horrible coffee and are filthily dirty. The only selling point is that they are indie. And by hanging a few painting from local folks they think they have earned the right of a loyal following. If you ask me, Starbucks is doing those communities a great favor by establishing a standard, albeit a relatively low standard, that these indie can't meet.

Also, for your consideration, 70% of transactions are to go orders. Painting, live music, free wife and what not means nothing to 70% of your customers. Quality product, clean environment, efficient and friendly service is how you earn your money.

Vars

Jul 20, 2008
Visit site
John P said:
Vars,
Consumers can only be directed by the education provided by the owners, and the best way to educate is by what's in the cup. After having something exceptional, the questions will begin.

OK, I see what you mean.

But I've been to several cafes where they roast their own beans and yet they still get it wrong. Maybe they were using old beans, and it was a freshness issue?

So far, the best coffees I've ever had in the US were from beans I bought myself at health food stores, which were organic.

Vars

Jul 20, 2008
Visit site
ElPugDiablo said:
So vars, do you think people will drive or walk pass 2 Starbucks, 5 Dunkin Donuts and 3 independent coffee shops everyday to your place because your have local art works, live music and comfy chairs? The "special occasion" IS your coffee, your coffee knowledge and your charming personality.

In my experience in cities in California, people do drive the extra block to find the artsy indie cafe.

If the place has good coffee or some other draw, they're more likely to return.

http://www.businessweek.com/smallbiz/co ... 057710.htm interesting article- with some contributions from our very own A.H!

As always Var(s) has opened a lively topic, with lively contributions from all! Not being in the US somewhat restricts me from commenting, however I like the "free wife" concept, as long as it does not mean I have to cut another credit card for her- which would a/. make my first wife demand an increased credit limit and b/. bankrupt me!

Again I would say that despite all we say about our infamous S.B buddies, they do raise the bar amove zero in communities not used to specialty coffee and drive the Indies to improve, innovate and to offer quality service and product to their customers.

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
As much as I'm biting my lip to comment on the free wife thing.... :D

In Vars’ defense, I absolutely agree that small business as a whole would ultimately benefit by supporting other small businesses.

An example mentioned was coffee mugs… We have the option of purchasing mugs from a mass producer (big business), which offers a lower overall price per unit investment. Although this seems to be the wiser choice, ultimately we are perpetuating the growth of those corporate “monoliths” and leaving the small potter out of our investment decisions.
We are the small potters, the local artists, the small coffee shop owners, etc.

This forum is great because we learn about all of the independent roasters and coffee shops and are able to purchase quality coffees from them, versus having only the big mass producers of coffee on the supermarket shelves or the big chain coffee shops as our option.

I don’t agree that “local” is the key as much as “small business” is the key, but I get the point. To elaborate, if we live out in the mountains or desert areas, of course we’d have to seek out non-local ingredients and materials.

As a small bakery, I am able to get fresh butter and eggs delivered from local farms and coffee from a local roaster, which is great. I could easily add those items to my big distributor orders, but enjoy the camaraderie of dealing with the local small businesses, as much as possible.

I for one will be paying more attention to my purchases and will look for an independent potter for custom mugs. For now, CafePress is my fast food solution for mugs. Anyone know of a good pottery forum? :D

Vars, we see how important this is to you. Instead of just venting your frustrations, you’ve begun to offer helpful advice. I like that, keep it up.

ElPugDiablo

How come there is this politically correct modus operandi that is some how associated with coffeehouse? When I owned restaurants, I never have this type of thing to deal with. No one tell me to buy free trade/organic/shade grown/sustainable/bio degradable this or that. No one tell me to support local starving artists. And best of all, people pay $4 for a lowly Buds and don't bitch it is huehue expensive.

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
No doubt EPD, restaurants don't seem to fall into the same category as small cafes for some reason. I guess it's because *bux and others have totally spread throughout the coffee world and the smaller indies are expected to be better in more ways than just serving good coffee.

Oh well, this discussion could go astray, I was only trying to encourage Vars to stop whining before I got ticked off and said something I would regret. It was good to see Vars' change of demeanor. He/she could have come back and flipped us all off, mainly me, but instead came back to try and offer some helpful advice.

I personally don't care to take the burdens of the world's problems onto my shoulders, but to encourage someone like Var with positivity, could do more good than you think.

burkemom

Jul 26, 2008
Canada
Visit site
I love it, keep on talking about supporting local artists. It is so necessary. I am speaking as an artist who is setting up my own drive-thru bar just to promote my own art as I am tired of people wanting to take 60% of profit from a sale when I get less than half just b/c I don''t have the space. I want to open a coffe bar just to leave out my business card and some fliers with websites and other info to promote myself and others. The world needs artists and we are truly giving up. I stopped doing art for about 12 years and I am just going to go for it again. When you get such a small commission from your own work then you minus the cost of paints (for me atleast as my medium is mainly oils) then I am lucky if I don''t loose money, seriously. It is happening to music too which is why there is such a lack of diversity on the air. I love it when people start to talk about where the artist have gone and why many talented musicians settle to just play for their friends and families instead of trying to make a living at their craft. I love ipods too, but feel sorry for musicians.

schmellen

Apr 12, 2006
St. Peace
Visit site
uh oh, I must be way too correct...

We serve some free trade organic kumbaya coffee, and some locally roasted coffee to our locals and tourists. We have art hanging on our wall often made by artists from the whole Bay area, though we have had some national artists. Sometimes they are listening to local musicians, and sometimes they are listening to someone else's local... well, you know.
The artists become or are already customers, customers buy art, we take a cut, everyone wins. I think there is a sense that a coffee house functions not only as a member of the community, but as a builder of community. Not all of them do that, nor are meant to do that. Some are just there to provide a tasty shot of energy.
But on coffee mugs, plates, etc; no we don't get them locally They break too easily, and all the nice ones disappear. People are always bringing in mugs for us.
JoEllen

djveed

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
There is a little coffee place here in CT called Sono Caffeine that has some great artwork and furniture, but it's all price-tagged. I know there was an earlier post against this type of thing, but I kind of liked it. It gave the place an air of character. They won't hang or use just anything - they'll be selective about their artwork. Nonetheless it is for sale. It's a way of offering consistent change in your establishment, supporting local businesses, potentially giving yourself an added income, and giving your shop an individual flair. I'm a fan.